1600 points Tournement Battle Report

Zhukov

Hello all!

Yesterday I went to a tournement and as promised here is the battle report of it.

Intro

The tournement I went to was a 1600 points Tournement in Neimegen called Deamons and Damsels. Its a pretty big tournement, where the maxium amount of players was set at 30 people.

It had a special rulespack regarding the missions being played. Not too strange however.

I went with this army:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1302.jpg

The army list itself:

2x Prince with Wings

2x 8 Berzerkers with powerfist in a rhino

1x 7 Plagues with powerfist +2x melta in a rhino

1x 5 Plagues with 2x plasma

3x2 Obliterators

Battle 1

Mission: Victory points, with killing all his troops being a second objective worth an additional 500 vps.

Deployement: Dawn of War.

Terrain: Tau style buildings, 2 large LoS blocking buildings along with some very light cover (grass anyone?) which we agreed would offer 5+ cover.

Oponent: Eldar.

His list: Avatar, Farseer, 2x Wraithlord, 4x Guardian squad with Brightlance, 2x 3 Jetbikes, 1x 10 man Striking scorpion squad with upgrades, 1x 9 man Warp spiders squad with upgrades.

My thoughts before this battle: He plays footslogging Eldar with lots of Guardians equipped with the in my opinion worst weapon. For that reason alone I should win this one, as I'm playing with an optimised list. He had 6 troops I had to kill though for the secondary objective and he's got quite some ranged fire power so I will suffer casualties no matter what I do.

I won the dice roll and ordered him to go first. He deployed 2 guardian squad with the Avatar near the middle line. I deployed 2 empty rhinos about 7 inch from the board side along with 1 Prince hiding behind a pillar.

First turn: He did not much, walked up with the Avatar, did not see anything with his guardians due to night fight.

Everything from me came on the field. Berzerkers hopped into the rhinos, moved up 12 inch and popped smokes. Princes moved up too, along with the Plagues in the rhinos. My obliterators were 'blobbing' near my board edge along with my Plasma Plague squad. All my Obliterators failed to see the Avatar...Throwing 3 times a 15" inch for night fight seeing. Plagues didnt not do anything either.

I started a bit lazy with this Battle, I didnt really think too much about what to do, I was a little bit sleepy :D Roughly my plan was: Obliterators shooting down the Avatar and Wraithlords, Berzerkers + Princes + Plague in rhino destroying all his troops. Pretty simple eh?

This was the situation now:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1295.jpg

Turn 2:

Avatar runs towards my Plagues/Obliterators, Wraithlords move up and try to shoot. Guardians shoot down 1 Obliterator + Rhino gets shaken. Red Prince gets 3 wounds shot off by the Warp spiders.

I move up all my rhinos more, while staying inside of it. Not whilling to take any risk, I move the Plagues outside of the charging range of the Avatar. Obliterators shoot some wounds off the Avatar. Green Prince charges warpspiders, killing 5 with his 5 attacks. They manage however to make their Ld 4 test, followed by a hit and run move. Red Prince fails to charge the Guardian squad, because I dont throw above 2 Inch with 3 dice for charging into cover. Ah well, bad dice happen.

Turn 3:

His striking scorpions arrive and outflank on near my Green Prince. Warp Spiders manage to take off 3 wounds of the Green Prince, Striking scorpions finishing him off with shooting alone. He destroys a rhino and fails to do much else. His avatar could not do much as he could not charge anything.

I take out the Avatar, charge with my Red Prince 3 Jetbikes, they lose 2 models and make their Ld test heh, lucky me as that means i'm not standing in the open the next round. Berzerkers who whose transport was gone charge and kill a guardian squad along with finishing off a Wraithlord with the Berzerker powerfist. (I wounded him already with a Lasscanon, Meltaguns fired from the hatch failed) The Plague Marines so had moved 6 Inch and my other Berzerker squad full 12 inch in their rhino.

Turn 4: He shoots with his guardians at my berzerker squad and downed them to 1 man left. Wraithlord shoots of a bolter from my rhino. Red Prince kills the last jetbike and consolidates towards his other Jetbike squad.

My Obliterators manage only to take 1 wound off the Wraithlord. My Prince charges the other jetbike squad and kills it. (big mistake of him, he should have turboboosted those further away). Plague decide to shoot their meltas at the wraithlord and failing. (my plan was opening up on 1 of the Guardian squads, but now the Wraithlord was standing with 2 wounds left I thought it would be wiser to hope for 1 wound left so I didnt get bogged down against the Wraithlord in CC. A powerfist does on average only 0.5 wound agains it so)

My berzerkers jump out and fire their pistols at guardians killing some. My lonely Berzerkers charged and died, taking 1 guardian with him.

This was now the situation:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1296-1.jpg

Turn 5:

He fires at my berzerkers with his Farseer + guardian squad and charges after that. I knew this was not a good idea. Yes charging is better than getting charged, but moving away is an option too. Now his whole squad + farseer ran away and I still had 7 man left. Other guardians manage to kill 1 Plague marine and the Wraithlord charges the squad killing another 1. I do nothing in return with the Powerfist. Red Prince gets of course killed by the Warp Spiders. However this expensive part of his army (Scorpions + Spiders) only killed 2 Princes and did nothing the rest of the battle, which was of course part of my plan, they were not troops after all.

My berzerker squad no was able to multiple charge both guardian squad left + I putted the Powerfist champ against the Wraithlord. I killed everything. Both Rhinos I kept near the retreating Guardians + Farseer so they kept running.

Battle was over now, as playing a 6th turn was useless: He could not do anything with his Scorpions + Spiders anymore and me neither in return.

Result: I killed all his troops so got the extra 500 vps. I had not lost too much (both Princes + 1 Berzerker squad and a single Obliterator) and he lost everything except those Spiders and Scorpions.

Score: 16-4. (22 vps short for 18-2... ah well), giving me a 6th place atm.

Battle 2

Mission: The field would be devided into 6 squares each of 24x24"inch. Each square counts as an Objective. (so only troops could hold them, no enemy in the squares or the'll contest). Bonus objective was counting as holding 1 extra objective if you killed more than 500 vps difference.

Deployement: Spearhead.

Terrain: Horrible. Only a few buildings in the corners of the map. The complete middle of the board was only filled up with some Lava-like rivers, offering only 5+ cover to infantry.

Oponent: Imperial guard, scored 18-2 so far.

His list: Command squad with Master of Ordnace, Infantry platoon with Flamer command squad + 3x Las/plas infantry squad + 1 3x Autocanon heavy weapons squad. 1x Penal Legion squad, 1x Melta vets in chimera. 2x Psyker battle squads on foot, 1 Ogryn squad in Chimera, 1x Hydra, 1x Manticore, 1x Leman Russ Exterminator. (autocanon and heavy bolters)

My thoughts before the battle: Not an optimised list by my oponent, however he did win with 18-2 and imo IG is the strongest Codex. On top of that the terrain was a nightmare for me. He could just open fire and I could do nothing about it. So this could prove difficult for me.

He won the dice roll and went of course first... We both deployed and this was the result:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1297.jpg

As you can see I just deployed everything as forward as I could, no need to hide the Princes behind rhinos; if he would be smart he'll shoot at the rhinos anyway so. I hold 1 Obliterator squad in reserve, he his Penal Legion squad. My plan was again pretty simple (always keep plans simple as many things can change during a battle): hold him back in the corner, so I will hold more Squares/objectives than him and so win heh.

Turn 1: He shoot down 1 Obliterator with his psyker battle squads, he shoot down 1 Berzerker rhino and stuns the other Berzerker rhino, leaving the pretty immobile right away. He moves his some of his forces a little.

I move forward and running with both Princes, moving up the Plagues Rhino + popping smokes. Berzerkers move towards the Ruïn where templates lay on the picture. Other berzerkers stay inside and pop smoke with their rhino. Obliterators fail to do anything against the hydra.

Turn 2: He stuns the Plagues rhino and shoot a bolter of it. He takes all 4 Wounds of the Red Prince and so he dies in agony.

In my turn my Obliterators arrive from reserve and Land near where my codex is on the picture, burning away his Infantry squad who was planning to hold that Square. Other obliterators stun the Hydra and shooting some Psykers down, which makes them run of the table. Green Prince charges and kills the other Psyker battle squad (the left squad of Red guys on the picture). Berzerkers move up in the rhino towards somewhere left on the picture. Plagues get out of their rhino and move towards the middle of the board, I felt it was useless to wait another turn in the rhino, just to get blast out of it and still having to run. This way I got at least closer to him. My Berzerkers on foot moved further through the ruïns to the right.

Turn 3: He puts 3 wounds on my Green Prince. His penal legion arrives and outflanks on the left side and walk into a ruïn (not shown on the picture), where my berzerkers were heading towards too. He bumps his Hq command squad towards my Obliterators (the deepstriked ones), to block me from reaching his tanks.

My Prince charges and kills the Veterans chimera, killing quite some in the explosion. My Berzerkers in the rhino hop out in the ruins, planning to either get charged or charging next turn. (Penal legion has no frags, so even with furious charge I would still be hitting first anyway). Obliterators only manage to shake the Hydra and the other Obliterators burned down the command squad to 1 man, failing to charge afterwards. (S&P roll failed). Plagues on foot move up a little.

Turn 4: He kills of the Prince with the Vets, where the Ogryns failed to shoot him down after disembarking. He kills 3 Plagues and he charges his Penal legion into my Berzerker squad, I killed 6 of the 8, but due to stubborn they acted bravely and stood their ground.

My turn I kill with the Plague a flamer command squad. My Obliterators were shooting like they didnt want to do anything the whole game, they shook the Hydra again I think and thats about it. Berzerkers killed off the last penals. Other berzerkers just kept moving towards the right.

Turn 5: This would be the last turn, due to the time schedule. Plagues marines withered a storm of fire, another 3 died, but 1 Man was still standing. FnP FTW. He didnt too much else.

So in my turn my Obliterators to the right manage to contest 'his corner', where he was standing with his tanks + some troops. My 2 rhinos moved towards the other Square he was holding (up in the middle), so they contested. My both berzerkers squad scored a square, along with my singel plague marines and my Plague Plasma squad. (who's been camping the whole game in 'my' corner in a ruïn)

Result: I holded 4 squares and he none. I didnt matter how much each killed, as if you holded 3 or more squares then you got a massacre anyway. But in the end I didnt lose too much. Both Princes again and a rhino + almost a complete Plague squad and 1 Obliterator. This game turned out to be more easy than I initially thought. His list just didnt had an awefull lot of firepower compared to IG standards.

Score: 20-0, so 36 out of 40 giving me 2nd place so far.

Battle 3

Mission: Kill points. Units worth more than 200 points are worth 2 KP's, 300+ is worth 3 KP's.

Deployment: well pictures will make this clearer, its like a normal 12 inch deployment, but lines being drew from a corner towards the middle on the other sides. So you still got 24 between both forces at least, but the space you have to deploy is in the from of a triangle.

Terrain: Very little terrain, another dissapointing table; but in this case it didnt matter much for both.

Oponent: orks.

Army: Warboss on bike, 7 Man Nob biker squad of death. (maxium wound allocation etc), 3 x 30 man Ork Mobs. (all shootas with Nobs + powerklaw of course), 1x 15 man Lootas squad.

My thought before this battle: Well I was a little nervous tbh. This guy has won some big tournements, he just won against the No 1. of our country with 18-2 and he plays with a rock hard Ork list. Its really an optimised list. On top of that: the No 1. of our country said he thought I would get pretty much massacred, the more because I dont have Lash. Ah well I dont care too much about what others say, as I know how strong my list and myself are so I'll just do my best and see what it brings me eh?

Deployement: he wins the dice roll and goes first. He deployed as best as he could. Nob bikers in the middle. Mobs on each side and Lootas deployed well too of course. You cant to much different with Orks anyway haha. I deployed far away from his Nob bikers, keeping everything clustered together. Berzerkers in rhinos near the front line, plagues behind it.

This:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1298.jpg

Now this game I just wanted to play 'perfect', making no mistakes and just outplaying my oponent, of course you always try this but I was really focused now. My plan was 'shielding' my forces from the Nob bikers with the Obliterators. They should act like some kind of wall he needs to go through. My berzerkers + Princes needed to handle his Huge Mobs with help of the Plagues. I just need to get the charge constantly, as soon as he charges me I lose something. Nob bikers cannot be ignored as everything they charge die too. The only time I ever lost with these kinda chaos lists was against a similar list like this Ork list, so I was warned.

Turn 1: He moves up his mobs, turboboosts his Nob bikers forwards, not straight to me. His lootas wreck the right Berzerker rhino.

My turn, I shoot down 1 Nob bikers with my Obliterators who I moved in such a way that I was 19 inch away from him (good guessing of course here, as I couldnt meassure it eh). I only move a little bit with the rest, not getting into his max 18" charge range with Waagh!, popping smokes, hiding Berzerkers from the lootas behind the wrecked rhino.

Turn 2: He shoots some rockets from his Mobs at my rhinos, but doesnt do a thing. Lootas shake and weapon destroy a rhino, Nob bikers move (not turboboost) after the little round building near to my Obliterators on the picture, fails shooting at my Obliterators.

My Obliterators seemed to try and rolling as much 1's as they could again, I took 1 wound of the Warboss though. When he was shooting his rockets, he was 13.5" away from my rhino with berzerkers in it. Berzerker charge range from a rhino is almost 15", so I could charge his big mob on the left, trying with my rhino to let him get as less Orks able to hit in return as possible. The Hug Mob in the middle however would destroy my berzerkers in return! I guessed though that my Deamon Prince would just be in charge range of that mob. I did some math and came to the conclusion he would be able to hold them up for at least another turn for at least 80% certainty, so he would not be able to help the Left Mob. So I made my decision and made both charges. Other berzerker squad walked around their wrecked rhino and ran, so they would be able to get a charge on something next turn.

the situation was now this:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1300.jpg

Turn 3. Not to sound too arrogant, but till now I played it just really well. He also realised he had to do something now. He could not do anything else but turboboosting his Nob Bikers just near my Obliterators, doing nothing would lose him the battle too as his Lootas can only do so much. The other Mob could not charge my Prince who was left with 2 W's as he was surrounded by the Mob he just had charged, so they just moved up. His Lootas shot 1 wound from my other Prince. My berzerkers got their charged Mob below 10 man now and so they ran away due to heavy Ld Modifiers and got cut down in retreat.

In my turn I shot 6 Twinlinked Meltaguns from the Obliterators into the Nob bikers, shooting down 3(!), which made up for their crappy rolls till then. Plasma Plagues did 1 wound. I charged the remaining Nobs + Warboss with 4 Obliterators + the Green Prince, killing them all while taking 1 Obliterators as casualty in return. (Warboss died by the Green Prince before he could hit).

Both Berzerker squads (one with 4 man left from the previous combat) charged the Mob where the Red Prince obviously sturggled against. They killed the Mob of course, leaving the Prince with 1 Wound still left as a bonus! I hopped out with the Plague Marines to open fire upon the 3rd Big Mob, but I forgot to fire... ugh can happen right? Didnt matter much anymore anyway.

Turn 4. He knew of course he was getting completely massacred. He tried to score some more kill points by trying to kill my berzerkers, rhino + Prince with 1 Wound. Only the Prince died as the rhino had moved so far that he needed 6's to hit it in CC. He acknowledged his defeat and gave up. I would just have killed his last Mob leaving me with 10 Kp's against the 2 he scored (1 rhino, 1 Prince).

Result: Glorious massacre. Tbh, I havent played so well many times before. I just did almost everything right, getting the charges where and when needed, deploying very well etc.

Score: another 20-0.

with a total command points of 56 out of 60 and looking at what the others did I knew I was ended 1st right away. Even my crappy painting skills (which cost me some points here and there heh) didnt matter enough.

So I won the tourney and got to choose between a Tyranid and Space Wolves Battleforce as a price. I choose the Space wolves

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/Zjoekov/100_1303.jpg

It was a good tourney to play. Overall quite some good players and nice people to play against. I was also glad that I'm apparantly still able to win tourneys with our Chaos Codex which is getting pretty old.

I hope you like this reading this battlereport. Its not too long and I forget to take many pictures as I was to concentrated during the battles. Its also not really that detailed, but that just takes too much time.

If you like it, I think I'll make some more battlereports in the future as this didnt take that long to write.

Comments most wellcome!

I like reading this battlereport and the pictures only make it better.

Nice one on the win and as everone can see the Chaos dex is still in the top tier :(

Hey ga jij ook naar de Battle of the Clubs in Tilburg 2 mei?

the dreaded lava board . horror to any tournament player that ever played against IG or Eldar.

nice games , its always good to see how people play with more then just the list [specialy with chaos which lets be frank is a bit carbon copied each time] . specialy as the terrain was kind of a crapy [or maybe am just biased but all 3 games were horrbile as terrain goes]. perfect use of DP "that always die" and oblits . all in all big gratz.

Question, is there anything you would change in terms of list construction for the next tournament?

In the same vein, what do you think about replacing your Cult troops with basic CSMs? Doing some rough math it would get you 6-7 extra bodies on the table, depending on your loadouts.

Thanks for the congratulations.

Hey ga jij ook naar de Battle of the Clubs in Tilburg 2 mei?

Nee, gaat um niet worden denk ik, maar ik zal nog ff kijken.

Question, is there anything you would change in terms of list construction for the next tournament?
In the same vein, what do you think about replacing your Cult troops with basic CSMs?

I dont think I would change anything. Right now its a 'perfect' balance I think between the troops. The Plague Marines didnt do that much this time, but hey they didnt die either. I'm keeping the 2x Berzerkers I think. The sheer killyness of them is just so damn high when used well. The WS5 3A powerfist is just so good... Only thing for debate would be the 7 man Plague marines squad in the rhino, which could be replaced with a 10 man csm squad; same loadout. But tbh, I think the plague marines will overall still outperform those CSM's, not in damage output but in defense. Maybe in this tourney it didnt matter much, but looking overall at all the battles I played then the Plagues fit in this list better.

For those interested: In 1700 I currently include a Rhino + 1 Plague marine for the Plasma squad + 2x Mark of Nurgle for the Princes. But i'm gonna test a lot of course so this might change.

In 1500 the Plasma camper squad is gone, 2x MoN nurgle on the Princes.

Thank you for taking the time & effort to produce such a readable & appealing report. And of course, congratulations for so successfully forwarding the goals of the Heresy. ;)

I thought you were shot (pun intended) with the terrain in Game 2 - it was absolutely the wrong geography on which to face that army, and the fact that you monstered him was amazing.

Well done, sir!

Archived