Morale check while inside a vehicle?

Kronk

There are 6 guys inside a vehicle. Two guys fired weapons that have the gets hot rule. We tracked their shooting separately so that gets hot could be enforced properly. Both guys guns "got hot" and both guys failed their armor checks.

So, the unit just went from 6 guys to 4, or a 33% loss.

1. Do they make a morale check? They lost >25% of their numbers in the same shooting phase. However, does that matter in a vehicle?

1a. If so, do they immediately disembark then run off towards their board edge?

This happened on Saturday and we were at a loss. We figured that the guys would disembark and run for it. We couldn't find a rule that said you never had to make a check while in the vehicle.

Ironically, I came here today with the same question. Though my incident involved a Necron unit with the ability to force Psykers within 6" to flee.

I'm of the mind that they wouldn't disembark and flee (what are they, Orks?!) but I can't find a rule addressing this either way. Halp!

The Doom of Malentai issue (I admit I missed the debate)....I thought that was resolved with the FAQ explaining you can't target units inside a transport with abilities?

Though that admittedly does little with the issue of a plasma-overheat forcing a morale check (do you take morale checks during your own end-of-shooting phase when your opponent would?), it does suggest that the Necron force-them-to-flee power wouldn't work either.

Well, half resolved =(

Yes it is a Grey Area.

I tend to use the Vehicles and morale section BRB pg. 63.

A vehicles crew is immune to morale tests, instead they can be shaken and stunned.

While passengers are embarked they can be effected by shaken and stunned results and therefore immune to morale tests.

Not perfect but it works.

The Doom of Malentai issue (I admit I missed the debate)....I thought that was resolved with the FAQ explaining you can't target units inside a transport with abilities?

there is no such faq, the FAQ says you cannot target a unit with a psychic power unless the psyker is part of the unit in question. (although there is no such rule to support that and the FAQ even says that its simply because it was easier and they are lazy). By RAW, transports do not protect from the Dooms soul suck. There is a small rule in the buildings section that can be grandfathered back to protect people in transports from non-los shooting attacks though (tau smart missile system or nid hive guards), but non-LOS, Non-shooting, Non-psychic powers do effect people in transports.

For the moral bit, i would think they exit the vehical and run away (panic can be silly like that at times) as units that are falling back must move their full distance, after all "If a unit cannot perform a full fall back move in any direction without doubling back it is destroyed" as per pg 45. Can't perform a fallback if your embarked can you?

Archived