Chaos Bikers - Aspiring Champion

goldenwonder

I have finally hit a painting stride with my Black Legion, trying to round out my force with some variety for 1800-2000pts games (before finally starting my Blood Angels and Deathskull Orks Projects) and I have decided that I am adding a unit of 5 Chaos Bikers with 2 meltaguns and an Icon of Chaos Glory to my force (I like the models which I have had sitting around for a while and finally decided its time to work on them and take them to the field).

The problem which I need to solve before assembling the unit, is whether or not to include an Aspiring Champion. On the one hand, am AC with a powerfist would increase the effectiveness of the units role of tank hunting at the cost of making the unit a little more pricey. I always tend to take AC's but given the the postioning the unit will be in, will the AC be help or more of a liability? Perhaps a Power Weapon could be useful instead?

I'd like to hear from anyone who uses or has experience with bikers. What set-ups do you use and role do they fill? First and foremose I see mine as anti-armour with a possible side role of either supporting an assault unit or contesting an objective if necessary late in the game (if any are alive ofcourse). Of course the bikers will be a support unit and supported by other elements of my force.

My other tank hunting units are pretty much Obliterators and my newly painted, completely untested Vindicator. I'm also working on a Defiler, a 10 man twin-melta squad of Chaos Marines (currently awaiting undercoating) and have access to a Tri-Las Pred (partially painted and left to one side due to the current points cost for the unit) and 1 Dread painted with a TL-LC.

Any feedback would appreciated. In the meantime I'll be working on the 3 standard bikers.

I would use a powerfist.

If your going to be 6" from the enemy, will you rely on 5 krak grenades to take out that last basilisk in a unit? Or worse, a dreadnought you failed to take out, or two dreadnoughts there and you can only kill one.

Even a chance to wipe a special character with instant death. A unit of 195 points won't stand a chance. Add 40 points, and it will. (champ+fist)

But I almost always fist+champ a unit that is beyond it's minimum number.

Thanks for the feedback!

If your going to be 6" from the enemy, will you rely on 5 krak grenades to take out that last basilisk in a unit? Or worse, a dreadnought you failed to take out, or two dreadnoughts there and you can only kill one.

This was initially why I initially considered taking the Champion, especially as I consider my general luck with the dice (though it could be that my dice are broken ;) )

Although as Chillin points out the high cost of this unit with this option considering it is equally as vulnerable to AP2 weapons and such, a unit at 195pts would not stand a chance if charged by a second Dreadnought or could be tied up if charged by Sentinels.

Even a chance to wipe a special character with instant death. A unit of 195 points won't stand a chance. Add 40 points, and it will. (champ+fist)

I never considered this posssibility, granted it may be a slim shance but it could be useful. This could also be applied to the infuriating Wolf Lord one of my regular opponants use with the Saga which grants additional attacks (Warrior Born?) at a (pretty big) push should such a last resort be needed.

But I almost always fist+champ a unit that is beyond it's minimum number.
Khorne punches more...

With the exception of 1 unit of Chaos Marines with dual flamers and future Termi unit, all of my units have an Aspiring Champion with Power Fist for flexibility. The Bezerker included.

I think I will probably take the Champ with a Power Fist for flexibility and to increase the functionality of the unit in it's core role of tank hunting.

Again thanks all for the feedback. I will post an army list in the subforum when I get chance later today.

Archived