Question about equipping a unit

ant7

I am building an Alpha Legion army and I'm in the prossess of putting the first squad of marines together. I was planning on going with 2 meltas but I have been thinking that maybe 1 melta and 1 flamer would be the way to go. Any opinions to help me decide?

2 melta . csm never had problems with horde . we have enough str and enough attacks to deal with them , what chaos does lack is effective second choice of anti tank/support unit , this is why [+the fact that we are a short range army so poping transport is a priority for us]we play 2 melta.

also . a single melta is not enough anti tank its too random . a single flamer is also not enough to deal with horde unit [orks stealers] that are t4 as the flamer is only str 4[so 50% chance to wound all models] . If you really really want a flamer in a squad , then buy the asp champion a combi weapon , against good players a single unit wont use a flamer more then once anyway.

Thanks, I was thinking about the short range limitations of CSM, but I was curious about the flamers against hordes. So 2 meltas it will be, bring on the hordes we can take 'em.

I am building an Alpha Legion army and I'm in the prossess of putting the first squad of marines together. I was planning on going with 2 meltas but I have been thinking that maybe 1 melta and 1 flamer would be the way to go. Any opinions to help me decide?

I am a fan of the Flamer/Melta/Fist squad because its able to do most anything well enough.

It is most useful in smaller games (1k-1.5k) where you might only have 2-3 CSM squad depending on the rest of your army and for me, at least one of those is a 2x Plasma fire support squad. In this kind of situation, I'd prefer 1-2 "all purpose" squads over focused squads.

Once you get to 1.75+ games, you normally are using 4+ CSM squads so you more room to specialize them.

I like the melta/flamer squad, versital squad. You could put a combimelt on the champ for the occasion when one does not do the job.

It also depends on the rest of your army, you are less likely to need 2 meltas in csm squads if you have a unit or 2 of termicide.

I'm also a big fan of dual plaz squads, they do pretty well w/ out a champ if you need to save pts..

Archived