Ragnar Blackmane

That's the awesome thing about fluff... It's made up. And honestly I hate (therefore my Ragnar hates) that hideous sword he's "supposed" to have. :o

It's going to be a little while before I finish painting him I have a tournament this weekend and I've got an entire army minus transports to put together lol...

I know how that goes I put together my entire SW army in under 2 weeks for a local con and only got 1 game in :o (was a win)

30 x GH

10 x BC

1 x RP

4 x Rhino/Razor

3 x Drop Pod

7ish x LF

2 x TW Cav

and I have managed to paint 1 model lol

Anyways GL at the tourney look forward to drinking to your victories.

He upgraded when my Wolf Priest started giving him crap for using a silly chainsword.

The only problem with this of course is that Ragnar's weapon is more than just a "silly chainsword". It's a Frost Blade gifted to him by House Belisarius when he saved the Celestarch and the house itself from a large-scale attack. It's a relic from a time much older than Ragnar himself, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give a flying hoot what anybody said about it. After all, what other Blood Claw can say he has a Frost Blade?

Interesting use of the Sanguinary Guard kit, but I don't like his wolf's head shoulder pad (it literally looks like you just took the wolf exhaust from the back pack, cut it at an angle, and glued it to the pad). The jagged unclean edges gives it a sloppy unfinished look, and for a character (indeed the general of your army) I should think he deserves a cleaner look than that :HQ:

You should check over the model for mold lines too. I see at least one running down his left arm, and the axe might have one too (can't tell if it's the photo though).

Also I don't see how he can possibly run with that huge fur loincloth and the talismans glued to the end...Wolf Lord Trippy McTripster.

DV8

It doesn't have the hair or the frostblade. Don't get me wrong, its awesome, but not a 'true Ragnar'

I'd have to agree. While the post of the original GW Ragnar Blackmane model is "static", it incorporates a lot of key artistic elements that are also present in the artwork. His top knot/pony tail, Frost Blade, Wolf's Head shoulder pad, and Blackmane pelt are some of those. There are also his stylized gauntlets and the fancy boot pads if you want to go so far as to mimic those (I chose not to copy the boots but the gauntlets I did).

DV8

Most the mold lines and what not that I did attempt to clean will be easily covered up with further layers of paint and a Matte coat. As will my sloppy greenstuffing. As far as top knots Please look at the cover of sons of fenris and wolf's honor which indicate that's not the ONLY way he wore his hair... And for his hidious looking chainsword/frost blade... Meh now he's got a Frost Axe. He's just as much a Ragnar as any other just perhaps he's from a different time than the fluff you read.

I am going to agree with DV8 and Mithril hound on this one. It is a very cool model but I would not look at that and say "oh look, Ragnar." Wolf lord maybe, but not Ragnar. DV8's conversion clearly shows what character it is supposed to be. I do agree that the model we have now is terribly out-dated (it was around when I started playing 15+ years ago) but as I said, this just doesn't share any elements with it aside from the shoulder pad being similar. Maybe as a 'counts-as' for a different wolf lord? Or just switching the head for the top-knot one and giving him a suitably ornate chainsword would alleviate all this. Again, this is a very cool, dynamic model and at the end of the day you can use him however you want, but some TO's might take issue with him.

Considering in his wargear it says "Frost Blade" (Not hideous chainsword looking Frost Sword) and there are only two images I've seen with him wearing a top knot... I would be quite humored for a TO to tell me I couldn't use him... Either way I'll agree to disagree because I can't find a suitable head perhaps I can greenstuff one sometime but we'll see.

Theres one in the space wolf sprue.

There's two, actually. All the heads are "paired" in the Space Wolf Pack, that is there is two of each head.

As for Tournament Organizers, no body would argue against you using your Wolf Lord as Ragnar Blackmane. He is WYSIWYG (for your interpretation of a Frost Blade) and so legal. But from an aesthetic perspective (and you posted it on this forum for what I assume to be comments and constructive critiques), it simply doesn't scream Ragnar to me (and evidently others).

Now there's no need to get all defensive about it because we're all entitled to our opinions, and your interpretation of Ragnar may very well be completely different from mine or others. But again when you post on the intarwebs, you have to be prepared for the opinions of others.

And "unfortunately" there has already been an established "official" look for Ragnar (by Games Workshop, and Black Library novels/artists). It's the same concept with any literary or fictional character in any made-up setting.

Take Batman for example. After years and years of design and work put forth by multiple artists, we have the iconic black-hooded figure with the pointy ears and bat insignia. Everything about Batman is distinctive, and through all iterations, with some minor variations due to stylistic differences on parts of the artists, the overall design of Batman remains the same. There is no mistaking him for any other character, because the creators have created and designed him with "that look". Are you allowed to change it based on your own personal interpretation of how Batman should/might look? Absolutely. But as it deviates further from the already established "official" look, the more you have to be prepared that people will not readily accept that as Batman, and instead see it as something else entirely.

Likewise here, Games Workshop has established the "official look" of Ragnar Blackmane. In both their art (3rd and 5th Edition Codices, as well as the official model and the Black Library books, barring some minor differences), they have said "look, here's what Ragnar looks like". Are you allowed to reinterpret Ragnar as you see fit? Absolutely. But the more you deviate from the official look put forth by Games Worskhop, the less readily people will automatically see it as being Ragnar Blackmane, and instead they'll see it as a Wolf Lord of your own creation, perhaps using Ragnar Blackmane's rules.

Thus is the way with official characters. Once the creators put forth an image or a design and say "here it is, that's what it looks like", it's hard to see it as anything else.

DV8

Archived