Death or Glory versus "in the vehicle's path"

ShinyRhino

I think we/I have been doing Tank Shocks wrong.

Normally, any member of the shocked unit was getting the auto-hit for a Death or Glory attack. But in rereading the rule last night, it seems we've been doing this 100% wrong.

The process is:

Tank declares a Tank Shock move, and the associated distance.

The tank is then moved to base contact with the first unit in its path.

The unit then takes a Morale test to see if they fall back.

If they fail, they flee toward their board edge. If they succeed, they may either move out of the way, or a single model "in the vehicle's path" may attempt a Death or Glory attack.

The "in the vehicle's path" part was something I never noticed before, so it raises some questions for me. The obvious reading means that only a model that the tank would move over the top of during the Tank Shock move can attempt the DoG attack. So, you can effectively avoid serious retribution by not driving over the meltagunner, powerfist, or meltabomb-armed models in a unit, yes?

For example, let's say I'm driving my Rhino at an opposing CSM squad, with two meltaguns and a powerfist in the 10-man unit.

I declare how far I'm moving, and trundle forward.

For simplicity's sake, we'll say the ten CSM are in a single line, armed as follows:

1 - Meltagun

2 - Bolter

3 - Bolter

4 - Bolter

5 - Bolter

6 - Bolter

7 - Bolter

8 - Bolter

9 - Meltagun

10 - Powerfist

I drive my Rhino at the center of the line, which would draw my path over CSMs 4-7, all of which are armed with bolters. This means neither of the meltaguns, nor the powerfist are eligible models for a Tank Shock, correct? Only grenades from CSMs 4-7 can make the attempt.

If this is right, it means a lot for dealing with IG Blob Squads. In the past I was afraid to tank shock these large units, because of the trio of meltaguns and autocannons present. Of course, now I can just drive over the lasgun models, and be free of any real DoG threat in return. Yes?

I belive you are correct.

Models falling back can still shoot, however they count as moving. So even if you tank shock & break the squad, you are setting yourself up to get microwaved next turn.

It is still a nice strategy in order to create a tidy column to cover with a flame template, though.

I really wanted to say "NO WAI YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG" but I can't. I see no flaw in your logic at all.

So there it is. That will change the way I tank shock. Thanks!

That's an interesting catch. I'll admit we've been playing it as anyone in the TS unit as apposed to specific models. Looks like one that's sneaked under the radar.

Rereading the rulebook while your wife makes you watch America's Next Top Model with her does have its benefits.

I also realized that you do not choose between the Morale test and DoG. DoG comes AFTER the Morale test.

or a single model "in the vehicle's path" may attempt a Death or Glory attack.

The combination of "single model" and "in the vehicle's path", are what does it for me.

It doesn't say a model with in the unit, but rather seems to be rather clear that it's only talking about a model that's actually going to be physically struck by the vehicle. So yes your diagram seems to be correct, that only one of the bolter marines could make a DoG attack.

You've probably already spotted it, but you only move the models in the shocked unit if they fail the leadership test or if the distance the tank moved means that it would finish its move on top of the unit - if the declared distance takes the tank right through the unit and out of the other side the guys in the unit are not touched. With luck you could rampage through a couple of units and still end up hiding from that pesky melta-gun.

A thought strikes me, if you tank shock a unit head on (perpendicular to their table edge), they fail the morale test and fall back but are still within your path and distance, do you shock them again? I guess you do, and you could run them off the board that way :)

You've probably already spotted it, but you only move the models in the shocked unit if they fail the leadership test or if the distance the tank moved means that it would finish its move on top of the unit - if the declared distance takes the tank right through the unit and out of the other side the guys in the unit are not touched. With luck you could rampage through a couple of units and still end up hiding from that pesky melta-gun.

A thought strikes me, if you tank shock a unit head on (perpendicular to their table edge), they fail the morale test and fall back but are still within your path and distance, do you shock them again? I guess you do, and you could run them off the board that way :)

I think you mean parallel to the board... If your board is a rectangle, and the long sides are the army deployment zones, then depending on how you look at ti it could be perpendicular, I guess.

Anyway, I think that you are correct in that assumption.

'If the test is passed the unit will simply let the tank move through, as if it were not there'

So if the vehicle doesn't end up on the spore nothing happens. If it ends up on the spore then the rulebook says that the unit moves so that it is 1 inch away. The codex says it cannot move though and the codex takes precedence. Whether this means it may not voluntarily move or it may not move ever it is not clear.

I imagine you leave the tank 1 inch away while ensuring it does not go more than it's maximum distance.

I have a question to add onto this. What happens if you tank shock a mycetic spore? It can not move so does it have to DoG? But if it fails its leadership test does it just get auto destroyed?

Spores are fearless, they will never fail the moral test. DoG is always optional, if they decide not to, i would use Ashes solution

Archived