Night Lords

So, yeah, I'm reading Soul Hunter and its gotten me in the mood to do up a small Night Lord force. Maybe 500-750 pts to give my SWs a break. Thinking about using the new Blood Angel's Codex. Anyone had any luck with this so far? I'm sure someones had to have run a few games to test this out.

The whole Red Thirst rule has me a bit worried fluff wise. I know the NL used to be dedicated to Khorne, but nowadays they seem more to be stealthy than berserkers.

So, yeah, I'm reading Soul Hunter and its gotten me in the mood to do up a small Night Lord force. Maybe 500-750 pts to give my SWs a break. Thinking about using the new Blood Angel's Codex. Anyone had any luck with this so far? I'm sure someones had to have run a few games to test this out.

The whole Red Thirst rule has me a bit worried fluff wise. I know the NL used to be dedicated to Khorne, but nowadays they seem more to be stealthy than berserkers.

I wouldn't worry about ATSKNF or the red thirst, furious charge could easily show the extra damage caused by the "surprise attack" that has caught the opposition off guard... and fearless well IMO I think some chaos veterans are far gone enough not to care. As for ATSKNF... I've never been in favour of chaos space marines being more likely to be wiped out than space marines.... makes little sense if you are really lucky you will red thirst everyone :).

Night Lords have never been dedicated to a Chaos God.

World Eaters are the ones dedicated to Khorne.

But, sounds like fun so good luck.

Actually... Night Lords were originally written as Khorne worshipers back in the RT days.

Which has since been completely and definitively retconned.

As for the OP, although I can see how this could make some sense and disagree that of all rules only ATSKNF cannot "counts as" something else for whatever eldritch reasons, I am still a bit leery of another army using a loyalist codex, especially the current flavor of the month. I guess the real question is whether or not you truly feel like this represents Night Lords or if you're just doing it because you like the rules but not the fluff/scheme of Blood Angels. Plus, if your force is under 1,000 points it will probably be largely standard marines anyway, and those are no worse at representing legionnaires than BA, it's more the fluffy builds at larger points sizes that are denied to us.

I feel BA Codex represents the Night Lords a hell of a lot more than C:CSM...which barely even mentions them let alone has a unit entry representing them. I mean...assault squads as troops...the whole army deep striking to represent ambushing etc etc etc This is all with an eye towards building them up more in the future after I've got my SWs as done as I want them to be.

Seems better than taking a bunch of cult troops. Ordinary CSMs would probably work, but it'd also be really boring. Plus, I'd have to have an HQ unit with some sort of Daemonic tinge to it. Much rather run Seth or Astorath counts as to be honest. I wouldn't be using bizarre unit entries like Baals or the Dreadnoughts.

As for the NL and Khorne. Yeah they used to be Khorne devoted originally, but it was all swept under the rug.

Archived