Multiple Assaults, Vehicles, Pile-In

BigDunc

This situation may have been covered, but the topic title wasn't very descriptive and I've missed it.

In my assault phase I have assaulted a unit of ISTs and their undamaged Chimera with a single Crusader Squad. In my effort to not win assault, at the end of the phase I successfully remain in close combat with the ISTs. To the Chimera, I have done no significant damage.

My question: do my models in contact with the Chimera pile-in with the ISTs?

I believe the answer is Yes using this logic: Under the Assault section of the BRB it states that models not in contact with the enemy may pile-in. I obviously have models in contact with the Chimera, so according to this section, models in contact with the Chimera may not pile-in. But, under the vehicle section on pg 63, the BRB says "In a multiple fight including enemy and other unit types, the result of the fight is worked out as normal against the latter (the other unit types), ignoring the vehicles." So, the vehicle is therefore ignored and the models in contact with the Chimera may pile-in.

It's not the most difficult rules question, but I'm still wanting to verify.

Thanks

I believe you are correct. You never "consolidate" really at a vehicle, as you are treated as being 1" away at the end of every assault phase. The vehicle can then move away during its next movement phase- tank shocking if need be to get models out of its way. You would consolidate towards the other remaining enemy infantry. This does not apply to walkers (that have a WS).

I believe you are correct. You never "consolidate" really at a vehicle, as you are treated as being 1" away at the end of every assault phase. The vehicle can then move away during its next movement phase- tank shocking if need be to get models out of its way. You would consolidate towards the other remaining enemy infantry. This does not apply to walkers (that have a WS).

This is correct except for one thing..you can't Tank Shock the Crusaders. They're still in close combat with the ISts, and so are ineligible for being Shocked.

If, by using your Pile In move to its fullest extent, you still have models in base with the Chimera during the IG assault phase, you hit the Chimera again with the based models, if you so choose. So, it would behoove the IG player to move that Chimera away from your models.

The part about being 1" away from a vehicle at the end of the assault phase is incorrect. You stay in BtB and if the vehicle does not move away then you can strike it again. While not locked in combat, if the vehicle does not move away and the models stay in base contact you treat it as an ongoing assault.

@ OP: I have always played it that if the vehicle is not destroyed then the models that assault it stay in BtB with it until it moves away or is destroyed. However, the qoute that you gave makes alot of sense. Normally you have no results from vehicle combat, but if you have a regular unit as well then you ignore the vehicles for the results which include win/loss, sweeping advance, pile-in and consolidation.

But of course this is another grey area from GW. The rule is poorly written enough that you could go either way with it. I think your interpretation is probably the best, though.

When in doubt, dice it off.

@ OP: I have always played it that if the vehicle is not destroyed then the models that assault it stay in BtB with it until it moves away or is destroyed. However, the qoute that you gave makes alot of sense. Normally you have no results from vehicle combat, but if you have a regular unit as well then you ignore the vehicles for the results which include win/loss, sweeping advance, pile-in and consolidation.

Thats the recommendation I would make and what I believe to be the most 'correct' way of dealing with it as far as the rules go, but I agree that its not entirely clear. At the end of the day the pile in rules ask that models get into base contact with an enemy if possible and thats already done.

Archived