"Enemy Shooting" in regards to Righteous Zeal

BigDunc

Looking for impartial opinions concerning this question. The question as stated in the topic: In regards to Righteous Zeal, what is defined as enemy shooting?

To summarize the BT Codex, if a BT unit takes a single casualty due to enemy shooting it is forced to take a Morale Check, and if passed, may Zeal forward. Furthermore, passing any Morale Check allows a BT unit to Zeal according to the 3rd paragraph of the Righteous Zeal rules on page 23.

This means that if a BT unit suffers at least 25% casualties due to an exploding vehicle, it will have to take a Morale Check and Zeal or retreat. This also means that The Horror (a Tyranid psychic power) and Death From Above (a SM Planetstrike stratagem) would both give the opportunity for Zealous movement.

But what about the loss of a single model in a transport? Does a BT unit inside a transport that suffers a single casualty to an exploding vehicle have to take a Morale Check?

It boils down to the question mentioned above, what is enemy shooting? The transport directly caused the casualty, but it wouldn't have exploded were it not for enemy shooting.

Thoughts?

I agree. If the vehicle exploded as a result of enemy shooting and a model suffers a casualty then yes RZ would come into force presumably overriding the pinning test in that situation.

The casualty was due to enemy shooting, if they hadn't shot the vehicle it wouldn't have caused the casualty... I don't see it as being different from a casualty caused by standing next to a tank which exploded.

I'd say of course that was enemy shooting, but that's just common sensical. No need for stringent definitions here methinks.

This was debated on the BT subforum to no conclusion.

...presumably overriding the pinning test in that situation.

The unit would take a Pinning Test, as normal, and a Morale Test. If the Pinning Check was failed and the Morale Test passed, the unit would Zeal and then be Pinned. This ruling is debated by some.

If both test were failed.... well that's a good question. Does a falling back trump a pinning?

Heh, well that such a thing was debated too long seems silly to me...

As for the second part, I agree. The Zeal is not voluntary; it's mandatory and thus that little move overrides the Pinned status...after which point they get Pinned.

If you fail both it'd be the same as any other time you do that; you run away. That is covered in the morale section.

The source of the destruction was your opponents shooting. Certainly if a squad inside a transport took a casualty from an explodes result it would be affected, I see no reason why a squad outside the transport should suddenly be treated differently.

I'd say of course that was enemy shooting, but that's just common sensical. No need for stringent definitions here methinks.

This was debated on the BT subforum to no conclusion.

...presumably overriding the pinning test in that situation.

The unit would take a Pinning Test, as normal, and a Morale Test. If the Pinning Check was failed and the Morale Test passed, the unit would Zeal and then be Pinned. This ruling is debated by some.

If both test were failed.... well that's a good question. Does a falling back trump a pinning?

You are incorrect sir. If the unit fails it's pinning test it may not RZ. The RZ rules states that it does not affect pinned units. And since pinning happens immediately and moral checks occur at the end of the phase the unit would not get to test for RZ.

Archived