SB's Iron Warriors

im not sure, i thought the dark worked well the the iron warriors irony colour, it just gets darker when i weather it. ill try it lighter on my next models (chosen) and see what happens.

thanks ;)

It does indeed fit but you can go too far. I sight the dreads right kneepad as evidence. It looks almost dusty...

I wouldn't make them much brighter but do make them a little bit lighter. Maybe just don't wash so heavily?

ive been sat doing revision all day ignoring the voice of the dark gods before suddenly listening to hear the following...

Dark Gods:Hey you! come on! listen! i have 3 questions!

Sword Brethren:What?

Dark Gods:you know that predator you bought for your dark angels about 4 years ago?

Sword Brethren:...no

Dark Gods:i know you don't, look under that desk over there!

Sword Brethren:*rumages around* wow an unopened predator!

Dark Gods:what are you gonna do with all those spare magnets? hint hint

Sword Brethren:i suppose ill magnetise the predator for my regular tyranid hunts and the up and coming spearhead expansion. whats the 3rd question?

Dark Gods: why is your name sword brethren, plural?

Sword Brethren: ... :P

so anyway forgive my tom foolery i have had a dull revision filled day. to cut to the chase i found a predator under my desk from ages ago.

gallery_38604_4022_834410.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_603517.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_786581.jpg

and i then found a use for the back door of the predator...

gallery_38604_4022_645288.jpg

and yes it all fits ;)

having found this (what feels like a free) predator i have started getting into the idea of going spear head nuts, with a land raider on my list of things to do im tempted to buy lots of vehicles and really make the iron warriors look seigey.

the only problem is vindis blow themselves and others up and iron warriors dont get any other artillery looking things, so i was thinking 3 basilisks suitably chaosed up should do it.

i am aware this awesome find has caused me to forget about my dreadnaught... dunno when ill finish of painting that or indeed the long list of things i need to paint.

thanks for looking

SB

Haha, nothing better than finding an unopened tank underneath your desk! Same thing happened with me and a Hammerhead...

Brilliant work, as others have said, dreadnought and warsmith are fantastic...looking forward to seeing that predator done too.

So how do you do your weathering? Is it just a boltgun drybrush? Looks too good for me to believe that :P Keep up the great work!

Haha, nothing better than finding an unopened tank underneath your desk! Same thing happened with me and a Hammerhead...

Brilliant work, as others have said, dreadnought and warsmith are fantastic...looking forward to seeing that predator done too.

So how do you do your weathering? Is it just a boltgun drybrush? Looks too good for me to believe that ;) Keep up the great work!

i feel so happy about finding that, as if it chose me to find it XD

for weatheriing i use this method

1.C black undercoat

2.lots of very thin mithril silver until its nice and smooth

3.2 washes with watered down boltgun metal

4.1:1 mix of tin bitz and scortched brown (very watered down) washed over give little bits of rust here and there and make it look dirty

5.badab black wach (as many times as i reckon it takes to look dirty and dark)

hope that helps :P

once again i have been completly distracted....

i was looking throught he codex and decided that sonic weapon are awesome :)

so background is, iron VS Emperors children, sonic weapons were ripping iron warriors to shreds in the trenches, one iron warriors squad got hold of them, used them ever since, slowly turning to slaanesh, instead of pink armour they have lots of warning stripes.

with that outof the way, i kit bashed a champion.

gallery_38604_4022_533218.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_483008.jpg

i used the back of the tank guy, i love the idea of pipes carrying stimulants and some projecting sound and pleasurable stuff, the whole squad will have that front.

also he has the doom siren is on his back pack, he has stimulants on his belt. im still not sure on the head though....

Slaanesh head?

gallery_38604_4022_799312.jpg

More iron warriors head (the vox grill fits the sonic weapons theme)

gallery_38604_4022_933213.jpg

opinions needed ;)

if you had told me the fluff without the model i would not be convinced but i havehadmy opinion of the idea changed.

as for the head, the mask is more iron warriorsy and keeps the feel of their legion butim not sure that head it the way to go im notreally a fan of it. for that reasonid say find another head or use the slaaneshy one.

cant wait to see the rest of the squad.

thanks for the opinions guys :devil:

the head has been chosen and painted (other than the eyes because shiningstorm101 has my skull white)

gallery_38604_4022_899312.jpg

and the body has been based and is being made a dark iron silver colour as you look

gallery_38604_4022_1216563.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_1153367.jpg

let me know what you think so far :)

Hey, thanks for posting that weathering guide, will try it on my next rhino. :P

As for the noise champion, you're right, it doesn't look very slaaneshy, but then again, it suits the rest of your army extremely well, and fits the fluff you made. Loving your use of the tank commander back too; really makes him stand out.

If I might make a suggestion, on the rest of the squad maybe paint little splashes of pink, or greenstuff some flayed skin on their shoulders or something. That should help show what they represent. Either way, it's still brilliant. :D

thanks for the comments guys, feel free to use the idea :D

ill try and add some colour to the squad (sonic weapons may arrive today) im hoping i wont need the flayed skin because the sonic weapon shoulder pad should be suitably slaaneshy

Perhaps paint a small Slaanesh symbol somewhere on his head - the temple or forehead for instance? Maybe using a dark purple so it still looks like a tatoo but also uses a more 'Slaaneshi' colour?

I had thought perhaps using purple on the hazard stripes instead of yellow, but now I'm not convinced after taking another look at your pics. Maybe simply more stripes (e.g. on one of the legs?)

As for the rest of the squad - try sculpting a bit of leather stretched over the armour, or some fur on one or two (if, for instance, you had a spacewolves pad somewhere or could borrow one). Tactile sensuality is also a Slaaneshi theme I think.

ill give more stripes and a slaanesh tatoo a go, thanks for the feedback :tu:

i have some pics of the rest of the squad today

gallery_38604_4022_39801.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_507606.jpg

they racked up a very impressive kill tally today. 8 genestealers in one turn of shooting before killing 10 hermagaunts in shooting and assaulting the remaining 2. they killed 20 in 2 turns :tu:

I'd imagine a quick way to Slaanesh-ify some IWs would be to replace the weathered yellow with bright orange, and purposely get the chevrons crooked.

Also, some stim dispensers made of green stuff (think Fabius Bile or Lucius the Eternal) would go a long way...

I'd imagine a quick way to Slaanesh-ify some IWs would be to replace the weathered yellow with bright orange, and purposely get the chevrons crooked.

Also, some stim dispensers made of green stuff (think Fabius Bile or Lucius the Eternal) would go a long way...

i was thinking that with the warning stripes but i thought people would just think im doing it wrong because its so similar.

i have a few stim dispensers on belts on some models but i didnt have enough SM rocket ammo or apothicary parts to keep making them.

gallery_38604_4022_895419.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_464046.jpg

(sorry about filthy hands, spray paint is hard to wash of ;))

ill try and add some more, would they look better on the back pack?

thousand sons marines... i would love to use their rules set but cant think of a way around using thousadn sons for it.

Semi-autonomous robot/servitors would be my guess. An apprentice sorcerer with the natural technical inclinations of an IW throws in his lot with Tzeench in exchange for forbidden knowledge, manages to build himself some robot-marines using the brains and nervous systems of some spare slaves he has lying around, some bionics and some suits of power armour, then accompanies them into battle, the better to control and direct them (plus, handy and loyal bodyguard).

Who knows? It might convince someone.

Failing that, IW and 1KSons seemed to have some degree of respect for each other pre heresy (so says McNeill). And they make a pretty good team at the Gates of Terra.

A sorcerer who doesn't like what Ahriman did to the legion might just take his rubric bodyguards and join the warband of an old comrade from ages past.

Archived