What Special Weapons to choose?

So I am about to venture into the realms of chaos, by starting a Word Bearers army. I have wanted to start a chaos army since I got my grubby little hands on the previous edition chaos codex, but since I always have had loyalist marines lying around (when I turned 15 my big brother gave me all his old Space Marines, and there where a lot) they were just the cheaper solution. But now I have finally pulled my self together and ordered two boxes of Chaos Marines and a Chaos lord to get started.

Well to get to the point, I need some tactical advice on building my squads, since I have no idea of what would be effective. Just to give some information on what I will generally be facing, I will be playing the same people that I have been playing for years who play Imperial Guard, Orks and Eldar. So what I want to know is what special weapons you people think I should include in my army to ensure that it is competitive?

So what I want to know is what special weapons you people think I should include in my army to ensure that it is competitive?

Currently, Meltaguns are the #1 special weapon in most situations. The reason for this is that 5th Edition has a heavy focus on mechanized armies and lots of tanks on the battlefield and you need a good way to deal with fighting 5-15 different pieces of armor. It also works well because it allows you to assault afterwards and Chaos is one of the better (but not the best) assault armies out there.

#2 choice is split between Flamers and Plasmaguns. Flamers are useful because they're a cheap/easy way to knock out horde armies and they deny cover saves and cover is big in 5th Edition. Plasmaguns on the other hand look like they're bad, being as they're expensive and can kill your troops but they offer some medium range firepower to Chaos and they work well against the variety of MCs and light armor that some armies use because of that extended range and 2x number of shots up close.

My advice to you, make your first 2 CSM squads into 2x Meltaguns/Power Fist/Rhino squads.

Squad 3 should be 2x Plasmagun with Power Fist/Rhino optional but very useful (this is your objective camper squad)

Squad 4 should be either another 2x Plasmagun squad or maybe a Meltagun/Flamer/Power Fist/Rhino squad or 2x Flamer/Power Fist/Rhino squad.

Squad 5 should probably be another 2x Meltagun/Power Fist/Rhino squad.

Oh and if its not too late, don't bother ordering a Chaos Lord. 90% of all the armies run with a Daemon Prince because its so much more competitive.

Thanks for the tips and very quick replies.

@minigun: First of all thanks for the very thorough tips, that was very helpful. And just for good measure the only reason I ordered the chaos lord is because I don't really like metal models, especially very big ones, even though I am very inclined to break my rule of not buying huge metal kits because the deamon prince model is sweet. Do you have any ideas of how to convert one from plastic components, personally I was thinking of using a rat ogre as a basis for the conversion (or one of the new river trolls), any thoughts?

You need some of each spec weop IMO. 2x melta is good, 2X flamer (I really wouldn't like this one unless I had a combimelt in there too) (but with the opponents you'll be facing 2X flamer will probably be good), I like melta/flamer (others do not), I love 2X plaz.

The only 2 things you don't want to do is but a hvy weop in a csm squad and you really don't want to mix plaz and an assault weop.

Welcome to chaos.

I do the extremes... and I love them.

10CSMs, champ-PF, combi melta, 2 meltas, in a rhino. Makes Land Raiders cry.

10CSMs, champ-PW, meltabomb, combi flamer, 2 flamers, in a rhino. Makes guants, orks, guard, and even marines and terminators disappear into ashes.

I don't use plasma much, but thats a personal thing. I'm not giving a 10k year old veteran a gun that explodes.

Archived