THIS...IS...FENRIS!

Well that is what I would expect if they ever met? But who knows, they might shake hands and fight a bunch of Tyranids! It seems there is precedent with another fluff-warped SM codex! :)

But enough of that. This is my Wolf Priest. I usually don't post my mini's here in this thread, I usually just post them in my blog, but this is my first attempt at a major conversion at this scale. I am not very confident when it comes to sculpting and major conversions because of the heroic scale thing which drives me up the wall. So I would like some feedback from the community of the B&C, especially the Space Wolf forum.

gallery_48798_4672_267250.jpg

So please if you have any comments on any mistakes or general critique, or if you would have changed something, or maybe there is something you don't like or if something is not convincing you I would really like to read your comments. It really doesn't matter if you are an experienced modeler or painter or if you suck or just a newbie. I am interested in all your views and opinions.

If I am to improve I believe that understanding what my fellow hobbyists like and dislike would be very important at this point in my progress. Also I can assure everyone that I am my own harshest critique so I assure you I will not be offended by any criticism that you might think harsh. I have just spent an hour last night being pounded for all my mistakes at the Society of Scale Modelers and I can assure you they are no joke when it comes to thorough criticism.

Just for your info, I have opened a similar thread in the Space Wolves section for Space Wolf players. I thought it would be a good experiment to see what the non-Wolves think my Wolf-Brothers.

Having said that I do hope you all like it :), and there are more pics in my blog for anyone who is interested.

Regards

NR

As a 13th company player, someone who has a number of normal scale sm characters with artificer armour made out of green stuff in progress (but very much a novice) and as someone who is planning a few art/actually/heroic scale minis... I must say... it is looking very nice and if my models look as good as I think that will when its all finished and painted up I will be very happy.

If there was one thing I might do... that is add a bit more detail to his legs maybe just some rivets... as his upper body is pretty busy and I admit you probably don't want him being too busy but maybe a few rivets would be nice... if that's not your style maybe make the face of a wolf on one of knee pads (a guy I'm doing has a cat head on his)... I mean it depends on your ability (I think you are better than me, by the standard of this work) and how you think it will fit in with your army.

Either way be pleased with your work :)

Being a space wolves player myself its a great model but i have a single quarrel and that would be the helm it just seems a bit flat because if you look at actual wolf skulls there are alot more bumps and dents see:

http://www.boneclones.com/images/bc-024_web-lg.jpg

Hope this helps

First of all my thanks to all those who took the time to comment. I appreciate it a lot. As I said in my initial post I wanted honest feedback on which I could work on to improve, I that is what I got. Thank you and I apologize if it took so long to get back to you, the past 24 hrs or so I have been busy working and sleeping!

@Hellios - I think your rivet idea is exactly what it needs. The idea never even pass my mind. I will get to it this weekend. Thanks again. Do you have a link to any of your work. I'd like to see it, you seem full of good ideas.

@Tutteman - Thanks for the nice comment.

@Lord_Azoth - You are part of the large majority who think so, and I tend to agree. It is one of the faults of the mini. This came about from a lack of reference, even though I built it on a wolf skull!!! Thank you for pointing it out.

@Elrond - It does. Thank you for the interest. I will have to check out the site of Bone Clones. I still do not know what I am going to do with the helm. Either I'll start from scratch or try to fix it. I'll have to see which is more viable.

@Fenxis - Thanks for posting and showing an interest. I appreciate it. I found your comment intriguing but I don't really understand what you mean exactly by 'feral'. Do you mean a wolf skull instead of the Long Fang Skull I used or extra wolf tails for instance? I hope you can elaborate your idea a bit, it sounds interesting.

Well thanks to you all again. I hope you all comment again if I ever post something else. Your feedback was very useful.

Regards,

NR

Thanks for posting and showing an interest. I appreciate it. I found your comment intriguing but I don't really understand what you mean exactly by 'feral'. Do you mean a wolf skull instead of the Long Fang Skull I used or extra wolf tails for instance? I hope you can elaborate your idea a bit, it sounds interesting.

Wasn't really sure about the specifics! (for feral I mean boost the wolfiness and/or the viking factor) I'm trying to come up with ideas of how to move away from the standard crozius arcanum without losing the visual impact of what it is. I poked around Google image for a while but was unsuccessful :)

From easier to more drastic:

- add some wolf tails

- change out the skull, something like Njal's staff

- have a four headed axe (would have to be small axe head)

http://getasword.com/269-double-headed-ceremonial-axe.html

i think you should try sculpting the head from scratch, you seem to be talented enough to make a good effort of it.

id angle the hand on the crozius a bit more also.. at the moment it looks as though hes looking at it in awe, rather than pointing it or whatever.

and finally, i think the hand with the plasma pistol sits a little too high.. pictures from other angles would help.

other than that its a fantastic sculpt so far and you should be proud of your efforts.

i think you should try sculpting the head from scratch, you seem to be talented enough to make a good effort of it.

id angle the hand on the crozius a bit more also.. at the moment it looks as though hes looking at it in awe, rather than pointing it or whatever.

the plasma pistol looks as though it sits a bit high.. ive looked through your blog at the other shots and am unsure if its just that one picture or something worth looking into.

other than that its a fantastic sculpt so far and you should be proud of your efforts.

I think, overall, it looks fantastic! Almost perfect, and I have to agree with the others: that one problem is the head. It looks like a dinosaurs, unfortunately. I think you should take another stab at it, as hitting that properly with hit this model of the the park. Perhaps using Ulriks head as reference?

edit: Or, if you'd like to just put this project to bed quickly, why not just use Ulrik's head? :)

Being a space wolves player myself its a great model but i have a single quarrel and that would be the helm it just seems a bit flat because if you look at actual wolf skulls there are alot more bumps and dents see:

http://www.boneclones.com/images/bc-024_web-lg.jpg

Hope this helps

I like the sculpting and converting here a lot, but if I had anything to critique this would be it. Looks a bit like a velociraptor. But it's far better sculpting than I could accomplish, and if you paint it bone I'm sure people will get the hint.

Speaking of which, that's another problem. There's no paint! :) Like I'm any better.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

@Fenxis - I really like the four headed axe idea. Two large opposing blades and two smaller opposing ones; and four wolf heads or skulls (upper head and jaw) on top. That's probably how I'd imagine it. Wish I was good enough at drawing to make some concept sketches. Thanks, I'll definitely keep this idea for future projects.

@Lorenzen - I have already started the new head, this time with lots of reference. I agree with with the angling of the crozius. It is only attached with blu-tac and if angled too much it wont hold. As for the plasma, I'm not convinced, but I will definitely look into it since it was brought up as well at the club. Thanks for your interest, time and help.

@Wispy - Thanks for the compliments. They are of great encouragement. I have started a new head, hopefully it will turn out better. As regards Ulrik's head, I assure you it tempted me to no end, firstly because this is a gaming piece, and I was never one to invest so much time into models I use for gaming and secondly I am not a perfectionist (thank God), I just try to do my best at the time and hope to improve with each failure or success. The thing is after so much encouragement to try again from the B&C to try make a good model better, I think I owe it to myself to give it another shot.

@Imperialis_Dominatus - Thanks. Don't worry the painting will come eventually. As the battle cry of your Chapter goes 'Dum Spiro Spera.' (While I breath, I hope.) :blink:

Archived