Squads and dangerous terrain tests

I have a squad of 6 bikers, 1 sgt, 2 melta, 3 troopers. The sgt, 2 melta, and 1 trooper move through dangerous terrain. Do I take a dangerous terrain check on each individual that moved through cover or can I distrobute it like shooting and say put 3 checks on the troopers and 1 on the meltas?

I have been playing that you role separate for each model moving, so it is possible for the sgt to kill himself.

1) Difficult terrain affects whole units, you take one test to determine their movement range. Bikes ignore difficult terrain, but treat it as dangerous terrain...

2) "Dangerous Terrain: [...] Roll a D6 for every model that has entered, left of moved trough one or more areas of dangerous terrain during it's move. On the roll of a 1, the model suffers a wound [...]" (Rulebook)

So you played it correctly. You move the unit, every single model moving through said terrain makes a roll and for every 1 rolled that model failed it's test receives one wound.

Bikes treat difficult terain as dangerous terain instead. so the bit with with difficult terrain effecting the whole unit doesnt matter, as its treated like dangerous terrain. only the models who actualy move through dangerous terrain will take a test. and the test is taken model by model, so the specifc model that fails is the one that takes the wound. Yes the serg could kill himself and no other model in the unit could take the wound for the serg.

Do you have to allocate dangerous terrain rolls? So separate the Leader and special troopers?

Because I don't do that (Too many upgrades in my Blood Claw Pack...) but I do it for IC's, because that seems to make sense.

Yes you should. It's like save allocation, so for an average tactical squad you'd roll 7 normal guys, a special, a heavy and the sergeant.

Awesome, I'll bear that in mind for future games. It makes sense though sometimes I'd like to think of it as the old explanation for not having to remove the guys under blast templates, even if they were special weapons troopers, representing the squad mates picking up the weapons.

Yes you should. It's like save allocation, so for an average tactical squad you'd roll 7 normal guys, a special, a heavy and the sergeant.

Awesome, I'll bear that in mind for future games. It makes sense though sometimes I'd like to think of it as the old explanation for not having to remove the guys under blast templates, even if they were special weapons troopers, representing the squad mates picking up the weapons.

Actualy by raw you roll for each model individualy, not for groups. Most people wont mind if you roll for groups for expediency, though it could effect coherency.

Also that was never the explination, the explination was that the unit is more fluid than represented, not just standing still, so at any given time any memeber of the unit could be at any location within the unit. Though its more just because its weird for a grenade launcher to be able to pick its targets and a sniper rifle not to.

Archived