Number of Attacks (Dreadnought)

Hospan

Hi guys.

First post...

I have recently started 40k with a friend and I'm a bit confused. I need help with the number of attacks in a shooting round. I have read both the Codex : Space Marines as well as the rule book, but I cannot make the connection for some reason. The dreadnought has two attacks listed in the unit profile. However, I have equipped one with an Assault Cannon, in addition to the storm bolter on its other arm. The assault cannon lists four attacks, while the storm bolter lists two. The rule book states that I can attack with each weapon, movement permitting.

Does this mean that I get four shots with the assault cannon, as well as two with his storm bolter? Or would this simply be one attack with each?

Thanks for any assistance!

The attacks in the unit profile are for close combat — you can completely ignore them in the shooting phase.

When shooting, your dreadnought can basically shoot all its weapons: four attacks with the assault cannon and two with the storm bolter. This because first of all, the weapon's description always indicates the number of attacks you get to make with it: an assault cannon is heavy 4, and so gets to roll four dice; a storm bolter is assault 2 and so rolls two dice. Then, if you look in the codex, it says a dreadnought is a walker, and the rulebook states that a walker can always fire all its weapons regardless of whether it stands still or moves. So this means you get to roll six dice: four for the assault cannon and two for the storm bolter. Because these weapons have different Strength and AP, though, you'll want to roll two colours of dice, or roll for both weapons separately.

However, note that all the dreadnought's shots (regardless of the weapon) must be against the same target, because a unit may only attack one enemy unit in a turn.

Aye, in the Shooting ohase models may fire a number of shots depending entirely on the weapon they are using. Attacks are used in the Assault phase.

Sooting

"Normally each model in a firing unit can fire a single weapon. Some models, including vehicles, may be able to fire more than one weapon, as detailed later."

5th Edition Rulebook, page 15, "The Shooting Phase"

"Some weapons such as storm bolters and multi-lasers fire multiple shots. Where this is the case the number of shots a weapon fires is noted after its type. For exaple, a multi-laser fires three shots in each Shooting phase so its type is noted as Heavy 3."

5th Edition Rulebook, page 27, "Type"

Assault

"In close combat, both players' models fight. Attacks in close combat work like shots in shooting - each attack that hits has a chance to wound."

6th Edition Rulebook, page 34, "Fighting a Close Combat"

"All engaged models will fight in this turn's Assault phase with their full number of Attacks and use any special close combat attacks they have. Any model left unengaged because they are too far from an emey model cannot attack this turn."

5th Edition Rulebook, page 35, "Who Can Fight?"

You also need to keep in mind that the unit type will determine how many weapons may be fired. For instance, any man-size model (infantry, jump infantry, terminators, ect) can only fire one of their weapons per turn unless they have a rule that says otherwise (cyclone missile launcher on a terminator, multi-tracker on Tau suits, ect).

The dreadnought is a walker type and can fire all its weapons even if it moves.

Monstrous creatures are another type you'll run into and they are able to only fire 2 weapons per turn.

Other vehicles will be limited by how quickly they are moving. Refer to page 58 in the Big Rule Book (BRB) for a description of those rules.

Hope this helps and welcome to the brotherhood of 40k :)

You also need to keep in mind that the unit type will determine how many weapons may be fired. For instance, any man-size model (infantry, jump infantry, terminators, ect) can only fire one of their weapons per turn unless they have a rule that says otherwise (cyclone missile launcher on a terminator, multi-tracker on Tau suits, ect).

The dreadnought is a walker type and just like monstrous creatures it is able to fire 2 weapons per turn.

Other vehicles will be limited by how quickly they are moving. Refer to page 58 in the Big Rule Book (BRB) for a description of those rules.

Hope this helps and welcome to the brotherhood of 40k :blush:

Walkers may fire any number of weapons in a turn.

Archived