Chapter Approved

G.M. Valens

Greetings. So this issue was brought up in a recent tournament that I attended. I was playing Witch Hunters and was using a unit of zealots (WD 292 May 2004). The tournament organizers were unsure whether or not to allow me to use them because they were not sure if chapter approved was still legal. In the end they decided that I could use the list and it would only be a problem if I actually placed...which I did not.

So my question is, does anyone know for certain what the official rules are on using chapter approved materials? I know this day and age it is pretty much a fluke since the armies codex has not been updated since 3rd ed.

There's no hard and fast about this kind of thing; I'm of the opinion that anything that hasn't yet been updated can be used, but tournaments are a completely different baal (:)) game. Basically, you can use anything in friendly games with opponent's permission, or nothing outside of codexes in tournaments.

I'd let someone use quite a bit of it in a friendly game. I've got a stack of White Dwarves with what I consider to be some of the better Chapter Approved articles and the two compilations that were put out. Those days were really creative and WD was at least just a little more than an advertisement. I remember the Abhumans, Kill Team supplements, Creature Feature, Daemon Worlds, Ork Clans, Zealots, Imperial Guard High Command, Feral Orks, Deathwatch, Kroot Mercs, Minor Psyker Powers, Cursed Founding, Vehicle Design Rules...

So much awesome. They could do with that kind of official creativity.

Also, I remember an intelligible Contents section at the beginning of every White Dwarf. I guess that kind of comprehensive index is just too much to frickin' ask.

Archived