Goldenwonder's Black Legion

goldenwonder

Hi all;

Before I start I would just like to point out that I am not a particularly good painter but of late I have really started to focus on improving and enjoying painting rather than viewing it as a chore. My ideal standard is gaming standard and if I can achieve it at level I am personally satisfied with then I'm truly happy.

With the Call of Chaos coming up I figured it is about time to update my Black Legion force and to a good size before moving onto my other projects. It is also time I learned how to post images here hence the dual purpose of this thread.

Comments and tips more than welcome :P

Here's the first pic (fingers crossed), my Slaaneshi Forgeworld Dreadnought with Dual DCCW. This is the best painted model from my old Black Legion force - though I have only just (around 18 months - 2 years later due to Uni/exams/work/etc) done the base on the model and got cracking with painting again:

gallery_2041_4804_1619312.jpg

More pictures (hopefully of better quality) to hopefully follow.

That's a pretty good dread, I mean sure it's not Golden Daemon quality like what some of the people around here post but it's above most tabletop models I see. The only quibble I have is that the pink of the Slaanesh symbol looks too flat. I know that the symbol is flat but you might want to highlight it a bit to simulate light hitting it, since it sticks out too much as it is now. Otherwise well done, I especially like the dark purple you got for the head.

Thanks for generous feedback all :D

The only quibble I have is that the pink of the Slaanesh symbol looks too flat. I know that the symbol is flat but you might want to highlight it a bit to simulate light hitting it, since it sticks out too much as it is now.

When I painted this model it was one of my first attempts at highlighting and I still don't have the steadiest of hands for highlighting. That being said I may have a go at highlighting the symbol when I get chance. I've also started trying to paint gemstones so I may also update the red orb in the centre of the Slaanesh symbol at the same time.

The purple on the head if I remember correctly is simply Liche Purple, with the edges on the face highlighted with a 50/50 mix of Liche Purple/Tent Pink then an attempt at a second highlight of pure Tent Pink. This latter highlight probably covers all of the first though.

You have some good highlights that bring out the edges and I think it looks better than "gaming ready".

Thank you for the very kind comment Myxx. I still have a drastically long, long, long way to go to improve but this is the most generous thing anyone has said about my painting.

Next up is my first unit of Black Legionnaires sporting my forces new colour scheme.

My previous force had all-gold trim which looking back, isn't as satisfying as I thought it would be when on every model in the force. I have now moved over to the codex scheme of gold and silver trim, reserving all-gold trim for vehicles where silver is heavilly present such as Dreadnoughts/Defiler and possibly for my planned unit of Terminators.

The photos were taken at the same time as the Dreadnough so they aren't perfect - something I will seek to improve when I get time. Again, they are of gaming standard so highlights on the armour are not present. However I am still quite pleased with them and they are an improvement on my older Marines which I am gradually replacing.

gallery_2041_4804_1607356.jpg

gallery_2041_4804_1775215.jpg

Archived