Land Raider laser fire arc - intersect point?

Henry_Ward

So, as a relatively new player, I'm still wrapping my head around the interaction between the Land Raider's lascannons and the sponsons rules. I get that it can fire directly forward, and would seem to be able to intersect the two shots a ways out. However, because of the intervening body, it doesn't really seem like either can shoot something directly in front of the Raider at close range, and having both lascannons shoot at any one thing seems pretty much impossible at any kind of reasonable range, because chances are the Raider's body is going to get in the way for at least one of the two.

I get that this is an inherent limitation of sponsons, it just seems weird to me that the Raider literally seems unable to shoot both its lascannons at a single vehicle under almost any circumstances based on physically moving them on the miniature, and iirc our Machine Spirit version doesn't allow us to use it to split fire like the normal Space Marine one does.

How do you usually play this? Is there an official ruling anywhere? Thanks!

I look down the barrel of the gun. The rulebook takes middle of the outer part of the sponsons and draws a line from there to the corner of the tank, giving you the fire arc.

Generally at close range you'll be giving away a cover save as the sponson won't be able to see more than half of the unit/tank.

Having just done a relatively exhaustive test (for this time at night anyway), distances at which both sponsons on a LR (C in this case) can target a single model directly in front -

Dreadnought-sized model/base - approx 5 inches from the front of the assault ramp

Small Infantry model/base (IE: Space Marine) - 7 inches from the front of the assault ramp

If you look in the book - you will see that the LOS from each sponson weapon doesnt actually run parallel to the side of the tank, they do actually cut in in front of the tank to meet at a point in front and to the rear.

Archived