Tycho counts as, phantom of the opera

I am as I type typing over the WIP of the model, a commander getting his GS put on for his suit, I am currently also sieveing through images to get desgn ideas and see how common what features are needed (the mask is needed). This is an inspiration from the amicus thread and I thought, heck lets do it. I wanted to try out GS and even make a more phantom looking version. I'll post images when his suit part is done. Note this will be my first go at GS!

gallery_41387_2969_5917.jpg

Terribly sorry about the rubbish camera, my phones macro feature is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard. Hope you guys can see the general idea behind him and where he's heading.

Of course, whenever you use them you are obliged to sing "The phaaaaaantom of the opera is heeere..."

Whilst wearing a cape yourself.

I will save that for a sisters of battle canoness, which I do play to one day do when I can find the perfect model for the countepart (Aka the plastic kit for a canoness, haha. Lets get serious shall we?).

On the update side of things: plans are to use some artistic license; he will recieve an extension to his cape to blend it in to form a long tail coat along with a hat. I think it would fit the look well. However I may be biased because I watched 'flying rhino high' when I was young and think any character with the name phantom needs a hat! (however the show was funny as hell, 'IT IS FAN-TUM' was the most commonly remembered thing I can think of because everyone said it 'fan-um' missing out the T like us scots with Water!).

After I get this english thing out the way (why a teacher goes over the answers then gives me it to complete I have no idea) I will continue work on him. Colour scheme will be white on the mask with heavy use of gold on armour plates. Cape will be a 'pseudo-black' (for those who don't know, find an anime character with black hair in colour and you'll notice that while their hair is easily called black; they have other shades of black which are actually dark greys and such!).

Anyway, on with the homework the teacher practically did for me!

gallery_41387_2969_21592.jpg

gallery_41387_2969_56935.jpg

Update: he got his hat, cape is WIP still. Right now I am getting exceedingly annoyed wtih GS (sticking more to my fingers even with water on them than the model itself). He nears his build completeion however the date is unsure because the cape is givng me grief as I can't get it to twist into position correctly as the GS just wants to completely and utterly tick me right the :cuss off. Finding the experience rather mixed: getting ticked off at GS but also happy that if I learn this fickle foundation of fortuitous creation I shall be able to create models more easily and with more detail to them.

he looks pretty good, but you could really do with turning them so they're right way up before uploading, makes looking at the pics MUCH easier :cuss

with the GS the main thing it looks like you need, is to smooth it out a little more, my advise on how to do that is this: wet a finger or your sculpting tool and run it along the areas you are smoothing out in one direction, also make sure you only use as much as you need and cut off excess GS as you smooth it out, else you end up with blobs.

Hope that helps and I look forward to seeing your progress :)

he looks pretty good, but you could really do with turning them so they're right way up before uploading, makes looking at the pics MUCH easier :cuss

with the GS the main thing it looks like you need, is to smooth it out a little more, my advise on how to do that is this: wet a finger or your sculpting tool and run it along the areas you are smoothing out in one direction, also make sure you only use as much as you need and cut off excess GS as you smooth it out, else you end up with blobs.

Hope that helps and I look forward to seeing your progress :)

Thanks, the trouble is that my sculpting tool is my swish army knifes blade and while I try to not cause blobs, the blade drys at very awkward moments and the model itself retains water as if it were about to run out so often I find the blade dragging the GS off what I want and I have to re-form it. I may as well invest in 4 pounds and get me a proper sculpting tool. Thanks for the advice and I will see if I can get it to work for me (to be honest I was trying it but maybe I was giving up too early, practice makes perfect).

As for the pics: terribly sorry about them, if you could tell me how to fix them I would. Next time I take them I will tilt my phones camera 90 degrees so hopefully the next few pics I put up aren't neck-breakers! I hope to have this dude ready for a 1000 points 4 way battle on monday: My archangels, one of my regular opponents raven guard against 2 other space marines I believe so it's 3 SM and 1 BA, should have some real fun with it!

(as a note in fluff: this guy is the chapter masters personal bodyguard and captain of the bodyguards for the chapter master, he also doubles as a good entertainer when the CM is bored!)

do you have microsoft picture viewer or anything like that? you just need to rotate the image and resave it. I think standard windows image viewer gives the options to rotate an image as do many other programs, other things to do include making a white background to place the mini infront of, i usually use a piece of paper behind the min and another piece below. the plain white background will make the mini easier to be focused on by the camera.

Good luck!

I present the converted model ready for painting once the GS drys (I feel that it is at it's peak right now so I am counting my fortune and not going to risk breaking it).

gallery_41387_2969_36584.jpg

gallery_41387_2969_48184.jpg

looks a little rough in this pic but it is alot smoother than the pic implies, it's better than what it was anyway!

gallery_41387_2969_18609.jpg

and for all those wondering whats holding this piece up and how the macro is working so well at 'close range' then here

gallery_41387_2969_41980.jpg

The magnifier glass works quite well in keeping the macro working but also enlarging the model with no really notiable detail destruction

Well what do you guys think of my first ever go at GS, the project has been quite fun and he shall be fielded as tycho (hence why I chose the mechanical hand, represent the 'dead man's hand')

Edit: news flash, his hat has been trimmed down. Looking at it the part which would ;) around his head was implying it should be around his eyes so trimming the top round area he has a more reasonable looking hat. Thankfully some of the mask was torn off with no ill-effect to the mask entirey and even helped me reallign the model and the damage was so minor when I put it back it was a nice marker for putting it back on and no lines show for it so the fix was made without damage.

Archived