Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion or Salamanders?

I`m starting a new army for Astro-Winnepeg this year. Should it be pre- hersey or hersey era Alpha Legion or Salamanders? I have 50 Red Scorpions torso, and a ton of chaos and marine bits. Also I have a Alpha Legion dreanought painted already from last year. This will be something new for me my because of my 8000 pts of World Eaters. I`m not use to having a shooty army at all. so looking for some input on which way to go.

Considering that AL under C:CSM aren't effective as a shooting based force I'd say it is apples or oranges.

Do you prefer short range shooting with troops that a lethal in melee or do you prefer the insanity that is a Vulkan-led list?

Just that I`m not really use to shooting at all, maybe a pistol shot here or there. About the pads I wasn`t trying to sell them or trade them, just wanted to give them to someone that could uses them thats all. I`m leaning to the Alpha Legion side because I never seen either of these army done before. I`m going to use the C:CSM with limited equipment and weapons, only what they would of had during the heresy. But I would like to have 16 marines in a land raider to lead the assault.

Fair enough,

But that will unfortunately be a problem as our version of the Raider only holds 10 PA models and is inferior to the SM one (no infernal device/machine spirit for example).

At this moment in time, unless you are a deep rooted Alpha Legion fan and can't wait for the Legions to be given real rules justice, Salamanders have so much more available to them via the Marine Codex to make a really nice, fluffly (or competetive) army list. As Taerij said, many of the GW or Forge-world AL icons and pads can be used interchangeably, so the dred can still be used.

Plus, if you normally play a World Eaters list, taking the opportunity to make and play an army that is not only on the opposite end of the spectrum, it is also an aside from the chaos army you already have. Excellent and sturdy shooting through both anti-troop and vehicle weapons (meltas and flamers), the opportunity to have one iconic, fluffy, rock solid combat unit to break the line where and when you choose (thunderhammer terminators), bar that, you can actually have more than 10 models in a land raider.

Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion (my favorite of the original) would be an excellent idea, but to really do it justice, time, energy, and a lot of creativity/ working around non-helpful rules would be required.

I am also looking to attend the Winnipeg Astro, so I look forward to hearing about how your army idea turns out. Set for late July right?

Hey Candleshoes I will be looking for you there, Just that the Sallies are so much over played this days, and Alpha Legion will be alot of work. And the armies at astro always look so great, trying to shot for Mario level this year, been shooting ideas off him for a while now. I`m going to have to cast alot of suff for this project, but I know it will be rewarding when I`m done. I was the one with the bone colored World Eaters last year . If it`s not done by July, I`ll be bring renegades agains with at least a squad or two of Alpha Legions and ARKOS leading them.

Best of Luck in the months to come - I certainly will have my hands full with the ticking deadline.

I agree with the Alpha Legion bringing much more flavour to the mix, and however it turns out, I'll keep my eyes open for your army!

I hope to be bringing my Flesh Tearers if I can beat the painting deadline myself.

• 4 weeks later...
No plans on using the Vraks list, sad to say I`m going to miss this one. My outlaws planned a vaction, and my wife said yes to it so I`m stuck. Life has a way of playing with you, but it gives another year to finish this army. And if you know Mario, you better bring your A game in painting.

No worries- Mario and I go way back- well 6 years back!

I think I did beat him one year- but Jim was no longer in it, and I think it was Mario's Tyranid army that he started painting about 3 weeks before!

With Keith doing the paint judging now though, I have no idea how I would do.....

Sorry you won't make it this year, not sure about myself either.

Where are you from?

Im not saying beating him in a game, I do that all the time. Im talking in a painting score lmao. Windsor and you know me as Tethamon, always with Mongo. Only good coming out of this I have another year to finsh my Alpha Legion army. Check with Mongo about the paint job it`s really nice. This weekend I`ll see if I can get some pictures up on here.

I asked him if this was you! Good to see you on here-

Too bad you won't be up, but we are hoping to do an "Astro Reunion" in Windsor the end of August at Mongos-

I will try and get Peter there and if Mario flies down it would be great. Brock will try as well.....

Archived