First Models

notmattlythgoe

Here is a pic of one of my sergent bikers almost finished up. All that needs done is his base and some highlights on the black. I converted the bike into a chopper style bike instead of going with the normal bikes, as you can tell I don't like to do traditional stuff >.< Also does anybody have any tips on doing high lights on black? The high lights on my tac squad turned out ok but i'm finding out that I suck at high lights with a paint brush. I got a silver sharpie paint pen that I've done some highlights with and it turned out real nice, unfortunately sharpie does not have a grey paint pen :D and the blue turned out to be too light for the highlights.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8223/sergentbiker1.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7061/sergentbiker2.jpg

Nice model you got there ;)

For highlights, I'd try the old and hard way: use the base and add A BIT of white or bleached bone in order to get a clearer color...not clear enough? then add a bit more, and keep trying.

Remember, its way easier to paint a line 2 times than to "erase" 1 time :P

Tunics... I'd make them a bit lighter... but maybe its just the pics!

I'm liking the pre-heresy black approach and the Steam Knight heads [that seem to be cropping up a lot recently]. As to the chopper RW bikes, too cool for their own good :down:. Keep it up notmattlythgoe you'll have a very characterful army.

Cheers

I

• 2 years later...

Wow. Your skills have definately improved, not that they weren't admirable to begin with. Keep it up, brother!

P.S. If you still need tips on highlighting black, here's my trick... Paint the highlights with grey paint (I use the old Codex Grey) and a brush as normal, then go back with a black inkpen and tidy up any areas that are too thick. I get very thin precise grey lines this way. And after spray matt varnishing the model, the overly shiny black ink blend in with the less shinny black paint virtually unnoticably.

Wow. Your skills have definately improved, not that they weren't admirable to begin with. Keep it up, brother!

P.S. If you still need tips on highlighting black, here's my trick... Paint the highlights with grey paint (I use the old Codex Grey) and a brush as normal, then go back with a black inkpen and tidy up any areas that are too thick. I get very thin precise grey lines this way. And after spray matt varnishing the model, the overly shiny black ink blend in with the less shinny black paint virtually unnoticably.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm also going to try basing grey and doing a couple of black washes. That's what I did on the front bib? of the Libby and I was very pleased with how it turned out. I'm currently working on the LE Chappy in the DV box and doing the black that way. But, I'm probably going to go back and touch up my marines and bikes using your technique.

Bib? ahahahaha... I didn't even make that connection. Hrm... maybe we should call it a mantle? Or stole? ....maybe an ascot. Anything but a bib! :lol:

Glad I could help, though! Here'se specific pen I use, the one I have no problem matching Chaos/Abaddon Black to.

Prismacolor Black Fine Line Marker .005

Works wonders for text on purty seals and scrolls too. :) (And eyes! Oh good lord, trying to do eyes with a brush.... uhg!)

Chappy 95% finished, still a couple of touch ups that need done, like the rest of the trim on the back of the cloak and a few highlights.

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/6753/img20121206065733.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/5429/img20121206065706.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img209/8789/img20121206065743.jpg

The Chaplain looks great, but looks like you're suffering from the same problem I did when I started painting Deathwing years back; you're using too much wash, and it's showing up in the cape. It looks like you're using Gyphonne Sepia, but you should only be applying it to the recesses. Otherwise it looks very splotchy. Keep up the good work, and if you're looking to keep working join us on the Path to Redemption! Path to Redemption link

The Chaplain looks great, but looks like you're suffering from the same problem I did when I started painting Deathwing years back; you're using too much wash, and it's showing up in the cape. It looks like you're using Gyphonne Sepia, but you should only be applying it to the recesses. Otherwise it looks very splotchy. Keep up the good work, and if you're looking to keep working join us on the Path to Redemption! Path to Redemption link

Yeah I put too much on the back of the cape and it needs touched up. The way I do my cloaks is I base the entire thing in white then wash it all. Too much was the problem that time.

I actually really like the cape the way it is. I think the deep russet shadows accentuate the paler highlights. The red Deathwing badge on the white helmet is very striking too.

I actually really like the cape the way it is. I think the deep russet shadows accentuate the paler highlights. The red Deathwing badge on the white helmet is very striking too.

Thanks, I'm really pleased over all with how it turned out. I want to do a couple more highlights on the red and blue on the pistol, but I think this is my best one to date. I'm really pleased with how the smoke turned out.

I like the cape too. I prefer the darker colour you achieve with a wash over the whole of the area rather than just directly into the recesses. Results in a creamier colour than the bone white that is often described for DA, but I think it contrasts nicely with the rest of the model

Archived