Scout questions

Gavin

I am fairly new to the game and have not played much more than the Battle Mission Kill Team scenario, but I have been buying and building models with the intent to play larger games. My newest acquisition to my DIY Chapter was a single box of scouts with sniper rifles. I happily ripped open the box and inspected the sprues planning on getting them done up right and inserted into my army for when I get down to the playing aspect of the hobby.

3 things jumped out to me as I was figuring out their gear and point costs. I built them, but have had this nagging set of questions in my head that I cannot seem to get rid of. So, after having searched through the rules here and not having found answers to what I feel are fairly noob questions, I pose them here to get answers (and made fun of most likely).

Question 1.

There is no apparent ‘sergeant’ in the unit. Is this to mean that I can simply designate one as the sergeant for a game?

My thought:

I plan on using the one that seems to have had the option to be giving the hand gesture that seems like it could be ‘giving orders’. He is the one standing up with the sniper rifle cradled at the elbow and hip pointing up like he is holding it up and out of the way.

Question 2.

There are 4 cloaks and 5 figures, so obviously all of them physically cannot have the cloaks. Is it really required that I show all 5 cloaks if I pay for them in points?

My thought:

I realize there are WYSIWYG rules, but Games-Workshop’s blatant attempt to make me buy 2 boxes for 1 full WSYWIG stealth unit is annoying and a bit more costly than I can handle atm.

So, I figure since it will only be friendly games that I plan to play, I figure I can just tell my opponent that I paid the 3 points for the last cloak, and if he is not okay with it, I can either not use the unit, or ask if taking a piece of paper and making a quick mock camo cloak will satisfy their desire to be able to see the gear I have paid the points for, but could not afford to buy bits to show. The crew at the GW shop I play at is pretty friendly and they have endured my dozens of questions and prying into their most secret painting techniques, so I feel they will not mind me either not showing or using a bad physical representation.

Question 3.

I noticed in the C:SM scout section it says something along the lines of 'any model can upgrade their weapon for a sniper rifle', but I also notice that the sergeant specifically has his own gear upgrade section. I CAN still upgrade the sergeant's weapon to a sniper rifle, right?

My thought:

I already found something that pertained to this in the forum a few days ago, but am not able to find it now. I seem to remember it saying yes it is possible to upgrade the sergeant, so I am planning on doing that, since I have already modelled all 5 of them with sniper rifles, and my plan was to run a full 10 man scout unit in the future.

Thanks for illuminating meI am fairly new to the game and have not played much, but I have been buying and building models like a mad man. My newest acquisition to my DIY Chapter was a single box of scouts with sniper rifles.

I happily ripped open the box and inspected the sprues planning on getting them done up right and inserted into my army for when I get down to the playing aspect of the hobby.

3 things jumped out to me as I was figuring out their gear and point costs.

So, after having searched through the official rules here and not having found answers to my questions… I pose them here to get answers (and made fun of most likely).

Question 1.

There is no apparent ‘sergeant’ in the unit. Is this to mean that I can simply designate one as the sergeant for a game? How do scout users designate theirs, through gear or painting?

My thought:

I plan on using the one that seems to have had the option to be giving the hand gesture that seems like it could be ‘giving orders’. He’s the one standing up with the sniper rifle cradled at the elbow and hip pointing up like he’s holding it up and out of the way.

Question 2.

There are 4 cloaks and 5 figures, so obviously all of them can’t have the cloaks. Is it really required that I show all 5 cloaks if I pay for them in points?

My thought:

I realize there are the WYSIWYG rules, but Games-Workshop’s blatant attempt to make me buy 2 boxes for 1 full WSYWIG stealth unit is annoying and a bit more costly than I can handle atm.

So, I figure since it’ll only be friendly games that I’ll play, I’ll just tell my opponent that I paid the 3 points for the last cloak, and if he’s not okay with it, I’ll either not use the unit, or I’ll ask him if taking a piece of paper and making a quick mock camo cloak will satisfy their desire to be able to see the gear. The crew at the GW shop I play it is pretty friendly and they’ve endured my dozens of questions and prying into their most secret painting techniques, so I feel they won’t mind me either not showing, or using a bad physical representation.

Question 1.

There is no apparent ‘sergeant’ in the unit. Is this to mean that I can simply designate one as the sergeant for a game?

Yup, having him modelled differently is fine, just say hes the guy with his hand out or something.. generally aslong as you remember for wound allocation and his higher ballistic skill then its all good.

Question 2.

There are 4 cloaks and 5 figures, so obviously all of them physically cannot have the cloaks. Is it really required that I show all 5 cloaks if I pay for them in points?

Nope, aslong as 4 out of 5 have them then its fine, even in tournaments 4/5 cloaks is ok.. i use scouts without the wargear cloaks so i have no choice but to break strict WYSIWYG. Ive had no complaints yet

Question 3.

I noticed in the C:SM scout section it says something along the lines of 'any model can upgrade their weapon for a sniper rifle', but I also notice that the sergeant specifically has his own gear upgrade section. I CAN still upgrade the sergeant's weapon to a sniper rifle, right?

Yes as hes under the heading of ANY model, however he does have his own list of upgrades so be careful to get things right, he cannot for example be armed with a heavy weapon

Actually, one of the bits in the box looks much like a rolled-up camo cloak. =) So if you want to be thorough, you can be.

However, do not forget the "Counts As" rule which is BRB legal. If you have only one scout unit and you state on your list clearly "This unit counts as having camo cloaks" and you pay the points, and they can't be confused with another scout unit that does not have camo cloaks, it will fly. (At least, at any tournie I've ever seen.)

Actually, one of the bits in the box looks much like a rolled-up camo cloak. =) So if you want to be thorough, you can be.

However, do not forget the "Counts As" rule which is BRB legal. If you have only one scout unit and you state on your list clearly "This unit counts as having camo cloaks" and you pay the points, and they can't be confused with another scout unit that does not have camo cloaks, it will fly. (At least, at any tournie I've ever seen.)

I thought it was a bed roll/sleeping bag. :D

@gc08 -- yeah, I am pretty particular about denoting my sergeants. I may end up painting an actual U.S. military Seargeant rank symbol on his arm for lack of a better idea.

Thank you brothers!

Archived