Playing Iron Warriors in the Newest Edition

Hey guys. I haven't been round these parts in a long time due to school, but now I'm back, and I realized there's this new edition of 40k! Well...I mean, I stopped playing right as the newest ruleset came out, I mean, so I never got to play with the new rules. My question to you is, how does this affect the Iron Warriors playstyle? I know True Line Of Sight exists, but is this good or bad?

For a more specific question, I'm probably going to make a 1250 list. What's something that's rather powerful for said point level?

Also, I apologize for all of these newb questions, but as I say, it's been a few years since my last game.

My question to you is, how does this affect the Iron Warriors playstyle?

in no way .

I know True Line Of Sight exists, but is this good or bad?

with the new wound allocation this means you cant snipe with oblits anymore.

For a more specific question, I'm probably going to make a 1250 list. What's something that's rather powerful for said point level?

not realy . standard stuff 2 DPs oblits rest in rhino squads . we more or less play the same no matter what points. Ah and dont do it to yourself man play 1500 , less then that is realy unbalanced.

Wound allocation... check the link. True line of sight... its how it sounds, but you get a lot more cover saves.

IWs in 5th edition. The biggest thing is that you need to mech up. Chaos doesn't work sitting around. This isn't really bad, in IW fluff there are mentions of 'mobile' fire support units that charge the breach. Build your army around those is what I would say, but my army was built around that back in 3.5 so it was an easier transition for me.

For those mech squads you want a champ, and you want 2 special weapons.

Common favorites among IW players are.... 10 CSMs, champ-PF(you could always use your servo arm on this model as well), Icon of Chaos Glory, and then either 2 meltas, 2 flamers, or 1flamer/1melta, all in a rhino. Plasma can work, but its not as common.

A good place to start a list.

1 HQ, DPs w/ wings and warptime rule the tourny scene. If you want something cheap a sorcerer w/ doombolt works.

10 CSMs, champ-PF, IoCG, 2 meltas Rhino

10 CSMs, champ-PW & meltabombs, IoCG, 2 flamers Rhino

10 CSMs, champ-PF, IoCG, 2 meltas Rhino

2 oblits or defiler or vindi

2 oblits or defiler or vindi

Thats around 1100-1300pts.

Hope that helps. Oh and if you want a mark on your DP, Lord, Sorcerer a few counts as that IW players came up with a long time ago...... MoT=shield generator, MoS=advanced sensors, MoN=bionics/cyborg.

Iron Warriors are the most mechanical of the chaos legions, so they are perfectly suited for any counts-as: sorcerers are techmarines with crazy daemon-weapons, possessed/summoned daemons/spawn are combat servitors, plague marines are bionic siege veterans, thousand sons are robots lead by a tech adept, noise marines wield experimental weaponry. Khorne berzerkers are fluffy since IA anyway.

Basically, you may take what you like and always have a great excuse for spectactular tech-modeling. What's not to love? :cuss

@Ashe - Oh. Okay then. Makes sense.

@Iron - I need to magically come into owning more meltas/flamers to put on my guys. I GUESS I could get one of the Imperial sprues, but then I'd need to Chaosify them, and I'm not sure I have time (I still run 98% grays :D ) Good pointers with the list, though I lack the specific models to represent some of them (namely, I need another Rhino and more meltas/flamers), it's good to work up to.

@Neh - As to fluffing, I've got one squad with a Banner of Tzeentch - I just call it a Force Field Generator. :)

If you live in the states go to www.thewarstore.com. Then click on the thing about gamesworkshop bits. You can pick bits by army. So you can order meltas and flamers by themselves :P , and they have chaos meltas now. I just ordered 4 more meltas where I am doing some new squads. And new boxes of CSMs or SMs come with a melta and a flamer... so you will have some if you ever buy new minis.

Now the melta bits off thewarstore will be more expensive than the flamers because they are in high demand.

That is just my preferred list as well, if you have plasma you can do dual plasma in a squad as well. It prevents you from charging, but it should work in the meantime. My first buy would be that rhino. I would worry about making the army mech before getting every squad 2 meltas or 2 flamers, you can make do with just 1 melta and a power fist, or 2 plasma in the meantime. It will still be a strong list, it will just struggle more against other mech armies.

It's worth noting that GW sells a pack of 5 meltaguns on their direct order site for like $6.

I personally give a couple of my dual melta csm combi flamers, most flamers only get fired once per game anyways. :lol:

I use the nice old warsmith model as my IW lieutenant, and count him as a lord, his powerclaw arm and servo arm as a lightning claw or sometimes daemon weapon and his combi melta as a...er, combi melta. :P

It's worth noting that GW sells a pack of 5 meltaguns on their direct order site for like $6.

Its $6.60, but I wish I knew about that a long time ago. Good news to have :D . And a few links up on the conversion packs there is an IW conversion pack. Comes with special IW helmets, a lascannon, and a meltagun.

Its $6.60, but I wish I knew about that a long time ago. Good news to have :D . And a few links up on the conversion packs there is an IW conversion pack. Comes with special IW helmets, a lascannon, and a meltagun.

Yeah, but that conversion kit is $16 and change, and doesn't come with the legs anymore. (I do live in the states, BTW.) I'm totally gonna go look at thewarstore.com now, thanks!

Ah, yes my mistake, going from memory of the last time I ordered that. B)

The Iron Hands box in the collector's section for loyalists marines is also worth a look, it includes a lot of neat bionics bits that with some minor chaosification are great for adding character to an IW army. Plus it comes with a tactical squad sprue set you can use to get ahold of some other choice bits or swap off.

Archived