500pt list help

dudemanwow

Don't really know where it is on the naked librarian GW is selling. I see the power sword, the niceties like book and keys, but he has no helmet, and his head wears nothing but bald skin. He has an implant on the back of the head, though, like the AoBR captain, but I don't know if it's a psychic hood. It seems to be more visible on tha TDA Librarian !

Umm.... sorry but isn't this a PCA matter?

Anyway, for a first game player I would recommend reselience over killing power, so Chaplain or Captain. Since you are playing Tau you have no fear of Fearless killing your troops, even if you are just charging a Combat Squad into a 12 strong Fire Warrior Squad, even that is an overkill. So therefore, I stand by my original list. Or if later you want some more pure killiness or want to hone your psyker using skills, switch out the Chappy for a Libby instead and have fun Avenging those battlesuits!!! :sweat:

Thanks for the tip, but I am planning on the librarian. The chaplain sounds sweet aswell. Maybe I'll buy both and switch them out. This would allow me to test them out and choose which to use. Then when I play larger games, I could use them both. The librarian sounds more fun to use IMHO. Thanks again for the help.

I read that Tigurius is an independant character and cannot be attached to a squad. Is this true or can you infact put him in a squad?

Also if he can be put in a squad, lets say a 10 man tac squad, does he replace the sargent, another soldier, or can a squad with him be 11 guys total?

Its always good to test out your units and see which ones you like so getting both sounds like a good idea. Good hunting!

Tigurius is an Independent Character (IC) and ICs can be attached to squads, just like the chaplain or librarian could.

Tiggy or any other IC just joins the squad. No replacements or anything so yes in the case of the tactical squad its 10 men + tiggy.

Independant Character is the rule that allows you to join a squad. Other characters cannot join a squad they are not already a part of.

Example: Tigurius is an independant character. He can walk around on his own, or join a unit. He may even join them in their rhino or razorback if so desired. There are a couple of exceptions, but outside of vehicles you wont find them in C:SM.

Mephiston on the other hand, another very powerful librarian, does NOT have this rule. He cannot join another unit, though he can stay close to them. He can go in transports, but if he does only he can go in them as he is a unit of 1.

All of this is explained in depth on pg. 47 of the main rulebook.

Thanks for the info guys. I read that Tigurius has terminator honors so this means he has terminator armor right? If so then when I attach him to a 10 man tac squad he won't fit because they only carry 10?

Also doesn't terminator honors mean that he takes up 2 transport spots?

Sorry for all the questions and again thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!

No, terminator honours means he's earned the right to wear terminator armour; he's wearing power armour, but could wear termy armour if he wanted. Apparently he doesn't want to :lol:

As for the transport question: You can't put any more than 10 PA marines in a rhino, so you can't put an IC and a 10-man squad in a rhino... But you can put an IC and a 9-man squad in one. Or you could put an IC and a combat squad in a razorback. If you were so inclined... Also, neither rhinos, nor razorbacks can carry terminators.

You're right about models in terminator armour taking up 2 slots. The only things that can carry terminators are the various land raider variants. The regular old-fashioned LR (is that the one people call godhammer?!) and he redeemer can both carry 6 termies, whereas the crusader (my personal favourite) can carry 8.

Hope this helps :lol:

No, terminator honours means he's earned the right to wear terminator armour; he's wearing power armour, but could wear termy armour if he wanted. Apparently he doesn't want to :lol:

As for the transport question: You can't put any more than 10 PA marines in a rhino, so you can't put an IC and a 10-man squad in a rhino... But you can put an IC and a 9-man squad in one. Or you could put an IC and a combat squad in a razorback. If you were so inclined... Also, neither rhinos, nor razorbacks can carry terminators.

You're right about models in terminator armour taking up 2 slots. The only things that can carry terminators are the various land raider variants. The regular old-fashioned LR (is that the one people call godhammer?!) and he redeemer can both carry 6 termies, whereas the crusader (my personal favourite) can carry 8.

Hope this helps :lol:

Phobos pattern I believe is the proper name and it is armed with Godhammer pattern Lascannons.

Thanks for clearing that up. You did say that I can put an IC and combat squad in a razorback, but i thought that a razorback could only carry 5 guys and with the IC that would be 6 guys. So is a razorback's capacity 6 guys max then?

I recommend against using Tigurius unless you either 1. have a very specific use for him, or 2. just think he's the coolest thing ever. Use a standard librarian.

I use a libby in terminator armor with a storm shield. Actually, my friend made it for me: took the GW TDA libby with the book on his head and put the book in his hand...so he's massive (in TDA) and holding the book before him as if to say "READ THE FINE PRINT, HERETIC." or perhaps "DO YOU KNOW THE DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM?!" Anyway, I digress.

If you want a librarian for range, it's one of the cheapest HQs: stick it with you tac squad. For a small chunk more, TDA with a SS gives him a 3++ invuln and you can give him an assault power (e.g. MotA) without fear.

And, as was said, psychic hoods are great. I seldom leave the battle barge without one. Or two.

Nothing makes me crack a smile more than the Vortex of Doom with a TDA Libby. He's like a walking vindicator! Albeit with less range but still...

TDA with a storm shield is recommended like thade's setup. Not only does it make your Libby more durable, it helps just in case he accidentally eats his VoD pie plate. I still need to get one... need money :/

I wish Rune Priests could take a SS in TDA, but really the only options they get are for combi-weapons, and who cares about that?

*sighs*

Libbies are a very valuable resource, and fastly becoming moreso. Unless, somehow, the next codex is Tau or Necron they will continue to increase in their tactical value too.

Because nothing is better than informing your opponent that he cant get those warp-lances off that easy.

Thanks for the tip. I am working on a 500pt battle right now, but I like your idea. I think that I will buy Tigurius because I want a Librarian and also it goes with my ultramarines army fluff wise.

Umm... Tigerius is grossly overpriced points-wise. And remember you are playing a 500 point game. Tigerius takes up 230 of those precious points. Besides, I don't think the Chief Librarian of the Ultramarines would show up in a battle against 2 dozen Tau Fire Warriors when a single Tactical Squad could smash their brains already in close combat......

As a quick thought for cheap laughs and giggles ask your opponent if you can proxy 5 foot slogger marines into an assault squad and charge them into combat on the tau line you will both learn a lot about the value of assault troops from that.

Archived