Blood Angels WIP: Tanks, Troops, and Dust

Drathmere

I haven't posted on the B&C for a while, but since my old BA army is posted here, I thought I should post some of my replacement BA work. I am phasing the replacement units in, so I can still play the game, and not have to repaint everything at once. Since I started my original BA army, my painting style has changed quite a bit, and I have started using an air brush for a lot of pre-shading and weathering. I have not decided how to base these guys yet, but I think the dragon forge waste land bases look good. There are more images on my blog, but I picked my favorites for this thread.

gallery_37077_4836_99985.jpg

gallery_37077_4836_8090.jpg

gallery_37077_4836_160313.jpg

gallery_37077_4836_79279.jpg

gallery_37077_4836_1119.jpg

gallery_37077_4836_94519.jpg

The sang guard started white, and then had a gold/tin bitz wash almost. I then painted a thin gold over all the panels, and then highlighted with the GW light colored gold and silver. I used gryphonne sepia as a wash over all of the gold parts. I think the key thing was using the dark gold/tin color as my base coat. It went on very thinly and almost pre shaded the models. If GW ever gets around to shipping my advance order of Sanguinary Guard, I'll get another change to have at it! When it came time to paint the tanks, I learned a new way to paint blood angel wings. Just base coat the area white and use vallejo grey wash. I've tried to use watered down badab black before, but it always turns out dirty. The grey wash is just perfect.

Aha. Thanks, i've not yet started on my Sang Guard and i've been poking around for ideas. I guess i'll have to update my Dante to match too!

I shall look into this vallejo grey wash. It seems to be just the thing for going over white - as you say badab black makes it look dirty.

Archived