Mephiston Force Weapons

Nore

I do find it hard to believe that Eldar Farseers and Mephiston are supposedly more limited in their use of psychic powers than all generic psykers only using the rulebook rules are.

Recall that Eldar Farseers come very cheaply and can make you take your psychic tests on 3d6, suffering Perils on *any* roll totaling to more than 11. Also, recall that Njal from the SW cancels any power within 24" with a 3+ die roll (which virtually all Eldar-players I've met think is weird; Eldar *should* be the prominent psykers in the galaxy).

Mephiston is essentially a single model ten-man squad. I expect my tac squad to kill six models on a good round of rapid-fire, and I can expect Meph to kill the same amount when he charges a unit. His power "limitations" are there to make him fair. You don't want him taking Shield of Sanguinus or that power which gives him +d3 more attacks. <_<

Well Thade, in that case also recall that Farseers are only force multipliers- their ability to do anything at all on their own is very limited unless you want to assault alot of dreadnaughts.

I do find it hard to believe that Eldar Farseers and Mephiston are supposedly more limited in their use of psychic powers than all generic psykers only using the rulebook rules are.

Recall that Eldar Farseers come very cheaply and can make you take your psychic tests on 3d6, suffering Perils on *any* roll totaling to more than 11. Also, recall that Njal from the SW cancels any power within 24" with a 3+ die roll (which virtually all Eldar-players I've met think is weird; Eldar *should* be the prominent psykers in the galaxy).

Mephiston is essentially a single model ten-man squad. I expect my tac squad to kill six models on a good round of rapid-fire, and I can expect Meph to kill the same amount when he charges a unit. His power "limitations" are there to make him fair. You don't want him taking Shield of Sanguinus or that power which gives him +d3 more attacks. :)

Eldar farseers are cheap until you realise that you have to buy all those goodies and their powers.

Eldar farseers are cheap until you realise that you have to buy all those goodies and their powers.

I was under the impression you could get a Farseer with two powers and that "Your opponent takes psychic tests on 3d6" jammer-thing for 100 or less points?

A Farseer with only one (and the cheapest) power and the "jamming" ability would be 90 points. With two powers it would be 110 at least. With two powers and the ability to use them both, which we are talking about, plus the upgrade for easier psychic tests, he would be a minimum of 140 points. And that is mainly utility power.

'Impressed by the work put into this thread. Especially thade, Mordekiem and Legatus.

I wont be using multiple FW attacks nor making multiple attempts of any other power. It seems (eventually) clear to me that in general, psychers are (expected to be) only allowed to make one attempt on each of their powers unless specifically stated within their codex with a further limitation that only one psychic shooting attack may be made per shoot phase.

The quantity of powers per turn to me, therefore only speaks of options attemptable, not attempts optionable.

Now, if you guys can nail the whole player versus game turn argument, we'll be set. =)

Edit: misspelled a name *blush*

Now, if you guys can nail the whole player versus game turn argument, we'll be set. =)

Easy Breezy. Check pg 9. First paragraph of the second column states that all "turns" are player turns unless it specifically says game turn.

As for mulitple powers I played against Meph last night with my SW. We talked ahead of time and decided to let him recast the same power. It had very minimal effect on the game. In fact in some ways it benefitted me. He used up all his "powers" trying to cast the wings power while I canceled them with my runic weapon. This meant he did not always have preferred enemy or Str 10 when he would've liked. The Force Weapon was a non-factor.

So whatever rules you end up using it is not like it is game breaking.

Mord: that's usually where it comes up...when I try to use powers within 24" of Njal and his "3+ says NO, sucker" staff. I got no powers off in range of him, which was annoying as I really wanted Meph to tear apart a Land Raider he was hiding behind. <_<

As for mulitple powers I played against Meph last night with my SW. We talked ahead of time and decided to let him recast the same power. It had very minimal effect on the game. In fact in some ways it benefitted me. He used up all his "powers" trying to cast the wings power while I canceled them with my runic weapon. This meant he did not always have preferred enemy or Str 10 when he would've liked. The Force Weapon was a non-factor.

How to deal with multi-casters: Play Space Wolves.

:D

How to deal with multi-casters: Play Space Wolves.

:)

Either Eldar or Nids also work, as testing on 3d6 averages to 11 (a fail).

Archived