Mystics and Leman Russ

MagneticFreak

Hi all,

I played a game lately agaist my friend's Imperial Guard. He always struggled against drop pods and deep striking squads, so he used a trick last time that seriously perturbed my plans.

He added an inquisitor with a mystics in his army, so that each time a drop pod or deep striking units arrives, he apparently can shoot them with BS 5, in my turn, with whatever weapon he wants. He conveniently has a Leman Russ near by, so my squads got annihilated before even being able to use their meltaguns...

Is all this legal? Not that I doubt my friend judgement, but it seems pretty over the top...

Many thanks!

If he has 2 mystics, then another nearby unit can shoot the deepstrikers. Now mystics only work within a range, which must be rolled for each time.

Nothing the mystic does would make those shooting higher BS, the Lehman Russ is still normal BS under these circumstances.

If the unit deep strikes within 4D6 inches it can be targeted by the squad, if two are taken a friendly unit within 12 inches can take the shot instead. The only thing changing BS is a Sage which would only apply to the Inquisitor, not any unit shooting him, in which case would still only make the Russ BS4.

I have the dex at home, I can check when I get there. But yes, it's randomly determined and he's gotta roll for it each time. 4d6 sounds close, but I'll check in a few hours (if someone can't confirm before).

I have the dex at home, I can check when I get there. But yes, it's randomly determined and he's gotta roll for it each time. 4d6 sounds close, but I'll check in a few hours (if someone can't confirm before).

Just checked my codex, and I can confirm that it's 4d6.

If the unit deep strikes within 4D6 inches it can be targeted by the squad, if two are taken a friendly unit within 12 inches can take the shot instead. The only thing changing BS is a Sage which would only apply to the Inquisitor, not any unit shooting him, in which case would still only make the Russ BS4.

Dead on. Have my codex in my hands. Tell your friend he has but a few months left of this though if rumours are believed to be true.

Justicar Valius: I can't wait. <3

I will miss the Ally rules if they in fact drop those. But it would mean I could build an Inquisition Army. =)

OK, thanks for the replies.

Very sad and very cheesy if you ask me. Not that I think the mystic itself is broken, but I think the rule was designed in the context of the Inquisitorial codeci. I hate those rule abuses.

My friend told me all this was part of the ''Leaf blower'' list, whatever that is.

For Space Marines its not usually that bad- so he gets a free shot... you just deploy out of LOS behind your DP or if your JPing a peice of terrain. If nothings suitable you make the tactical call- is the oppurtunity this DS represents worth the chance the unit might be destroyed? Because an inquisitor + mystics is an incredibly fragile unit. If you dont have any DSs the squad is virtually useless too.

In any case, I believe this answers the question.

Well... technically the Russ could have BS 5 if it took Knight Commander Pask as an upgrade. So it is possible for him to have done that particular combination.

*EDIT - Gah, ignore me, I combined Pask's and Chronus's rules in my head*

By the way....doe the guy need LOS to use this ability. I mean, can he use it while being in a transport? I know our priest can cast spells erh...psychic powers in a rhino in the shooting phase, but how about in the opponent's turn?

Thanks again

By the way....doe the guy need LOS to use this ability. I mean, can he use it while being in a transport? I know our priest can cast spells erh...psychic powers in a rhino in the shooting phase, but how about in the opponent's turn?

Thanks again

Yes, mystics can still do their job in a Rhino or other transport; just measure distance from the hull.

No, mystic's does not need to see their "victim". Furthermore I believe you may give 12" rule to tanks or to an unit inside a transport(!), or every one you like, because you don't need to see the unit within 12".

Although I wonder, as the actual models are removed from the table, but the "spirit" or what ever is still inside that tank. BBB tells that If the players need to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull, so Inq Lord needs to be within 12" of the transport.

Or at least so I understood it.

As it is not a psychic power, if recall it right, psychic powers can't be targeted inside a vehicle.

Correct me if i am wrong. I just love to get hate mail. :angry:

-ICE-

Aren't Leman Russ tanks normally BS 3, like most other IG units?

Valerian

Archived