Iron Warriors - Seige Troop Corp

Dr Duck

Yet more Iron Warrior stuff.... :D

Heres the plan: I'm making 3 units of Iron Warrior Seige Troops to help out my Nurgle and Khorne Chaos Marine armies.

The plan is to produce:

5 Chosen with Plasma Guns

5 Chosen with Melta Guns

6 Havocs: 2 Lascannon, 2 Heavy bolter, 2 Missile Launcher - to mix and match (thanks for the rules update vladvar ;) )

1 Havoc Commander

The bits i'm using are:

1 x Iron Hand Space Marine Boxed set

1 x Space Marine Devastator Squad

1 x Melta Gun pack

1 x Plasma Gun pack

10 Chaos marine backpacks

1 x Seigesmith model

The aim is to mix in the Iron hand parts amongst the 16 troops and use the chaos marine back packs for the choosen. The havocs still need the traditonal marine backpacks but i'm hoping that once the whole squad is wrapped up in a iron warrior 'silver and hazard stripe' that it will hold enough of the chaos feel. I was considering using some other CSM kit parts but i decided i wanted a much 'cleaner' look to these troops as i thought it suited them. I ruled out the Iron Warrior shoulder pad set for the same reason, I found the deign 'messy'

First WIP shots of the models below:

http://www.digital-carbon.net/files/40K/ironwar1.jpg

oops! your absoloutely right! <_<

I've got enough bits that i can easily change the havoc plan, the marine squad is well catered for with weapon options. I've already got 3 obliterators so i've got the use of them.

Ammended my post and realised also that i'll need a 5th man in my havoc squad as a commander. Going to have to buy seigesmith a I guess (what a shame :P)

Yup, they pretty much all will be in fact.

If it was one of the 'core' chapters it would be an issue for me, but i'm not sure many people know the iron hands badge too well. This is the same reason I didn't modify the fleshtearer badges off of my Khorne painted Gabriel Seth: how many people recognise a fleshtearers badge.

I'm also not likely to make a big deal of it in the painting. With the hazard stripes being such a key part the intention is to leave the logo the same colour as the rest of the main pad and have it as relief decoration (for which I think it works well)

And if that all fails I can always tell a concerned opponent that its a recently corrupted Iron Hand detachment that the specifically Iron Warriors sought out due to their close ties. :tu:

Sorry man don’t want to sound rude but there aren’t any chapters more “core” than the first founding ones . When you’re assuming most people are ignorant you’re insulting them and their dedication to the hobby, particularly when you do this posting on a website that’s full of Space Marine loving fluff fanatics like myself.

Sorry man don’t want to sound rude but there aren’t any chapters more “core” than the first founding ones . When you’re assuming most people are ignorant you’re insulting them and their dedication to the hobby, particularly when you do this posting on a website that’s full of Space Marine loving fluff fanatics like myself.

+1

and for op it is writen siege not seige ;)

+1

and for op it is writen siege not seige :D

+2 flesh tearers are now extremly popular and iron hands in my opinion (despite being pushed to one side by GW) are one of the all time greats fluff wise.

moan over

your marines are looking great, the use of iron hands boinics and stuff makes them look very unique. i would have to agree with others, the iron hands badge cant really stay... if you could file the symbol off and GS an iron warriors one then all would be dandy :D

good luck with your call

Indeed in the infantesimal universe of 40K there are 100 different ways that pad design could have ended up on this units shoulders. I've already listed one plausible possibility. Personally though i've always adhered to the primary tenant of the hobby: 'Your army, your way'. I'm certianly not intending to insult anyone thats for sure!

Moving on from that, the first model is complete. I've had some difficulty balancing how much hazard stripes I should include. In this case its shoulder, gun and wrist. I'm planning to leave the havocs till last as I want to do them with a bit more 'hazard' on them, and thats probably best with a more practiced hand.

The edges of the stripes did suffer a bit, i wanted to make sure they had a worn metal look, but I think i've gone a bit heavy with the final silver drybrush layer as it washed out the yellow and black itself. More edge, less surface next time i think.

http://digital-carbon.net/files/40K/ironwar2.jpg

i wouldnt worry about the hazard stripes they looks great, just worn enough for warp dwelling traitors :P

i would suggest a little bit of burnished gold trim here and there, but as you have said, your army your way. i totally agree.

keep it up :)

Yeah that was my concern with him. I've avoided large areas of black because i've had difficulty highlighting it, , however with the edging being done in the hazard stripe it might work

I would recommend you to remove or paint x marks (like old red corsairs) on winged skull chestplate symbols – imperialis as it is called was the symbol of loyalist marines since horus heresy and no traitor marine would wear one. Sorry for not commenting on that before.

Would people stop bitching about his shoulder pads and instead compliment the really attractive looking paint scheme and how well it was pulled off?

Actually on that, I found that in the space marine kit there are quite a few blank fronts. I have need for another boxed set so I have the bits to build up a different unit for my loyalists so I should be able to minimise the use of the chest eagle on these ones.

Archived