Ironclad conversion

Mnemonikk

Ok so here are the early stages of my Ironclad conversion... It's missing a few little details & needs a few more plates of armour added (not to mention a fair amount of reconstructive surgery ;)), but I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking so far.

Sorry about the crappy pictures, but I've had to borrow a camera because mine's broken & this one's waaaaaay too complicated for an ogryn like me... :) -_-

gallery_54169_4839_24330.jpg

gallery_54169_4839_804816.jpg

Basically the hammer's rocket-powered :D

Oh and I know what you're probably thinking... How does it fit in its drop pod?!?! Meh... I hereby invoke my right to artistic licence :P

But other than that does anyone have any comments? Been a long time since I did anything like this & it'd be useful to get some feedback from you good people.

Mnem =)

Looks pretty good so far but I'm left questioning how does it swing its hammer? Might I suggest adding something either just at the Hammers Haft or below the Hammers head to make it look like the Hammer can rotate?

The Iron front seems all together strange. Maybe it's just because looking from the side it juts a lot. Can't see Marines putting a large gap between a dreadnought and the reinforced armor. Perhaps GS it or find some other way to plug the sides?

The Iron front seems all together strange. Maybe it's just because looking from the side it juts a lot. Can't see Marines putting a large gap between a dreadnought and the reinforced armor. Perhaps GS it or find some other way to plug the sides?

Yeah the idea is that the jutting-out addition on the front going to be solid armour plate. GS shall be making an extensive appearance once I'm happy with the proportions & layout. Like I said; reconstructive surgery ;)

Now... I realised that the DCCW couldn't actually reach past the massive extra armour so I decided to beef it up a little. Here are the pics:

gallery_54169_4839_45005.jpg

Draeden - Can you explain your idea? It sounds interesting but I just can't picture what you're saying. I'm currently modelling the hammer as being rocket-powered... It's got a servo or whatever (I'm no techmarine) to raise it again, but the hammer blow is powered by a rocket engine. Is that a little far-fetched? I guess I just got a little carried away with that almighty great hammer........... :)

Anyway, thanks for looking & keep the c&c coming guys :)

If you can manage it, one thing that popped into my mind with the cylindrical combat weapon was a spike, corkscrew, or chain weapon emerging from it. A nice and brutal way to get some more extension and make it more weaponlike.

Sorry for the double post... Here's an alternative pose for the dread (maybe it shows the way the hammer moves a bit better):

gallery_54169_4839_121984.jpg

Also, I've decided he needs to be a little taller. Can anyone give any suggestions? I was thinking cut him in half at the waist & extent that a little bit. Also maybe extend the legs a little to balance that titanic weight a little better?

=)

If you can manage it, one thing that popped into my mind with the cylindrical combat weapon was a spike, corkscrew, or chain weapon emerging from it. A nice and brutal way to get some more extension and make it more weaponlike.

Oooooooh..... I liiiiiike :)

You Monsier are Monsier Awesome!

Man, I really dig this hammer. It really looks like a swing from this would crush tanks like paper.

It does look like the enemy would have to be directly in front of it though, as it doesn't appear to have any sort of horizontal swing to it.

Glad I'm not the only one :) Yeah I was just lookin at him & thinkin that... Can't be bothered to take another picture right now but try to imagine this...

1) Remove arms

2) Place DCCW claw (just the 'fingers') placed on arm peg facing out - this will form the socket of a ball-and-socket shoulder joint.

3) Maybe steel washers & ball magnets to make the joint... Saw that as a suggestion on someone else's conversion :D

Gotta sleep now but will try & get some more done tomorrow... Trouble is I need a 2nd DCCW claw :/

Ok, quick bump & update here before I stop cluttering up this forum for a little while... Be back when I've actually made some headway! Anyway I went for a bit of a design change on the dread, sparked partly by what brothers Icarus & Leebe said about his weapons... See what you think:

gallery_54169_4839_288314.jpg

We're just looking at a skeleton here really but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I'm going for. Pretty sure I've decided on using sentinel legs with beefy armour on top... Unless someone can convince me otherwise :unsure:

Cheers,

Mnem

Yeah the others better explained what I was mentioning. I was gonna suggest maybe fixing in a Rhino Capola around the Hammers haft somewhere so it can rotate, and combine that with the Dreadnaught being able to rotate on its legs, would create an appropriate swinging motion.

Yeah the others better explained what I was mentioning. I was gonna suggest maybe fixing in a Rhino Capola around the Hammers haft somewhere so it can rotate, and combine that with the Dreadnaught being able to rotate on its legs, would create an appropriate swinging motion.

Hmm... So do you think there's an improvement now? Should I model it so the haft of the hammer can come all the way down to horizontal? I did think about that, but reasoned with myself that the most efficient way of using a hammer is lifting it up, then bringing it down really fast cos... you know... you've got gravity helpin you a little bit... And let's face it; marines are all about efficiency.

As for a hand holding the hammer, it's a nice idea, just doesn't really fit with my aesthetic ;)

Right... tomorrow I buy a sentinel to abuse to my own devious ends... Thanks for the comments guys! Keep them coming :)

Sorry about double post but just realised what you guys were talking about with the added rotation... [/facepalm]

Yeah, that's definitely what it needs - I'll get cracking on it soon! I'm gonna beef up both the shoulder sections, basically bring them up to scale with the body. Anyway, thanks a lot guys :)

Thanks a lot for the comments & encouragement brothers :)

@ Brother Icarus - I'm glad you like the way it's going... Steampunk eh? I'm quite sure I have exactly no idea what you mean :D Ok, ok, ok...... Maybe there was perhaps a teeny smidgen of inspiration taken from Warmachine... ;)

Well I haven't had much of a chance to work on this little guy recently cos I've been frantically getting his power-armoured brothers painted up... (separate thread to follow at some point!) Used up a whole can of black spray in 2 days... Ooops! Anyway, here's a hastily pinned & blu-tac'd together version I built to give myself an idea of how much to beef up the shoulders:

gallery_54169_4839_578439.jpg

As you can see, I've added an extra section to the haft of the hammer, as Draeden suggested, to give the impression that the whole thing can rotate... Thanks for that one brother! :) What are people's thoughts on which way the head of the hammer (forgot the proper name for it...) should face? Not entirely satisfied with how it is at the moment.

For the CCW, the plan is to have 3 little thunder hammers as claws around the edge of the little claw in the middle, but I'll do that when I have more time!

Thanks again for the comments - really god to hear what people think! :)

Bye for now. M

you have to beef up the legs alot!

I really do, don't I... It looks like a flamingo in a life vest! I think I'll just scratch build some scaled up versions with plastirod etc & use the actual sentinel legs for something else. Cheers dude ;)

Awesome!

A beefed up bipedal bulldozer on steroids!

I like the arms especially, they look pretty menacing in a Deffdread kind of way.

I would beef the legs to match the arms. I would then remove the storm shield from the end of the hammer and replace it with a plate that said 'Have A Nice Day!'

after you've added the changes to the arms , best dreadnought conversion i have EVER seen !!!!!

i agree with armouring the legs a TAD more but on the whole it's an awesome , awesome conversion

good job !!

Thanks a lot for the comments brothers :P

... remove the storm shield from the end of the hammer and replace it with a plate that said 'Have A Nice Day!'

This, I love! I'm picturing hazard stripes with the words scratched into the paint... That sounds pretty damned cool.

Ok so the plan is to buy some plasticard & rod as soon as I get paid and get started on the new legs & hammer... So you should hear from me again reasonably soon. Thanks again guys ;)

Archived