Can some one solve my "Rhino" Argument?

7Thunders

In the space marine codex,Page 135.

under dedicated transports.

A Rhino is 35 pt.s under the tanks wargear it states that it has a storm bolter.

it then says that the rhino can take a storm bolter for x pts.

I say: you have to pay for the bolter,thus making the rhino 35+x pt.s total.

My opponent states: NO! this is a misprint.the bolter comes automatically.,you only have to pay for the H/K missle. :rolleyes:

Which is true?

I don't care who's right or wrong,i just thought it was a rather stupid thing to debate. I pay for bolter and H/K missle thus making the rhino 55 pt.s.

I would much rather play than debate this,but you know how people can be.

thanks

well.that kinda sucks.

i modelled mine with the missles only. :rolleyes:

i use mine to just basically transpot my tacs and to block

line of site. Actually i rather enjoy shoving them up in my opponents face

and screwing with his plans. :)

thanks for the responses guys

I run several squads with dedicated rhino or razorback vehicles. the extra points for the 2nd storm bolter are usually worth it to me, even if the vehicle does get destroyed as it advances. I usually do NOT put my troops inside the vehicles. I dis-like having to deal with entanglement in the wreckage, so I march the troops behind the vehicles. This allows me to use the rhinos as a way to thin enemy troop ranks before my own troops engage, and gives the troops a cover save against being shot at as they advance behind the moving cover of their vehicles.

remember: a destroyed rhino, that didn't blow up, stays on the board as 'wreckage' and can be used as cover by the troops. the 4+ cover save is quite nice against insta-kill weaponry.

moving a line of rhinos forwards, followed by troops and assault marines, is a pretty good deal... but you have to maneuver smartly. once you get into range, the tacticals can 'double tap' their weapons and the assault marines jump over both tacticals and the line of rhinos, and on the assault phase, slam into his decimated line to increase their effectiveness. the following turn, the tacticals don't shoot, and 'pile in' in a charge of their own to help mow down the enemy.

This tactic DOES work sometimes. Especially, if you have hard hitters like Vindicators, Predators, and Land Raiders as threats to siphon off the opponent's firepower. you'd be amazed at how low on the scale of importance shooting troops is, when you have a couple of squadrons of land speeders, full bike squads, or a couple of land raiders to distract and absorb the enemy's firepower.

Four Rhinos, firing two storm bolters each, is 16 bolter shots in support of your tactical bolters. figuring a special and heavy weapon in each squad, that's 32 bolter shots for four tactical squads. So, having the Storm Bolters on your rhinos is like having another squad in support.

And, one other tactical concideration: If your opponent goes for 5-man squads, it's doubtful he'll put the heavy weapons in the front line. Which means the rhinos can live to reach the enemy's gunline in most cases. Even with a few losses (remember, rhinos CAN roll repair rolls every turn to get things functional again) in route, you should still be able to amass your troops for effective bolter firing into his gunline.

Just a few thoughts,

Rymeer

Things that are listed under wargear, you get.

Things that are listed as upgrades you may take for their listed points cost. There are two cases here. In one case, the upgrade replaces a particular piece of wargear (you must have the piece of wargear to replace to get it, and once you do, you can't take anything else that replaces it - it's already replaced). In the other case, you just get it. <3 The entries are (usually) pretty clear with regards to that.

well.that kinda sucks.

i modelled mine with the missles only. <_<

No big deal. Most people don't care if you don't model standard equipement. Even if you play someone who does, it's a pretty simple fix.

Archived