Deathwing painting quandry

Debris

I am in a painting quandary that I need help with. I'm trying a new paint scheme on my Deathwing termies and I'm not quite sure on how I want to proceed.

For my DW terms, I'm using the usual bone white, but with darker contrasts than usual. I also want to tone down all of the red and green details that you have seen in the past. By that I mean the aquila, belt buckle, and any details on the hands and legs will be gold. However, to keep the motif of the DA, I do want to keep the storm bolter casings red (a constant throughout my DA army) and any jewels will be either red or green.

Here' my WIP termie:

gallery_12323_4841_130263.jpg

The thing I'm stuck on is the Crux Terminatus. The latest trend is to paint these grey to reflect stone, which is not to my liking. Artistically, adding another neutral color to my scheme will not produce a very aesthetic result. I want something darker to contrast with the bone, but I don't want to introduce another color to the scheme (bone/gold/red/green).

I tried several color variations on a test shoulder pad, but am still having trouble coming up with something I like. Here's the one I liked the best:

gallery_12323_4841_170347.jpg

The thing is, it's not really grabbing me like it should. Any suggestions and or advice from the B&C faithful?

Seeing as it's dark angels why not try and make it look like Emerald, or some other dark green gem.

Or alternatively... you could continue the theme of belial's heavenfall blade and have the like Onyx or similar.

I see what you mean about the current scheme not really working and I think it might look better if you paint the skull 'n' cross-bones like the rest of it rather than gold.

Finally, though your bone is amazing, can I suggest maybe a gryphon sepia/devlan mud glaze as to me it seems that little bit too clean for my likings, after all, they are the vanguard of the dark angles assualts

Nice start so far Debris,

I'd suggest flipping the colours. Paint the Crux in Gold or Silver, and the skull & crossbones (or perhaps just the crossbones) in the spot colour. Not sure if I'd go green - red might make it pop more, and add a nice balance against the DA symbol and the bolter casing.

This is kinda what I mean - but silver not gold obviously (sorry this is the best pic I have of the concept)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Imperial/Space%20Marines/Dark%20Angels/Deathwing/P1010530.jpg

Or click me for more pics.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Widowmaker

Archived