Tycho - 2nd War For Armageddon

I preface this post by stating that this is the second ever time I have painted non-metallic metal (the first was a Witch Hunters Inquisitor I produced 5 years ago).

I wanted to convert a model of Captain Tycho at the onset of the Second War For Armageddon (i.e. pre-facial injury). The conversion work was pretty easy (I cannot handle anything too complex!) - a simple kitbash of Space Marine Commander, Death Company, Sanguinary Guard, Tactical Marine and Sternguard parts; with a little greenstuff to create the Dead Man's Hand.

I am painting the model in five separate components (four now the head is complete): the head, torso + arms, hands + Bloodsong, legs + base, backpack + banner. At this moment in time I have already spent many hours on the model, and have only completed the head, steel bits and armour! Nonetheless, I am immensely proud of the result, especially considering my lack of experience with NMM. Later I am going to try a freehand banner, so I am obviously a glutton for punishment when it comes to difficult techniques!

I have painted Tycho with blonde hair as I wanted him to look every part the Aryan Angel, resplendent in golden armour. I may decide to change this though, as it looks a little similar in tone to his armour. What do you think?

Individual components:

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab87/mercury82_photos/Blood%20Angels/DSCF0854.jpg?t=1272832371

Detail of torso, with two light settings:

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab87/mercury82_photos/Blood%20Angels/DSCF0856.jpg?t=1272832578

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab87/mercury82_photos/Blood%20Angels/DSCF0857.jpg?t=1272832600

Looks really good - for your second attempt at NMM, it looks amazing. The blond hair isn't too close to the armour so you don't lose it's colour. Are you going to paint the Blood-drop on the gorget? Adding a bit of red would act really well as a focal colour.

Great looking model so far!

Wow, that NMM gold looks great, and it's a good kitbash too. Makes me want to get hold of some BA parts more than I already do :lol:. (Saying that I'm slowly gathering parts for a DC marine...)

I agree with Lestat that the hair is far enough from the gold colour to keep it blonde. The face looks fantastic too. I wouldn't worry about taking ages to paint the mini, the time spent is obviously paying off.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this project,

James

The blood drops on the model will be purple, as per the current GW trend. I am planning an painting the cloak black, with a red trim. I will also be painting the ropes on the leg in red as an allusion to what the future holds in store for Tycho (Death Company). The bleeding wing on the shoulder pad will be white with purple gemstone blood drops. The eagle heads on the backpack will be white. The skulls on the model will be painted in a grey-white colour to ensure that they stand out from the gold armour (I don't think bone shaded with brown will work, for example).

Archived