Land Speeder Squadrons

Jarl Bloodwolf

My army list fields 3 Land Speeder squadrons with 3 Land Speeders in each. Now i really like them in my army as they have worked EXTREMLY well for me (I have a wide range of SM models so i can run 4 differant lists for those who have seen my other army posts) but i have never been able to settle on one kitting. Would it be beneficial to replace all of my land sppeders heavy bolters with multi meltas for anti tank ability and then upgrade them all to tornados so they can also have heavy flamers against hordes?

What I know is that it's best to give your landspeeder a job. Hevay Flamer Multi-melta is good as well as thrifty points wise, but it's way more effective if you give it a task. Heavy flamer and assault cannon work well vs. hordes as you can punish infantry as well as hurt the big stuff. The typhoon with heavy bolter or heavy flamer is nice and balanced, as you can kill large things pretty well (especially those lame crisis suits) and punish the hordes.

I think that multi-melta and heavy flamer is a great weapons combination for a lone speeder, it can assist other units against pretty much any target so it's an ideal close support unit.

I'd recommend against that when you have a squadron though, I think you would have a hard time getting many flame templates into good positions, also with being that close to the enemy it makes them a very tempting and fragile target for people to assault, they might be hard to hit when flittering about but a squad with some krak grenades will be likely to give them a lot of upset.

One option you might like is double heavy bolter, cheap and cheerful they can hang back and mosy arond slowily pouring gunfire into stuff, the assault cannon is too expensive for what you get, but the Typhoon missile launcher is good value. Excelent range and firepower means that you can have a squadron blasting off a hail of missiles... against tanks you just fire kraks against infantry you can fire the heavy bolters and use frags as a defense weapon so unload everything whilel travelling up to 12" which is pretty good.

Archived