Storm Bolter and a Relic Blade

Vertebrae

A friend recently asked me if this is allowed, and having no idea about what is inside of the SM Codex, I had no answer for him.

Can a Chapter Master be equipped with both a Storm Bolter and a Relic Blade? I know that you could have a combi-bolter with a daemon weapon in the CSM codex, but I'm not sure how it works for the SM codex.

If they can not, could someone point me to the page in the rulebook that disallows it?

Yes. It's in the Codex. :tu:

Do you mean about the part in the Relic blade entry about it being a two-handed weapon?

Regardless, a Chapter Master CAN be equipped with both. Interestingly, if the CM is in Terminator Armor then the Relic Blade is no longer an option.

Funny enough, that's what I use.

Storm Bolter, Relic Blade, Aux. Grenade Launcher.

That way he gets to deal out Str 6 ranged/or 2 shots plus template and Str 6 in CC.

Since I drop Pod him in with a squad then split him off, it gives him the ability to threaten any target(s).

No CCW bonus, but I don't care about that.

I run that (Relic, Storm Bolter, Aux Grenade) exact spec for my Black Reach captain; well, plus artificer armor. Can be an extremely effective charger with 3 shots to soften them up going in.

Yes, it's legal.

Think of it this way. Each phase you must choose which weapon(s) your model is using given that it has two hands. So, for the shooting phase you choose the Storm Bolter, and the assault phase you choose the Relic Blade.

Even easier: The Relic blade says nothing about handedness, only that you can't get an extra attack from an off-hand when wielding it. It doesn't say that it takes two hands. So, there's no conflict. A storm bolter doesn't award an extra attack in CC, and a relic blade doesn't accept one anyway.

Handed-ness is a relic of older Codices that is rapidly going away with any army with a new Codex. Simply put, since the new Space Marine Codex doesn't mention handedness anywhere, you are allowed as many guns, weapons, pieces of wargear and whatnot as you can cram onto your model without going over your points limit of your game :huh: People have also pointed out that some of the Veterans can end up with 3 or 4 guns too, and just have options in terms of each shooting phase...

Handed-ness is a relic of older Codices that is rapidly going away with any army with a new Codex.

I was very hand-wavy about this part because the BA codex seems to be bringing back handedness; instead of relic blades they get "two-handed swords" that are master-crafted power weapons. While it doesn't say "they can never get the off-hand bonus" it does say "two-handed"...which leaves me to infer that they don't get a bonus for a pistol should they have it.

Two Handed is a core rule, and it still means you cannot get the Two Weapon Fighting bonus.

Ironically enough, it is found under the heading 'fighting with two single handed weapons' on pg. 42 of the BRB.

Archived