Biker Command Squad Transport

I was just going through my codex and noticed that there are no restrictions on the dedicated transport options in the command squad entry (versus, say, drop pod for tactical marines or upgrades like "if you do not take X you may..." on many other units; which led me to wonder if I could take an extra razorback with my command squad to run interference and add some more guns. I'm not saying its the most fluffy behavior, but in a crunchy setting is this technically in-bounds?

Thankfully we only deal with the 'crunch' in this area.

Your answer is yes- there is no restriction on taking the unit, the unit is offered as an option, thus.... you can.

which led me to wonder if I could take an extra razorback with my command squad to run interference and add some more guns.

What d'you mean by "extra razorback"?? You may only take one transport per unit.

Cheers

I

If it is worded as you say, a biker command squad could buy a razorback, either to loan to a combat squad that doesn't have a transport or to provide cover/shootiness.

The BA codex fixes this, not allowing transports if you give the Honor Guard Jump Packs.

You know, i never even though about this, but it's awesome. I can now sink a ton of points into a Biker Command Squad, and then splurge another ton of points on a Stronos pattern Razorback to go alongside them!

which led me to wonder if I could take an extra razorback with my command squad to run interference and add some more guns.

What d'you mean by "extra razorback"?? You may only take one transport per unit.

Cheers

I

Its 'extra' because they cannot use it, being on bikes and all.

Atleast, thats how Im understanding it.

That's exactly what I meant "I have 2 tac squads and a biker command squad... can I take 3 razorbacks (an 'extra') rather than the 2 I thought was my limit". Don't know how effective it will be but may be worth trying.

That's exactly what I meant "I have 2 tac squads and a biker command squad... can I take 3 razorbacks (an 'extra') rather than the 2 I thought was my limit". Don't know how effective it will be but may be worth trying.

Might be worth it if you were going to take something that doesn't have the option of taking a transport. Scouts, for instance.

Keep in mind that a squad can't deploy embarked into another squad's dedicated transport. That is, if you do this (buy the razorback for the biker team) that box starts out empty when you deploy. During turn 1 and thereafter, infantry units which are small enough and can legally embark (not jump or bike) can load in.

I wouldn't think too much of this, honestly; a razorback is a brittle little kill-point that costs a good chunk of points, especially if you are going for the lascannon or assault cannon load out. You can probably find better ways to spend those points.

EDIT: Though if you're taking the heavy bolter variant to carry a scout squad, that might not be such a bad thing. You could also take a Rhino. :P

Archived