Pattison's painting adventures

pattison

Hail battle brothers!

Well I don't rush things, so I just lately came to finish my 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th space marine.

Let me share them with you, but please excuse me for the quality, I am still a beginner as you can see the numbers above...

My very first 4 guys became presents for my family so these Fists are the first half of my first actual tactical squad.

The second half will also be ready soon, I just still have to work a bit on the sarge.

I've been working on a squad of assault marines (from the Iron Knights chapter) parallel to the yellow lads, and will post pictures of them as well a bit later.

One thing to mention: The shading / highlighting of the yellow is very very hard to catch on a photo, and most of these are looking like if they were simple blank yellow without any accents, while I've been using 4 different yellows for the bright tones and skin wash for the shading. I don't really know how could I get the proper shades back on the pics, as it seems like that the loss is the same with artificial light and with natural light.

So just imagine their surface a bit more warm and shaded please. :)

Enjoy!

gallery_50927_4859_14061.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_16310.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_12337.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_12391.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_6765.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_46474.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_8422.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_25367.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_34198.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_15712.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_25184.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_15915.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_14882.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_5075.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_66.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_9054.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_13852.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_21034.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_969.jpg

gallery_50927_4859_14183.jpg

good job on the eye lenses :woot: I know how hard yellow is to do and you've a good strong yellow there (maybe just a bit thick in places but thats me being picky) and those fist decals are a bitch to apply (cut about 5 snicks in the edge for a better fit)

good job on the eye lenses :woot: I know how hard yellow is to do and you've a good strong yellow there (maybe just a bit thick in places but thats me being picky) and those fist decals are a bitch to apply (cut about 5 snicks in the edge for a better fit)

I like the tears. It gives them a chipped looked like they are battle worn

They look pretty good to me, the only issue I have with them at this point is the mould lines on a few, especially their arms. You need to remember to shave those down a bit before you prime the models. It seems really small when you look at it normally, but when you look at photographs of them, they really are noticeable.

Hey, thanks for all the comments guys!

Yes, I recognized that those mold lines became a bit more mold line-ish after painting. I shave the figures before basecoating, but I thought that those were on the edges anyway so they won't look bad. Well I shave the mold lines more carefully since these guys anyways, but that's true, that the photos are always merciless on the small details..

Actually the tears on the chapter symbols are intentional, and some other battle damages too. I wanted to give them some "real" battle damage, so before clearcoating I threw them together in a box, brought them to the club and played some matches. Okay, the bullet holes on one guys leg is made in a different way, but I was expecting for exacly this effect on the decals f. ex.

Cheers for the compliments again!

I've only started doing it recently to my minis, but I think it would improve your models if you took some black ink/thinned down black and used it in the recesses in the armor on the legs, groin, and shoulder pads. It adds a little distinction and contrast, as well as revealing all those little details on the models. It looks like you did this on some of the models with a darker brownish-yellow. Even if you didn't want to use black, a deeper, darker yellow would work too.

I've only started doing it recently to my minis, but I think it would improve your models if you took some black ink/thinned down black and used it in the recesses in the armor on the legs, groin, and shoulder pads. It adds a little distinction and contrast, as well as revealing all those little details on the models. It looks like you did this on some of the models with a darker brownish-yellow. Even if you didn't want to use black, a deeper, darker yellow would work too.

I didn't want to do direct blacklining, wanted to get bit more natural shades than direct dark lines.

That's why I used the VGC Skin Wash, which is an orange-red-brownish tone. On some of these guys the wash layer is a bit too thin, and the poor lighting takes off the lighter shades & highlights (as I mentioned in the first post). So that's why it looks like that I only used on some of 'em.

But seems like that we're on the same conclusion as I started to use a bit thicker wash layer on the figures I started since these to get more contrast in the shaded areas.

Hopefully you'll be able to see the difference on the forthcoming figures!

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I didn't want to do direct blacklining, wanted to get bit more natural shades than direct dark lines.

That's why I used the VGC Skin Wash, which is an orange-red-brownish tone. On some of these guys the wash layer is a bit too thin, and the poor lighting takes off the lighter shades & highlights (as I mentioned in the first post). So that's why it looks like that I only used on some of 'em.

But seems like that we're on the same conclusion as I started to use a bit thicker wash layer on the figures I started since these to get more contrast in the shaded areas.

Hopefully you'll be able to see the difference on the forthcoming figures!

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I have been picking up my BA successor chapter again, which obviously incorporate red. I use blood red with an ogryn flesh wash over it, which does the same thing as what you were doing with the skin wash. The red tones down real well and it does help bring out the recesses, but I was unsatisfied with the level of shading, so I used blacklining to help with the shading and contrast.

But like I said, the minis are awesome. I think if you use the thicker wash you were working on it will give that extra oomph. It should be fairly easy to go back and touch up the other guys you've already done, too.

Archived