Scout turn 1 assualt/melta shot

Fatuous

Quick question.

Scouts, infiltrate within LOS 18" away from an enemy unit. Take a 6" scout move, move 6" and can assualt 6".

Can they get in to range?

The melta bit is exactly the same question, but melta range, not charging (well maybe the charge afterwards).

Now I'd say (and have been playing) no they can not. You have to infiltrate a minimum of 18" away, so if you can actaully get there, you've positioned too close to begin with.

You'd get close but be a hairs width apart so to speak.

What do you play and why?

If you go to tournaments, how is this dealt with there, as it must have come up and I'd like some more opinions.

its a toughy, i never play it that way incase someone doesnt agree.. basically the counter argument is that you cant deploy within 18" and therefore must be 18.00001" away.. meaning you can never make it to combat.

Two ways to beat this, one is with LSS and scout bikes, the other is to take Shrike who grants fleet on all units

GC is right. You have to deploy more than 18" away, therefore with the 18" total charge you get from scouts you are still up to an inch away.

Theres no getting around that one, if you do all your moves and find you are within charge range then it is obvious you have gained slightly on your moves (which happens because of the human error inherent in moving models) however logically you shouldnt charge therefore you shouldnt try.

In a tournament you would be asked to move your guys back 6" away from the enemy because you had added additional movement during your move phase or you had infiltrated within 18" or you had scout more than 6". Either way if you tried it and your opponent realised they would call judge who would move you back and possibly give you a yellow if you were snotty about it and argued (that is if they had a decent grasp on the rules and can add).

Wan

Thats an interesting part in the roolebook however, because:

The rule for positioning them in LOS says - more than 18 inch - where you clearly cant get in close combat.

But the rule for not in LOS says "but not closer than 12 inch" - where exactly 12 inch would be fine according to phrasing.

But who wants to get into CC with scouts anyway :D

So I shouldn't be using my CC scouts then..........

I've only played a couple of games so far, but an infiltrated 10 man squads with fist and combi melta have done pretty well so far, altho they will be put in a LSS once iut is completed.

Infilitrate in and scout move, unload turn 1m and in for a charge on turn 2 seemed pretty good. I have been quite lucky on the armour saves tho so far... well till the hellound turned up lol

I've only played a couple of games so far, but an infiltrated 10 man squads with fist and combi melta have done pretty well so far, altho they will be put in a LSS once iut is completed.

Infilitrate in and scout move, unload turn 1m and in for a charge on turn 2 seemed pretty good. I have been quite lucky on the armour saves tho so far... well till the hellound turned up lol

Dont listen tot hese negative comments, scouts are very powerful once you learn how to use them.

ccw scouts wihthout shrikes fleet are probably better outflanking, you really want to gear them to anti-infantry, you dont want 10 S4 scouts charging vehicles if you can help it.. take a combi-flamer instead

The scouts must deploy like 18,00001 inches away (it says more then 18 inches in the infiltrate rules). This means first turn assault and first turn 6" melta shot are both impossible...

...Unless you take shrike. With him, first turn assaults with combat scouts are more then possible. ;)

I suppose its down to whether you measure from the base or the gun for shooting, my combi-melta hanghs over the base enough to make that one work <_<.

but yeah normally you wont be getting you 2D6 pen either... more reason to kit them out with combi-flamer instead.

I would suggest combi-plasma but my "left hand Dan" scout sergeant killed himself 3 times in one weekend

I suppose its down to whether you measure from the base or the gun for shooting, my combi-melta hanghs over the base enough to make that one work ;).

but yeah normally you wont be getting you 2D6 pen either... more reason to kit them out with combi-flamer instead.

I would suggest combi-plasma but my "left hand Dan" scout sergeant killed himself 3 times in one weekend

I'd politely ask you to read the rules again, and measure from your base ;)

Dont listen tot hese negative comments, scouts are very powerful once you learn how to use them.

ccw scouts wihthout shrikes fleet are probably better outflanking, you really want to gear them to anti-infantry, you dont want 10 S4 scouts charging vehicles if you can help it.. take a combi-flamer instead

Thanks, will give that a go. That squad is to be reduced and put in a storm, for anti vehicle work, and will try out a different sarge for the the rest of them.

Archived