Chaos Marince Combi-Weapons

I read under the discription in the Codex and looked at all of the units who were able to take them and no where did it say I had to at any time declare what kind of Combi-Weapon the model has. So I was wondering does that mean you declare the what you're firing as the Combi-Weapon (as in, Flamer, Plasma Gun, or Meltagun) when you declare you're firing the weapon? Or does the WYSIWYG "rule" apply to this situtation? But I can't think of any argument of why you'd have to be specific of the Combi-Weapon since the Codex does not say when you must declare what kind of Combi-Weapon it is.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?

The only reason they say "You may take a combi-weapon for yadayada amount of points" is so that in the army list entries they dont have

Combi Plasma 5pts

Combi Melta 5pts

Combi Flamer 5pts

That would be repetitive and waste some space, so they just say combi-weapon.

At the time of army list creation, the honorable thing to do is write down which combi-weapon you picked, pay the points for it, and represent it properly on the model.

I would say WYSIWYG applies in this case, considering that GW has Combi-plas, flamer, and melta in metal and plastic form, in multiple kits.

Imagine this situation.. A chaos player has lots of terminators with the plastic combi-flamer. You'd see them and be like oh okay, those are combi flamers. Then if you bring it up and he says "Actually, I just paid 5 points so they are whatever combi-weapon I want during this game", you probably don't want to play that person.

At the time of army list creation, the honorable thing to do is write down which combi-weapon you picked, pay the points for it, and represent it properly on the model.

I would say WYSIWYG applies in this case, considering that GW has Combi-plas, flamer, and melta in metal and plastic form, in multiple kits.

Imagine this situation.. A chaos player has lots of terminators with the plastic combi-flamer. You'd see them and be like oh okay, those are combi flamers. Then if you bring it up and he says "Actually, I just paid 5 points so they are whatever combi-weapon I want during this game", you probably don't want to play that person.

Oh yeah, didn't think about it like that! :sweat: haha, well then yeah it would be better to do the honorable thing, especially if you want to make friends :lol: Thanks!

The Codex says you may take a combi-weapon. There are three you may choose from. Combi-plasma, -melta, and -flamer. You can't take all three. You can't wait til you fire to specify as your list needs to be clear pre-game (and "combi-weapon" is not clear; what *type* of combi-weapon is it?).

The BA dex (and I think the SW codex) now have lines that ready like this: "May take a combi-plasma, -melta, or -flamer" in order to address this sort of confusion.

Tournament players take advantage of this and have magnets on their combi-weapons so they can change them before the game dependant on their opponent. It's WYSIWYG and still a combi. This will probably not be in the next edition.

Tournament players take advantage of this and have magnets on their combi-weapons so they can change them before the game dependant on their opponent. It's WYSIWYG and still a combi. This will probably not be in the next edition.

This would probably be considered cheating by alot of tournaments and get you thrown out and possibly banned. Every tourny I have played in you are not allowed to mess with your list or your models between games.

Oh, and I know it is hard to determine tone of voice over a forum, but FYI I did not mean to insult your tact or gaming attitude.

-Pho

That's ok, I understood what you were saying :) Thanks for letting me know though :(

Sounds good to me. Pay 15 points and be able to fire one flamer, one plasma and one melta attack... and if you play Inq., a stake crossbow (for another +5).

Sounds good to me. Pay 15 points and be able to fire one flamer, one plasma and one melta attack... and if you play Inq., a stake crossbow (for another +5).

Negitive each combi weapon requries the exchange of an existing weapon for chaos, and for inq and older dex's count against your total two handed weapon limit, which i beleive is one.

It would be a good idea to read the rules in question before giving people advice about how to do things, if you look at the unit entry or wargear sections its very clear that you cannot do what you describe.

Archived