Tau Battle Suit...legal configuration(s)?

thade

I'm trying to help my xeno-loving buddy get his Tau army to work; given that, I hope my deluge of Tau questions doesn't seem placeless any more.

The Tau codex has for several weapon systems two points listed in an X/Y fashion...where X is the cost of a single weapon system, and Y is the cost of it twin-linked (explaining it takes up two slots). No where does it say whether you can take two single-linked versions of the same weapon system.

For example:

Suit 1

- TL Burst Cannon (two slots)

- Drone Controller, 2 shield drones (one slot)

Suit 2

- Burst Cannon (one slot)

- Burst Cannon (one slot)

- Multi-tracker (one slot)

The first version has three re-rollable shots; the second version has six shots that don't get re-rolled, but it's six shots. Is there anything that makes the second load out illegal? Naturally the second load out would cost X + X instead of just Y in points...but if you're paying for it, why not? In all ways it seems better to me, as it's more shots (volume of fire) and Marker Lights could get even the normal battlesuits to BS 5 without too much trouble.

i think, (havent read the tau codex in awhile) that it says you cant buy individual weapons twice, only way to mount two of the same weapon is to twin link it. might be wrong though.

*edited* yup, im right, at the top of the wargear (page 25) it says no item may be chosen twice, and also explains that the second cost is for 2 weapons (counting as twin linked).

yeah i used to play tau, and it was something that confused me... i wanted to model twin linked weapons, but i saw that having two of the same type IS twin linking, so you cant fire them independantly.

Yep, two=twin linked, much like with the Eldar Wraithlord. Atleast the tau codex gives a price discount ;).

So no, you cant run around with two plasmarifles for slightly more points as an example. Your first suit is legal, your second is not.

It is in the Tau Empire Codex, page 25 Battlesuit armoury, the part that says: "Twin-linked battlesuit weapons system". It clearly says that 2 guns of the same type counts as twinlinked and counts as two support system.

i think, (havent read the tau codex in awhile) that it says you cant buy individual weapons twice, only way to mount two of the same weapon is to twin link it. might be wrong though.

*edited* yup, im right, at the top of the wargear (page 25) it says no item may be chosen twice, and also explains that the second cost is for 2 weapons (counting as twin linked).

Ah, there it is; I didn't link the "no item may be chosen twice" bit to "weapons"...I got greedy. <_< Ah well. Twin-linked is still pretty good. Makes that BS 3 not so bad, at least.

Thank you, all.

Archived