Rhino in terrain.

A Rhino is in woods (difficult terrain) and has a squad inside.

I wanted to tank-shock Kroot that were in the same woods.

I rolled a 1 for the difficult terrain test - immobilised - BBB pg 57

Now what happens to my squad inside?

I want to now disembark them - BBB pg 67

Does the vehicle count as having moved or does the vehicle count as not having moved.

As you might guess, I want to assault with my passengers, and depending on whether the vehicle has moved or not determines whether I can assault with the passengers....

Thank you for your help ;)

Okay, thank you Gentlemen.

I got to bash a Tau player extra savagely because I played it that the Rhino didn't move. ;)

I am confident I would have still won well, but it is better to win properly ;)

Well, the rules are not very clear. But the previously mentioned ideas are pretty common sense. If there is an issue dice it off.

I had a similar situation where I was going to tank shock 18" with a fast vehicle (Serpent), but it got immobilised after moving 10". Can the unit inside get out and shoot or not? The rules do not really address if you count the actual distance moved or the intended distance moved. I don't remember what we did, I think we diced it because it was a close game and it could make a difference either way.

Well they count as moved because the vehicle did move, or atleast tried to.

But I see no reason that theyd count as moving farther than the vehicle actually did for the purposes of getting out and shooting.

I agree Grey mage.

However, the problem that logic introduces is that you said "I see no reason that theyd count as moving farther than the vehicle actually did..."

Using that same logic on the rhino who got stuck before it moved then you use the actual distance the model moved. So the unit could get out and assault. As you said the rules don't introduce the concept of "intended" to move.

OTOH you do have a precendent (kinda) set by infantry models who try to move in difficult terrain. If you roll for difficult terrain, but then do not move you count as moving. But the vehicle rules then state to use the dangerous terrain rules instead of the difficult ones.

Eh, it is all messy. Just dice it off. :)

No no, we do know the vehicle moved- because it took the test and became immobilized, wich it could only do if it moved.

However its distance moved is nill, to the point where it cant affect disembarking, because it obviously didnt travel over 12". Unless of course it did you know :P.

Grey Mage has the right of it here.

Rhino didn't move = passengers can disembark, move, shoot, and assault.

Rhino did move or tried to move under 12" = passengers can disembark and shoot.

Rhino moved over 12" (only an issue for BA players) = passengers cannot disembark.

The "tried to move" is important just for this special case where it's insta-immobilized. It couldn't be immobilised if it hadn't tried to move. =( Basically it started to go, got it's treds locked, and shook your boys all up. Once they realized it wasn't going anywhere, they hopped out...but they waited more or less the same time they would have had it moved that 6"-12" and so they can't move any further than disembarking. Make sense?

Let's look at the following situation:

A player has two vehicles, both in woods (difficult terrain) and a set of dice which will cause him to fail all dangerous terrain tests. The player intends that the first vehicle is going to pivot in place, but doesn't say anything to his opponent because there's no requirement. As soon as the player begins that vehicle's move, he rolls the dangerous terrain test, and the vehicle becomes immobilized and unable to perform the pivot.

The player (not realizing his curse) goes to move his other vehicle. Unlike the first vehicle, the player wants to move this vehicle forward 6". Because the dice are cursed, as soon as the vehicle starts moving, the dangerous terrain test is failed and the vehicle fails to go anywhere.

Does anyone really want to use unstated player intent as a way of distinguishing those two scenarios, when the distance actually traveled is what is used if the vehicle manages to move before being immobilized? :unsure:

The question of the wave serpent being immobilised is a toughie. I would have thought that since you intended to move flat out - and got immobilised 10" in (not sure how this happened? you fly over terrain, its only bikes moving turbo boost that have isses with difficult terrain?) that the SPEED was sufficient to go the 18" you planned so Id have thought that at the moment of immobilising you would be going at that 18" a round speed...

(Think of it this way, you are travellign 50 meters a second, and at any point in that second you crash and come to an immediate stop... you were travelling 50m/s regardless of wether you stopped after 25 meters in that second.)

Just how I thought it might go, but im not sat looking at the rules, so i do apologise if im way off ^.^

And re-reading the post - you say you were immobilised at 10" when tank shocking so I imagine it was a case of Death or Glory immobilising... I think my original statement is true to physics, but as we all know, not necessarily true to the game ^.^

Let's look at the following situation:

A player has two vehicles, both in woods (difficult terrain) and a set of dice which will cause him to fail all dangerous terrain tests. The player intends that the first vehicle is going to pivot in place, but doesn't say anything to his opponent because there's no requirement. As soon as the player begins that vehicle's move, he rolls the dangerous terrain test, and the vehicle becomes immobilized and unable to perform the pivot.

The player (not realizing his curse) goes to move his other vehicle. Unlike the first vehicle, the player wants to move this vehicle forward 6". Because the dice are cursed, as soon as the vehicle starts moving, the dangerous terrain test is failed and the vehicle fails to go anywhere.

Does anyone really want to use unstated player intent as a way of distinguishing those two scenarios, when the distance actually traveled is what is used if the vehicle manages to move before being immobilized? :D

Unfortunately your scenario isn't even a valid one as pivoting on the spot doesn't count as movement for a vehicle, only for the troops inside. Player intent is defined by rolling a D6 to pass through difficult terrain. You wouldn't roll dice if you didn't intend to move.

Archived