The Wolves of Decay

I am a avid Space Wolf player, my first codex was the Space Wolves and my first model was Ulric The Slayer. I have always loved vikings and norse mythology and such, so the Wolves of Russ are a natural choice for me as an army. As was the choice to buy two viking based video games known as Too Human and Viking: Battle for Asgard. In both of these games there is aa common enemy, Hel. In Viking Asgard has been over run by the legions of Hel. The warriors of Hel are represented as undead, beastial vikings. In Too Human your character assaults Hel were the shuffling Undead rise up to fight against you.

Well these two sources have given me an idea, it is well known to SW players (or anyone who enjoys the wolves) that when a son of Russ dies in battle he has (hopefully) earned the right to join Russ and fight by his side at The Wolftime, and so the fallen are respected by their brothers as the honored dead and usually burned on a warriors pyre (after their gene seed is harvested of course). My idea is what if a company of wolves were either wiped out or betrayed by a servant or servants of Nurgle. And as a sick joke (but hilarious, at least for Father Nurgle) the corpses of these fallen brothers were either reanimated or possesed by daemons.

I am leaning more towards the idea of the company being destroyed by the daemons of Nurgle and then being possesed by those said daemons.

Now im not big on the whole pus and guts thing of the Death Gaurd (they were so much cooler to me before the Heresy) but i would try to represent them as the undead, probably through a mix of skeleton, zombie and SW bits. I would like to use the SW codex as i think Dire Wolves would be cool to have as undead Fenrisian Wolves but I also want to do something different so I will probably use the CSM codex. Is there a way i could put the undead wolves into a CSM army? I know Khorne has Flesh Hounds but they can probably only be taken if my units have the mark of Khorne (im not sure I dont have the codex).

Well thats all I have so far. Help would be appreciated

It seems like an interesting idea, but in all honesty, you'll need to either choose this as a themed Chaos Space Marine army or a themed Space Wolves army. It can't be both. Why? Space Wolves special rules are not represented by any unit in the CSM Codex and Mark of Nurgle is not represented by any unit in the Space Wolf book.

The wolves are fast and agile (ie counter attack) and the undead are sluggish (initiative 3 on Plague Marines). So it all really depends on which part you want to emphasize more. The undead or the wolves part. Either way, it'll provide some interesting modeling opportunities! Rotting wolf-pelts, plenty of skulls, sounds like a promising idea! Just needs a bit of fine tuning.

In my first post i stated that im going to use the CSM codex? So that actually has been decided. Im just not sure what the best way to do it is as i dont have the CSM codex yet, of course Nurgle is the patron god of my army because the bodies of the dead Space Wolves are possesed by Nurgle daemons so plague marines and marks of Nurgle are probably going to be a staple in my army. I may take possesed marines and represent them as possesed Wolf Gaurd. I would really like to have the undead wolves in my army though. I know i could take chaos marine bikers and just represent them with the wolves but then i dont want to mess with representing the shooting on them so Flesh Hounds of Khorne would be optimal. If i have to I'll do an undevided army.

Sounds like a great idea. Rotten unclean copses of undead marines, very nurgle. You may have the scorn of some SW players, and would make a great saga if you were to add some back ground to the way that it all happened.

Nice one, and good luck to the conversions.

Daemons and Marines are 100% seperate now except for summoned daemons and summoned greater daemons (Both super generic). Flesh hounds are no longer part of the CSM Codex, sadly. Only way I can see you representing them is as mounts for Bikers (just give them TL bolters from the Terminators in their hands) or as Chaos Spawn.

Sounds like a great idea. Rotten unclean copses of undead marines, very nurgle. You may have the scorn of some SW players, and would make a great saga if you were to add some back ground to the way that it all happened.

Nice one, and good luck to the conversions.

Eh I'm a wolf player myself so I think i could get away with it. And even at that the wolves in the undead army didnt willingly join nurgle, they fought to the last man and then their bodies were possesed so really its only the bodies. I'm actually planning on having a short tid bit of a SWL leading his men in a charge against the undead wolves and when he does he gives a speach about how the undead are no longer their brothers, their brothers fight beside Russ and these damned corpses are nothing but warp spawned remains, or something along those lines.

Just remember this if you are going to do a themed army: write the fluff first, then build the army the best that you can using a Codex. Themed armies usually don't translate well to the rules. I like your theme a lot. I say model 'em up, then play with them for fun.

I dont think I'll do them as lesser daemons but I am thinking about chaos spawn. Is there really no way to take Flesh Hounds in my army? I know it dosent exactly go with the fluff, are they one of the available summoned daemons? And it dosent really matter to me if they are cliche. Also If your only allowed to take mixed god units in an undevided army then I've come up with an idea for that to. Also thanks to Viking: Battle for Asgard, in the game are a number of human traitors who have betrayed their comrads to survive and work with the legions of Hel. So if i took an undevided list then i would take an undevided chaos lord that would represent a former member of the great company who betrayed his brothers to Nurgle in order to save himself (unlikly for a SW i know BUT there have been wolves who have turned traitor).

you could always model a spawn with a bunch of wolves heads and claws sticking out of them, nurgle killed them and brought them back to life, joining packs together, and using them as spawn. plus they could look really cool.

I just looked over the chaos codex next to me. The closest things for wolves is probably the lesser daemon statline if u want individual ones. Suggested above, Spawn are faster via fleet.

But if you want them to represent speed u are stuck with chaos bikes and chaos raptor assault marines.

If you really bling em out, assault marine wolves would be kinda cool. Not sure how u gonna represent a 3+ armor save model wise, but rules wise i have no objection. Undead daemons are hardy?

Make em a bit bigger like the ones the space wolves ride into battle and i could easily see it having a bike statline.

Just make them wolves on spawn bases. A tide of five of these things can be pretty damn scary!

And mate, when I say lesser daemons, I mean, there's one unit choice called "lesser daemons" with no options other then to take circa 20 of them max.

Archived