Heavy Armor..

RIGHT-Titan

I'd take a slightly broader definition of "long-range", but yeah. I'm not a staunch supporter of the firebase theory, but I do agree you need to be able to reach out and open up transports. I just don't mind if I do half my reaching in my movement phase.

Mostly, I'm not a fan of lascannons. They're very expensive anywhere you get them, and the math isn't on your side if you're trying to take out AV13+ at range. Generally autocannons are better at taking out AV10-12 due to weight of fire.

So, I think I prefer the TLAC/TLAC dred to the combi-pred. Haven't mathed that though. 5 points difference, 4 TLAC shots vs 2 AC + 2 LC shots, combi-pred can't move and fire. Hm...

Thing is, I like versatile stuff. There's nothing I hate more than e.g. having a godhammer full of hammernators vs horde ork.

The rifleman dred has quite a narrow range of stuff it can shoot efficiently at. The combi-pred has a slightly wider range, but still often finds nothing that it's particularly good at shooting. (partly because it can't move-and-fire)

I love to see a pair/trio of typhoons in a list. They can shoot anything short of AV14, and they can fire HB+2xFrag at hordes on the move.

Similarly, I've got a huge soft spot for 3x vindicator. Alas, it's not AP1 (damn you imperial guard with your medusa!) but it can shoot anything. Hordes => boom. MEQ => boom. Light tanks => boom. heavy tanks => boom. When your hammer is 3x vindicator, everything looks like a nail. :)

So, I think I prefer the TLAC/TLAC dred to the combi-pred. Haven't mathed that though. 5 points difference, 4 TLAC shots vs 2 AC + 2 LC shots, combi-pred can't move and fire. Hm...

Rather than math it, why don't you try it out. If not in-game, try just rolling the dice in scenarios about 10-15 times to check it out. Math-hammering it won't give you a realistic result. You don't get decimals that way.

Rather than math it, why don't you try it out. If not in-game, try just rolling the dice in scenarios about 10-15 times to check it out. Math-hammering it won't give you a realistic result. You don't get decimals that way.

Because to get a reasonable sample size, you'd need to do it like 500 times!

Tell you what. Since I'm a massive nerd, I'll simulate it. That's the same as rolling the dice a million times :lol:

I agree though. The math doesn't tell you everything e.g. you can't put a number on the fact that the rifle dred can move-and-fire, nor on the fact that the combi-pred has a wider selection of targets. Plus you're only considering the specific scenario you math.

TLAC/TLAC has a 53% chance to immob or better. Combi-pred has a 56% to immob or better. Based on 1,000,000 iterations. Assuming I got the simulation right, which I didn't necessarily :lol:

Thing is, I like versatile stuff. There's nothing I hate more than e.g. having a godhammer full of hammernators vs horde ork.

I love to see a pair/trio of typhoons in a list. They can shoot anything short of AV14, and they can fire HB+2xFrag at hordes on the move.

Similarly, I've got a huge soft spot for 3x vindicator. Alas, it's not AP1 (damn you imperial guard with your medusa!) but it can shoot anything. Hordes => boom. MEQ => boom. Light tanks => boom. heavy tanks => boom. When your hammer is 3x vindicator, everything looks like a nail. ;)

This, basically. I love speeders and I love vindicators, and have never regretted taking them in a list.

Archived