Imperial Guard and Deployment.

Morticon

Hey guys, I used searchy, but no dice.

Need your help with two questions.

The one i am pretty sure of, but would like the greater community to throw in their thoughts too.

1. In Dawn of War, can an IG player put down all his troop units ie: platoons, heavy weapons teams etc. due to the FOC note above infantry platoons in the codex?

2. With the above mentioned rule in consideration, may an IG player put a 10man infantry squad (belonging to a deployed FOC Troop selection) in reserve in a Valk ?

I am under the impression that the answers are:

1. No - on account that the rule for the IG is in relation to FOC selections not units. You are only allowed 2 UNITS. Or else SMs would be able to deploy dedicated transports too.

2. No - on account that the rule for IG says that they must deploy at the same time on the board.

Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks in advance.

I'm at work so cannot give page specifics, but here goes...

1. No. Just before the missions in the BRB it describes what to do with blobs like that. Basically, you can deploy two Troops units in DOW, not two Troops FOC's. This is why a tactical squad in a rhino counts as both those unit deployments. So no, an IG player cannot do that.

2. Yes he can. Here's the sequence: Part of one FOC get deployed. The rest are chosen as "Moving on Turn 1" or in reserve. Further, any unit in reserve is chosen to occupy a transport. Done! Now, when rolling for his reserves the rest of the platoon that isn't on the table is rolled for together; so far as I recall, this includes transport vehicles, whether they be dedicated or not. Hence, he'll roll once for the whole platoon, chimera or valkyrie carried squads included. It's a sneaky way to ensure they're on the table...although he could just fly on from Turn 1 without a hassle.

I believe it doesn't say they must be deployed all at once, because then they could never be deployed in DOW-style scenarios. I think it says that you must roll for them with a single dice from reserves. But don't quote me on that, I don't have my codex with me right now. Gimmee a few hours...

2. Yes he can. Here's the sequence: Part of one FOC get deployed. The rest are chosen as "Moving on Turn 1" or in reserve. Further, any unit in reserve is chosen to occupy a transport. Done! Now, when rolling for his reserves the rest of the platoon that isn't on the table is rolled for together; so far as I recall, this includes transport vehicles, whether they be dedicated or not. Hence, he'll roll once for the whole platoon, chimera or valkyrie carried squads included. It's a sneaky way to ensure they're on the table...although he could just fly on from Turn 1 without a hassle.

I believe it doesn't say they must be deployed all at once, because then they could never be deployed in DOW-style scenarios. I think it says that you must roll for them with a single dice from reserves. But don't quote me on that, I don't have my codex with me right now. Gimmee a few hours...

Thanks for that SH!

I think you're right. Don't know why i thought that.

But surely thats just their choice for designing an army that may not be able to deploy in 1/3rd of games? Is it any more unfair if i were to have a tactical squad with a flamer/PW and a lascannon, with a Rhino. If i want to be able to deploy it on the board then I have to sacrifice some of the potential from either the flamer and all the bolters, or the lascannon, making one or the other a waste of points as I can t combat-squad them...

I'd say all on or all off. This does mean that an IG platoon with anything other than basic infantry squads cannot ever begin the game on the board in DOW deployment (cmnd squad, all infantry squads combined is the two units, so no others like support squads or vehicles), but its the opposing gererals choice to accept that or design their list appropriately. Look at it from the point of view of a marine squad in the same light...

No, I was very right. "Each Infantry Platoon counts as a single Troops choice on the force organization chart when deploying, and is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves." When a mission calls for deploying limited Troops choices on the foc that first part will matter; until then we are left with Troops units being the standard.

its in the same vein as a tac squad and rhino. 1 slot of the FOC but two units for DOW.

every squad that forms a platoon is considered a seperate unit, the only difference being that you roll once for the entire platoon when it is in reserve and not one dice per squad.

i would say it is fairly clear that you can only deploy two parts of the platoon in DOW games. i realise others may not see it like that but that is my view on it.

Archived