Hail fellow brothers of The Lion

LokisSword

Hello all!

I am a new member here, having been browsing the site for just a few weeks.

I've just returned to wh40k after a 10 year hiatus, seems lots has changed and I'm slowly reading up on it all.

I have ditched my original Eldar army due to the purchases and repainting necessary to bring it all upto spec - so I've decided to actually follow up on my wish to make a DA force.

At the last gamesday I went to I bought a few bits and bobs so my current inventory awaiting paint is as such:

2 x 10 man Tactical squads

6 x Ravenwing attack bikes

8 x Deathwing termies (got to bolster em up to 10) Currently all SB and PF/CF with Sgt and H. Flamer and AC

IC in Term Armour

Chaplain in PA

Azrael

Standard Bearer

Techmarine

Attached is an image of my first test green marine, still deciding on company before I paint knee pad.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae137/LokisSword/Dark%20Angels/DA-mini-test.jpg

Anyway I'll update you all when I get a bit further back into gaming - however, to you all...

"May our Vengeance be swift - our Redemption absolute!"

Cheers,

LokisSword (Alex)

Brother-Sergeant Bohemond: Many thanks for the welcome, I shall do my upmost to bring only honour to the mighty Dark Angels! :P

I actually started painting that mini about 10 years ago - just finished him off the other day.. Unfortunately the red comes out day-glo on my camera despite it actually being fairly deep IRL. The other 9 are pretty close to being finished to - however I've just started the other tactical squad (new plastic marines) and I'm trying to remember what the hell paint formula's I used.

I'm pretty sure I used the old spraycan DA green and then washed with black ink and blended up from DA to goblin green.

Until I can get a paint match between the two squads I'm holding off putting the finishing touches on the metal squad incase I have to strip them down.

I'll post a comparison between a new and old model hopefully by the end of tomorrow - then you can all tell me how totally different they look!

Guess I should get my ass into CotI and get some squads turned out!!

Now for a gaming question:

I've just fleshed out my original 4 Ravenwing bikers with an additional 2 to fit the 'dex. Currently running the Sgt. with PW, Multimelta, Plasma, 3 x normal bikers. My question is, just how vulnerable are the bikes, are they generally much use other than the teleport homer for DWA?

Maybe a real noob question but I've not played 5E or a Marine army at all before and I've not seen much mention of them in the threads I've read so far.

How many bikes are people tending to take in 1500 pts worth for example?

Thanks again brother, all help appreciated!

Wow nice job. Very well done. 10 years for the mini huh? Here I thought I was slow lol. It just takes a bout a year for me to finish off a mini LOL. Just kidding ya, welcome to "The Rock" as some say.

Please post some more, I would love to see moe.

Welcome to the Rock LokisSword - always nice to see new faces and models :D. BTW great job on that classic marine, nice painting style.

Cheers

I

Isiah, many thanks for the welcome m8 - nice to join a forum where people welcome the noobies. Thanks for the comment on the marine, got a fair bit of classic stuff sitting about - however looking forward to getting stuck into some of the newer marine stuff soon.

HsojVvad, rather than fill the DA forum with my WIP's I've posted a thread in the painting and conversion forum: Here ya go...

No one got any comments on the use of bikes? Ah well atleast they look cool!

Cheers,

LokisSword

Bikes are fun. I used to run a list with 5 bikes + an Attack Bike, and they had fun munching tanks with Melta's. I included them in a list with Deathwing as well as Tactical Marines, and I think I may have got too excited and took to many different flavours of marines, as I never did do well with the army. Hope that made sense!

I like your models, but one complaint. your base. The outside is green. I never liked that, makes it look cheaper or something. Takes away. Maybe a dark brown or black maybe? For some reason, I always use a dark brown for my ring around the base. But then again that's me.

Cyrox is right, the models were originally based back in the days of 2E. Guess I'm just showing my age there!

However, if you look in the thread you'll see I'm rebasing them in desert colours with dark brown edges. Obviously looks much better. I'll post an update when I've redone them all. Glad people are digging the models :)) Going to try a ravenwing model later, will see what it comes out like.

Cheers,

LokisSword

That's a lovely test miniature Lokisword - I really like the green shading.

Now, welcome to the Rock!

As to your Ravenwing question, the bikes can be fragile if exposed to large volumes of small arms or reasonable quantities of heavy weapons fire. That said, they can gain cover saves from turbo-boosting, which can help. In a predominantly bike oriented force, the key is to use your speed to focus all of your army on a small section of the enemy before moving off and attacking another small piece. It's death by a thousand cuts rather than a knock out blow, so Ravenwing in general and bikes in particular are at their best when fighting on their own terms. Basically you should avoid exposing them to tons of fire by using terrain and range to your advantage. Close combat can be effective because of T5 but power weapons and powerfists can really spoil your day quickly, so Ravenwing are usually best used at range in small numbers.

In terms of using bikes within a more general force, you should aim to use them to supplement and support other attacks. Their speed means that they can react to potential threats quickly and add their firepower to your other units. If you have terminators, the additional threat they pose will also make your opponent think carefully about where your bikes are.

One last thing. Attack bikes are excellent, especially if you can get two of them to act as a tag team. They are very effective tank hunters and can also bring terminators into play, making them another headache for your opponent.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all, been lurking for a while as hadn't had much to update on.

I've finished assembling my Ravenwing, just need to finish priming, I've also finished my first new-style minature (I'll post up a shot when the lights a bit better :P Crappy bank holiday weather FTL!).

Apart from that I've not got much painting done, my times been limited to the evenings and I need to invest in a good painting light setup... any recommendations?

Gilly: Many thanks for the answer on the bikes, sounds like everyone uses them pretty much as highly mobile tank busters with the ability to scoot off and hold an objective if necessary. I'm going to be building my army as a tri-wing list, for the fluff and ability to collect as many models as possible - so I think 6 bikes will be fine for now. Onto Landspeeders :)

I've yet to play a game of 5E yet, missed games night at my local GW due to work - so I'm just spending lots of time with the codex right now lol!

In the meantime I've been working on a bit of CG today - after seeing the disappointment that was the Ultra-smurfs teaser trailer /sigh....

For now it's just trying to capture the forms / proportions of the minature, not uber smooth or detailed (although thats coming later!)

I'm posting it here as obviously I'll be modelling it as a Deathwing Termy!!

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae137/LokisSword/3D%20Art/termy.jpg

Comments / crits or ideas on what to do with the model when completed. I'm thinking I might illustrate one of the DW stories in the codex?

Regards,

LokisSword.

That CG is very slick actually. What program was it?

Welcome to the hallowed halls of the Rock.

On lighting, I use my main light at all times. But, if needing something bright, I high intensity plug in lamp on the desk works wonders. Make sure its moveable though.

On Land Speeders, ours are really underpowered in comparison to newer 'dexes. I would use Tornados primaraly, or Melta armed ones to DS behind enemy armour.

Hey Firenze,

Thanks for the positive feedback :) I'm a Maya user. I had a quick look at your DevArt site, like the latest terminator quick paint!

I've made a little more progress, "cheeks" blocked in and vents added:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae137/LokisSword/3D%20Art/bo.jpg

I'm really enjoying modelling this - although making slow progress at the moment...

I bought a flourescent anglepoise lamp with a 100w equivalent bulb, gives a really good white light.

Knocked the landspeeder idea on the head for now, next purchase is ven dread and preds / land raiders.

Cheers,

Alex

I use to try painting at nite as well, and thought I did a good job. Problem is when during the daylight, it was acutally a crappy job. from what I have been told you need to get those light bulbs that act like the sun, or something like that. So I quit for a while and only paint during the day now. So be carefull how you paint at nite. Dosn't matter how bright your house or room is, if it's not natural light, when you see your minis in the day time, it will look completely different, either it's crap or if it's good, the colouring that you wanted is not there, and it will just be different.

Get yourself one of those sun/natural light bulbs.

I use to try painting at nite as well, and thought I did a good job. Problem is when during the daylight, it was acutally a crappy job. from what I have been told you need to get those light bulbs that act like the sun, or something like that. So I quit for a while and only paint during the day now. So be carefull how you paint at nite. Dosn't matter how bright your house or room is, if it's not natural light, when you see your minis in the day time, it will look completely different, either it's crap or if it's good, the colouring that you wanted is not there, and it will just be different.

Get yourself one of those sun/natural light bulbs.

Yah, I was a 'daytime' purist to way back, however practicality of wife, kids and full-time work mean that post 7.30pm is painting time :)

I had already bought a 100w day-lite bulb, but to be honest its just not bright enough for close-up work. So I looked around and found this lamp from Argos.

It's a flourescent tube rather than incandescant bulb light which gives a 'whiter' light and seems to give slightly less sharp shadows. I'm thinking of getting a second to provide light from both sides.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it - i'll post some pics up soon of my nightwork :D

LokisSword

That would be great to see the pics, since I am starting to be a nite time painter again. Even though my painitng sucks, at least I picked up the brush again. I never thought of 2 lamps, I think that is a great idea, it should eliminate some of the shadows then.

Maya. I havent used that as of yet, only been using Lightwave 3D at college. I have some good renders hough from it, including a Baneblade and Shadowsword.

Very nice work, keep it up. You got your own Deviantart? Ill watch you.

• 1 year later...

Ok, for the love of the Emperor where does the time go?!?

I'm back in the hobby again, things got a bit hectic after my last attempt to get restarted - with all sorts of RL fun with the company I work for getting sold and potential to lose my job, etc. Luckily everything came good and I'm back here again.

Gutted I've missed the LPC this year - would have been a good foot up the backside to get some of these models painted.

Looks like a potentially interesting time to return with the 6th Ed rumours and potential new Codex.

Anyhow, I'm back and planning to be a hell of a lot more active this time.

Ok, for the love of the Emperor where does the time go?!?

I'm back in the hobby again, things got a bit hectic after my last attempt to get restarted - with all sorts of RL fun with the company I work for getting sold and potential to lose my job, etc. Luckily everything came good and I'm back here again.

Gutted I've missed the LPC this year - would have been a good foot up the backside to get some of these models painted.

Looks like a potentially interesting time to return with the 6th Ed rumours and potential new Codex.

Anyhow, I'm back and planning to be a hell of a lot more active this time.

Greetings brother.

Good time to be back indeed :)

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

Well I'm back again! 

2013 proved to be a particularly busy year but things seem to have settled down a bit now..

I've made a vow to myself to procrastinate a whole lot less and actually make some progress in my hobbies and interests (Article here made me take a serious look at things, I share in case it is useful to any here! http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-procrastinators-procrastinate.html)...

So since last time I've got the new Codex, bought new brushes, setup a proper desk/painting area and bought an expensive lamp.

I also still haven't played a proper game since 2nd Edition...

I've  just profiled my collection and I really am seeking the advice of my peers on what I should invest in next to round out the collection and give me some competitive options.

It's my objective to get a 1500 point army painted in the first quarter of this year so I can at least start playing (refuse to play with unpainted models :D ).

Here's what I currently own (not a lot of it painted mind):

HQ

Ezekiel

Company Master (DV)

Int. Chaplain in Terminator Armour Storm Bolter and Crozius

Int. Chaplain in PA  (DV Special Ed. Character)

Chaplain in PA (Crozius – other arm undecided!)

Librarian in PA (Force Weapon – other arm undecided!)

Librarian in PA (DV)

Terchmarine with Servo-arm (No servitors currently)

Potential Command Squad Members?

Company Champion (Old DA Captain Model Sculpt)

Standard Bearer

Troops

Tactical Squad 1 (10 Man) Flamer and ML, Sgt. Bolt Pistol
and PF

Tactical Squad 2 (10 Man) Flamer and ML, Sgt. Bolt Pistol
and PF

Tactical Squad 3 (10 Man) Plasma Gun and PC, Sgt. Plasma
Pistol and Chainsword

Elites

DW Squad 1 (5 Man) Ass.Cannon, 2 x CF

DW Squad 2 (5 Man) H.Flamer, 1 x CF

DW Squad 3 (5 Man) Ass.Cannon, 1 x CF

DW Squad 4 (5 Man) TH and SS

Dreadnought MM, PF and S.Bolter

Fast Attack

RAS1 (3 Man) Plasma Gun, Sgt. Chainsword

RAS2 (3 Man) Plasma Gun, Sgt. Chainsword

RAS3 (3 Man) Melta, Sgt.Power Sword

Assault Squad (5 Man) Plasma Pistol, TH and SS

Heavy Support

Predator (Magnetised for all options)

-------------------------------------------------

So basically I don't have any of the power units from our new Codex.. 

- Want to get Cyclone ML's for each of the DW Units, or atleast a couple to be able to switch them in when needed.

- Have no idea if standard RW bikes are any cop... should be fielded as units of 6?

- Flamer / ML in Tacticals - is this too old school, is there a better general purpose combo in 6th?

It's my Birthday and Pay Day this coming week so its pretty much a good excuse to blow some cash on some more models.

I'm currently thinking along these lines...

Belial - buy or bash one together.

DW Command Squad / Knights box - Use the contents to build 5 x Knights and mix the remaining parts with some AoBR / Tactical Terminator bitz to make a Command Squad.

RW Black Knights / Command Squad - Make up the RW Knights, possibly get some spare Plasma Pistols and convert 3 of the above standard bikers into Command Squad?

Whirlwind or Landraider?

Guide me Brothers - I seek your infinite knowledge!

RW Black Knights / Command Squad has my vote.  That unit has helped win me many a game, and has become feared by my gaming group.  Seeing as how you have a good amount of terminators as well Belial wouldn't be a bad investment either.

Archived