Hail fellow brothers of The Lion

LokisSword

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JJD / Cactus: Thanks guys, appreciated. I don't know how the mods would feel about duplicate postings - so I'll stick to bumping here when I've updated my WIP in the Painting forums....

In this weeks exciting issue I propose a new 'quick' method for painting DW bone, let me know what you think!

Click the linky linky to get it while it's hot!

Cheers,

Alex

• 2 years later...

So I'm back at it again. 

I've re-committed to the ETL effort and to my hobby time in general. Both my Wife and I are making a concious effort to balance our Work / Stress versus our creative time.

We've converted our Lounge from a TV / Slobbing about room into a Studio space that the whole family can use. This means I get hobby time without having to shut myself away from everyone else - Win - Win!

I've stripped the two Tactical squads I had painted and have decided on a new way to paint Green. Mainly air brush and then line highlights.

The main aim of this is making painting Green faster, but also I wanted a style with greater impact. 

So here's where I'm at now.

ETL Vow 1 - Start

start.jpg

ETL Progress 1

progress1.jpg

And here's a quick recap of my DW colout scheme in contrast!

both_schemes.jpg

I've also been busy working on a scratchbuilt Thunderhawk - but I'll post that up in my WIP thread in the Painting forums (link in Sig).

Cheers lads & lasses!

Very nice painting, well done! thumbsup.gif

I personally think the lime green highlight may be a little too vibrant for such a dark and secretive chapter's scheme, but it is very neat, it does stand out, and I am a fan of selective line highlights on armour in general.

If you're open to suggestions, maybe try adding a little beige or ivory to the previous highlight layer colour instead of using the lime green? Alternatively, perhaps try a little dark green wash/ink glazed over the model to moderate overall colour?

Either way, they look great I look forward to seeing more of your work. (Oh, and drill out yer bolters! ph34r.png )

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome back...

Bryan Blaire: I'll be sure to check in at their earliest convenience!

Tygwyn: Cheers buddy - that's a nice thing to say. Quite please myself as it's the first time I've really looked at doing sharp edge highlights instead of blending. Seems to be all the rage with the kids these days :)

Major_Gilbear: I'm aware the green is a bit of a "love it or hate it" thing and I'm ok with that. I love Dark Angel fluff and I love the models as well, but I tend to find that with the very dark green a sea of them on the table kind of blends together. In reality, seen at actual size the highlights are actually quite tiny and don't look quite as bright as they do in the epics.

Right I'm off to update my WIP thread with all the stuff I've been working on.

Hey Lokisword, welcome back. I really like the edge highlights you've done on those green marines - some nice blending in there too. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing them finished. My experience of extreme highlights is that they look far less extreme once other colours are added.

@ LokisSword:

I do like the green (you've managed a very neat and pleasing blend/highlight), I was just more concerned that the bright green would sail you close to the Christmas Tree look - especially if you were going to use red bolters!

Anyway, as I said, I look forward to seeing more. :)

Nice looking marines! I am a fan of the highlights and the depth you've accomplished with the dark green. I like their poses tool, it just looks right. You have some good shading and layering on your terminator too!

Glad to hear you have a hobby space! We've done the same thing at my house.

Archived