Necron Tomb Spyders

ShinyRhino

Just a couple quick questions on the Necron Tomb Spyders.

First, the descriptionof the unit says it's armed "Claws", but you can exchange one of the claws for a Particle Projector. Does this mean that the Spyder is originally armed with two close combat weapons, or not? I don't want this big metal bug getting any extra attacks on my tanks than it needs to.

Second, how does the Tomb Spyder's repair rule work? The rule says that if a Necron unit is not within 6" of a similar unit, it can still make a We'll Be Back roll if another unit of the same type is anywhere on the table, via the Spyder. The rules says Necrons repaired in this manner "join that unit." Which unit? The one that was destroyed, or the one that was anywhere on the table?

If it's any unit on the table, how does this affect killpoints? Say, for example, a unit of 10 Necron Warriors are shot down, but no other Warriors are within 6'. A SPyder is nearby, and another unit of 10 warriors is across the board. The Spyder allows the decimated Necrons to roll WBB, and join the living 10-man squad? Do they then become a squad of 10+however many make the WBB roll? Is the originally-decimated squad considered killed for the purposes of Kill Points?

I don't see these guys much across the table from my Marines, but it's still nice to know the right rules for them.

1) As it doesn't explicitly say "two sets of claws" I have never seen anyone add an attack for them. 3 attacks standard, 4 on charge.

2) I would say that the repaired Necrons remain in their own unit; for example, 6 get killed, Spyder is near, 5 roll 4+, so get up and carry on as a 5 man unit. Teleportation to the other side of the board seems unlikely.

If the Necron recovers then it will join that model's (currently non-represented) unit.

(My emphases and parenthesis)

1 kill point for the unit, kill points are not transferable. If 2 squads of Necrons are close to each other, squad A gets wiped, and next turn a few get up again, they join the squad B, but the kill point for squad A has still been achieved.

I think! I can see the possible re-interpretations, but I think the tin man would be pushing his luck to rely on them as arguments FOR complexity!

Necrons WWB works the same as normal with a tomb spyder except if the spyder is in range I think it can be a unit with 12 rather than 6? (I don't have the dex on me) and the rebuilt necrons will join the nearest unit of the same type. If their own unit is still alive (unless it has run miles) it will probably be in range without a tomb spyder :D but you never know :D

1. The extra attack for two weapons is already included, as it says further: "One claw may be replaced with blah blah blah. This will reduce the Spyder's number of Attacks by one." So, it'll be 4 on the charge with two claws, or 3 on the charge with one claw and PPC (I like to think it's a PPC anyway...).

2. This is also expanded: "...cannot self repair...it may still self-repair if there is both a Tomb Spyder within 12" and another model of the same type on the battlefield. If the Necrons recovers then it will immediately join that model's unit as normal. It's referring to the other model on the table still alive. So, a Necron that gets up via Spyder because of complete unit destruction can join any unit on the table of the same type. Teleporting, flying, doesn't matter the explanation, it happens. The original unit is destroyed and counts as a KP; now the other unit is totally bumped up in size, so it won't be so easy to get that other KP...

Necrons do not have any 'bonus' attacks for dual close combat weapons. The number of attacks in their profile is their base number. And as said before, the downed models given a We'll Be Back can teleport across the table due to the ToMb Spyder. You would be granted a kill point for destroying the squad, it just makes that other squad more difficult to remove.

Archived