Scratch Ultramarine Land raider

Wayward

Fantastic!

I've been considering scratch building a land raider. I remember years ago in White Dwarf a Deathwing army by Fred Reed where he had made a custom Land Raider that was inspired by the hull shape of British WW1 tanks. Last week I was considering trying to emulate that and concluded that it would probably be easier to build from scratch than to try chopping up and adapting a normal Land Raider. I was coming on here to ask if anybody had ever considered scratch building a land raider and here you are with the result!

<_<

Thanks all!

I must say that 80% of the build isnt hand-cutted, its 1-2mm MDF las cutted. Then there are the obvious bits, and last but not least there is some plasticard and even paper detail hand cutted. The little characters ("ultra", "XIII" and the like) are characters printed on paper then cutted with a very sharp hobby knife. I suck at freehand so there goes the solution. <_<

Next I´ll be doing a template for a Spartan pattern LR, but in the line of the new models, it will be something in the middle of a Spartan and a Phobos. This one will be 100% hand cutted in plasticard, so the templates will make sense for the rest of the world :P

Thanx a lot guys. Not too sure about the templates, first and more important, it goes against the forum rules to lend such things. Secondly, they were meant to be handled by a laser cutter, so the lay out its kinda imposible to trim with hand and knife. Probably all you get its a headache and a lot of cuts in your hand after trying them. Anyway, it isnt much different to any template out there on the net, its just looks heavier because I used thick MDF sheets, 2mm almost everywhere, plus 1mm for extra detailing. On the sides they go combined, so the lateral armor is 3mm thick. The tracks help a lot too, they are 4mm thick in the end.

Secondly, they were meant to be handled by a laser cutter, so the lay out its kinda imposible to trim with hand and knife. Probably all you get its a headache and a lot of cuts in your hand after trying them.

Hahahaha, sounds like architecture school all over again. Sorry, that made me laugh. Was the template layed out in CAD? i've been dying to get my hands on a lazer cutting tool. So many fun possibilities. your tank looks great by the way.

In general, There are lots of places on the internets that have a bunch of diferent templates. A google search should do the trick. i know there is a decent on in yahoo's groups. Sorry, i can't think of a link.

Very nice indeed.

Shows a good amount of feeling for composition, i.e how and where to place insciptions and where not.

The total opposite of what i would build, very clean and without too much detail, but then again,

very nice :)

Very nice indeed.

Shows a good amount of feeling for composition, i.e how and where to place insciptions and where not.

The total opposite of what i would build, very clean and without too much detail, but then again,

very nice :P

Man, Im kind of a fan of your BT raider... that thing is awesome. This tank is a gift for a friend, and he is very classy about his army, so I kinda hold myself with detalis and strange things... I had to insist on the dirt :D When I start working on my tanks theres gonna be more things going on for sure ;)

Thanx a lot guys. Not too sure about the templates, first and more important, it goes against the forum rules to lend such things. Secondly, they were meant to be handled by a laser cutter, so the lay out its kinda imposible to trim with hand and knife. Probably all you get its a headache and a lot of cuts in your hand after trying them. Anyway, it isnt much different to any template out there on the net, its just looks heavier because I used thick MDF sheets, 2mm almost everywhere, plus 1mm for extra detailing. On the sides they go combined, so the lateral armor is 3mm thick. The tracks help a lot too, they are 4mm thick in the end.

what kind of laser cutter did you used? and how much was it? because im looking at some for like 32000 thats a bit to much if it was only like 30000 i would not care.

what kind of laser cutter did you used? and how much was it? because im looking at some for like 32000 thats a bit to much if it was only like 30000 i would not care.

No idea lad. I just send them to cut by someone else, I dont own a laser cutter myself. Many interesting things I would posted already if that were the case ;)

Are the track links made the same way as the rest of the hull? They strike me as one of the most fiddly and time consuming elements of the project.

The tracks are made in the same way as everything else, las cutted then hand assembled. The only casted pieces are the obvious ones, hatches, weapones and the like. I thought that would be a pain too, but once I made three piles with the different elements in an hour or two I had all the tracks assembled. Maybe two hours is a lot of time just to get 15-20 track slabs done, but in the whole thing isnt that much, and it really makes the whole thing stand out, so I guess it was worth the effort.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived