Command Squad question...

Did a search function on the board & didn't find anything (although I'm positive something like this has been discussed before)...

In previous editions of the codex it was clear that the HQ and retinue stay together until death do us part, however, upon reading the latest codex last night it struck me how the wording has changed...

Page 132 Space Marine Codex: "You may take one Command Squad for every Space Marine Captain in your army (including Captain Sicarius, Captain Lysander, Shadow Captain Shrike and Kor'sarro Khan). This unit does not count against your HQ allowance."

It simply says you can take a command squad, nothing about it needing to be deployed with/fielded with the captain. Page 55's entry on the command squad says nothing of them needing to be deployed/fielded together either.

So, my question is... if I field a captain in my army as well as a command squad, do they need to be deployed/fielded together as one unit, or can they be deployed/fielded separately?

The command squad does not need to be deployed with nor remain with the IC that allowed their inclusion in the army. That would make them a retinue and they are not marked as being such. Retinues have/are pretty much disappearing from 40K at a rate of knots.

So yes the command squad can deploy independently wherever it likes. The IC is of course free to deploy with his command squad, or join (or leave) it at any time during the game, in the same manner an IC can with other units.

Cheers

I

Not neccessarily - no more stupid than a captain sending some of his men off on a missino under a trusted officer (Chaplain/Librarian)... They are there to see that his will is done, and remind his men of his intent.

Same as the Roman legions standards were a symbol for the Emperor. They were a sign on the battlefield, and an object of worship in the camp, representing the Emperors and Rome.

A company command squad is a visble reminder that the Captain, although not necessarily able to be there himself, attaches importance to the job they're doing.

Archived