Deep Striking Teleport vs JP ICs and the reserve roll

shatter

I'd say no for the reserves entry together. Teleporting arrives "like deep striking", but is not the same. Homers and Beacons maintain a separation of method. You can deep strike them separately and join up the next turn in the movement phase. Alternatively, start them on the board ans a joined group and walk across to me at terminator speed.

I'd say no for the reserves entry together. Teleporting arrives "like deep striking", but is not the same. Homers and Beacons maintain a separation of method. You can deep strike them separately and join up the next turn in the movement phase. Alternatively, start them on the board ans a joined group and walk across to me at terminator speed.

Teleporting doesn't arrive "like deep striking"; not even sure where that quote came from. The Terminator armor rules state that models in TDA may "arrive using the Deep Strike rules" (emphasis mine). Also, on p52 of the BRB, it says Jump infantry "may enter the battle via Deep Strike", with a reference to the Deep Strike rule in the same book. Both of these unit-types refer only to Deep Strike in the BRB, and neither of them - nor the DS entry in the BRB itself - says anything with regards to whether mixed units (i.e. units composed of models using teleport or jump packs) can deploy together.

Locator Beacons work for teleporting as well as jump packs, Drop Pods, whatever; Locator Beacons work for anything using the Deep Strike rule. It is non-specific as to the means of Deep Strike. If anything this is only more fodder to the pro-DS-together argument.

So if you want to DS Shrike (an Independent Character with a jump pack) with a squad of Terminators (teleporting), nothing says that they cannot be deployed together via Deep Strike. It may seem foolish to some (and with that, I don't necessarily disagree) but it's in the rules.

In addendum, I would assert that any BA unit doing this would have a hard time maintaining that such a unit can use Descent of Angels...and, best case, the terminator model(s) would scatter normally (2d6) while the jump pack model(s) would scatter on 1d6. That's a different can of worms though. :)

To the addendum:

I believe this would fall under the same rule as why I unit with fleet loses fleet when joined to a unit without it and vice versa. I don't have the codex with me I'm pretty sure it mentions that everyone in the unit must have Descent of Angels for it to work.

To the addendum:

I believe this would fall under the same rule as why I unit with fleet loses fleet when joined to a unit without it and vice versa. I don't have the codex with me I'm pretty sure it mentions that everyone in the unit must have Descent of Angels for it to work.

Except a unit with fleet that joins a unit with fleet from a different source they dont cancell out because they both have fleet.

Example: Kosarro Khan on Moondrakken joins a unit of assault marines using Shrikes chapter tactics.

Both units have deepstrike. there is nothing in either rules set that states an IC with DS cannot accompany them. Thus, per the standard rules, the IC can also deepstrike with the unit.

Teleportation or Jumping out of a TH, it makes no difference to the game.

To the addendum:

I don't believe it states that everyone must have DoA for it to work, but it is a logical assumption that a jump unit with a terminator IC loses DoA.

I don't believe it states that everyone must have DoA for it to work, but it is a logical assumption that a jump unit with a terminator IC loses DoA.

That's my feeling as well, that it is a logical assumption. =)

The wording on DoA is just that "models with this only scatter 1d6" and the jump pack gear in the BA codex states that models with jump packs have DoA. The Termies doesn't have DoA so...the whole unit, she be scattering 2d6 in this case, I believe.

To the addendum:

Except a unit with fleet that joins a unit with fleet from a different source they dont cancell out because they both have fleet.

Example: Kosarro Khan on Moondrakken joins a unit of assault marines using Shrikes chapter tactics.

Both units have deepstrike. there is nothing in either rules set that states an IC with DS cannot accompany them. Thus, per the standard rules, the IC can also deepstrike with the unit.

Teleportation or Jumping out of a TH, it makes no difference to the game.

That was a much better way of summing up what I was trying to say. I think my point sounded clearer in my head then it did when I finally had it typed out.... Thanks for the eloquence GM!

Archived