Scout bikes come with shot guns? What?

thade

Bikes are Relentless (so they can fire rapid-fire/heavy weapons and then assault after they do, per that rule).

Scouts on bikes have bolt pistols and shotguns, and the bike is mounted with a twin-linked bolter...which you can replace with an Astartes grenade launcher, BOTH of which can rapid fire.

I'm at a loss as to why you would ever fire the shotgun?

Shotguns are Assault 2 at 12", Str 4, no AP.

Boltguns are Rapid-fire at 12", Str 4, AP 5.

Either of these are firing with two shots at assault range, and the boltgun is twinlinked. Not to mention, I might instead have a grenade launcher on there...which can hit with a small blast template or two str 6, ap 4 shots pre-assault.

So...why on earth is there a shotgun? @_@ Just for looks? I mean, it does look cool...but I can't see a tactical use for it.

Anybody?

EDIT: Boltguns are Str 4, not Str 5; fixed.

It's probably just that. Allows you to model Scouts with shotguns, but isn't really all that useful.

The Chapter Champion can trade his pistol for a combat blade, which is a useless upgrade (I might have the wrong things here, don't have my Codex right now) but allows you to arm him as the Ultramarines Honour Guard model.

they also have a useless pistol, its just one of those weird quirks with bikers. that relentless rule messes up basic wargear..

I guess they are basic scouts mounted on bikes, what are the options:

bolter (with twin bolter would be wasted too)

shotgun (looks cooler than bolter)

ccw (would unbalance the squad to have sooo many attacks)

sniper (with relentless would be uber cool and perhaps unbalance them aswell)

basically the shotties were the best amongst the options, no other reason really

I just base-coated five of the bad boys and am sitting down to plot out assembly/magnets, that sort of thing. It's too bad I can't give them ccw/pistols to go with those relentless grenade launchers ;) but I can understand why.

GW often give units rules based on what the models that existed at the time had - as it also allows people with older models to still use them.

Hence the return of the las-plas razorback (vale Multimelta razorback, though).

Older scout biker models had shotguns.

The fact that ALL bikes have relentless now makes most of the wargear they carry now useless, but they are still modelled this way because it looks cool. There's the "Arnie-T-800 terminator on Harley with shotgun pose" thing which is cool.

The Chapter Champion can trade his pistol for a combat blade, which is a useless upgrade (I might have the wrong things here, don't have my Codex right now) but allows you to arm him as the Ultramarines Honour Chard model.

The Chapter Champion has a boltgun by default.

He also has a power weapon and a bolt pistol by default also. The combat blade option not only adds nothing to the character(he has 2 ccw already), but actually takes away from his usefulness(removes the ability for the one shot at 24 inches or rapid fire at 12 or less).

As to the scout loadout, the only thing i can think of is maybe it's a relic from old rules where bikes weren't relentless or where bikers could dismount and become regular infantry. Other than that it serves no purpose in the current game that I can find except fluff.

Boltguns are Rapid-fire at 12", Str 5, AP 5.

I would loove so ! As expected for a mini rocket launcher ! ;)

I think the shotgun is useless and its' here because of Arnie-coolness.

Is it possible rulewise ? Regarding CCW, do they have +1 A for pistol + CCW ? Silly, how do you do that, with three hands, one for each weapon, one for the bike ?

Sniper on bike, yeah LOL, at least you can attach it to the bike, and it becomes very clear why it's BS 3 when driving fast in cross country mode ! Aiming a sniper rifle is not that simple, even for an astarte... :)

Is it possible rulewise ? Regarding CCW, do they have +1 A for pistol + CCW ? Silly, how do you do that, with three hands, one for each weapon, one for the bike ?

Sniper on bike, yeah LOL, at least you can attach it to the bike, and it becomes very clear why it's BS 3 when driving fast in cross country mode ! Aiming a sniper rifle is not that simple, even for an astarte... :o

no its not possible to exchange basic weapons, only bike weapons may be upgraded.. although if you could swap the bolter for ccw as you could with normal scouts then yes they would get +1A, which is why i said it would unbalance them.

It's worth noting that chaos bikers come with a BP+CCW...

But then again when's the last time you saw chaos bikes on the table? :)

EDIT: they of course steer the bike with their knees. Or carry their chainsword in their teeth. Both options would do the job. :)

It's worth noting that chaos bikers come with a BP+CCW...

But then again when's the last time you saw chaos bikes on the table? :lol:

EDIT: they of course steer the bike with their knees. Or carry their chainsword in their teeth. Both options would do the job. ;)

Reminds me of that one character from One Piece, Zolo I think his name was.

On a sort of related note, Ravenwing sergeants can still get BP and PW as our PW doesn't replace the BP.

Archived