Returning to the hobby.

Archroy

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/the_clarn/16052010213.jpg↲↲

As I mentioned in a different post, I've been away from painting for probably just over 15 years, and am just starting to get back into it now. This is my 1st fully completed figure (that is with base and everything - I've got about half the Assault on Black Reach box painted), and I was wondering if it would be generally considered "tabletop" quality? Any comments or suggestions would be welcome...

Hi there!

The painting is looking pretty nice, perfect for the tabletop. I'll admit until the other week I was a drilling newbie as well. I'd suggest a pin vice with 1mm drill bits for working with bolter barrels. If you use the point of a knife to create a guide point you should be able to drill the barrel fairly easily without ruining the barrel (which happened to one of my Drop Pod barrels. :o)

Good luck with the drilling.

I personally use the GW pin-vice. Suits my needs, and isn't that expensive. And easy enough to get; GW online/in store, independent hobby store that stocks GW.

Considering neither plastic, and the metal models are very tough, you don't need anything with electric power to get the job done.

If you don't want a GW tool/price, you might be able to find a cheaper pin-vice through a google search.

Check your local hobby shops they usually have them in stock I perfer the one with wooden ball on the end it helps steady the hand for drilling

Well, my opinion is that it is in fact superior to basic tabletop quality. My only criticism is the bolter barrels, but you don;t even have to drill them, just paint some black circles! Otherwise I quite like the shading, and the overall muted Crimson Fists scheme is very nice.

Archived